Tow-bar cycle carriers - any thoughts on Witter, Thule, etc?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew Hardy, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Andrew Hardy

    Andrew Hardy Guest

    <newbie> Hi,

    We've decided that our two bikes are to go on holiday with us, so we need a better method of
    transport than just putting down the back seats and pushing them in!

    As the wife is not overly tall and not overly strong, we've ruled out roof mounting. I don't like
    the idea of balancing bikes on the hatch of my Vectra, so we've plumped for the tow bar mounting.

    Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter. The Thule looks neat, especially the 'Hang On' as
    it fixes directly to the tow ball without the need for a seperate mounting - the 'Ride On' looks the
    easiest to set up but is limited to just the two bikes (we sometimes take 'spare' kids out!). The
    Witter looks solid!

    Are these OK, should I be considering others? Do they really just sit on the tow bar without extra
    straps to the car? Are there any more flexible models that would let us occasionally put four bikes
    without have a much larger constant overhang?

    Andy </newbie

    Tags:

  2. www.roofbox.co.uk they know their stuff :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "Andrew Hardy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <newbie> Hi,
    >
    > We've decided that our two bikes are to go on holiday with us, so we need
    > better method of transport than just putting down the back seats and
    pushing
    > them in!
    >
    > As the wife is not overly tall and not overly strong, we've ruled out roof mounting. I don't like
    > the idea of balancing bikes on the hatch of my Vectra, so we've plumped for the tow bar mounting.
    >
    > Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter. The Thule looks neat, especially the 'Hang On' as
    > it fixes directly to the tow ball without the need for a seperate mounting - the 'Ride On' looks
    > the easiest to set up
    but
    > is limited to just the two bikes (we sometimes take 'spare' kids out!).
    The
    > Witter looks solid!
    >
    > Are these OK, should I be considering others? Do they really just sit on
    the
    > tow bar without extra straps to the car? Are there any more flexible
    models
    > that would let us occasionally put four bikes without have a much larger constant overhang?
    >
    > Andy </newbie>

    I have roof mounted and towbar version (both Thule) and you would be surprised on how tough the
    towbar one is!

  4. Rg

    Rg Guest

    > Brake calipers wanted to buy: And possibly also: Campag Athena, Chorus or Record SINGLE
    > PIVOT rear,
    > mid/late 1990's, allen key type.

    Would you believe it? Despite being a notorious hoarder I threw a set of '91 Athenas away thinking
    "nobody'll want them". Sorry Pete, you could have had 'em for the cost of post. (useless offer of
    the year award deserved for that!). However........I did keep the Athena 53/42 chainset and Record
    BB and a pair of little used Mach 2CD sprints on Athena screw ons should you or anyone else be
    interested.

    Pete.

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Andrew Hardy
    <[email protected]> writes
    ><newbie> Hi,
    >
    >We've decided that our two bikes are to go on holiday with us, so we need a better method of
    >transport than just putting down the back seats and pushing them in!
    >
    >As the wife is not overly tall and not overly strong, we've ruled out roof mounting. I don't like
    >the idea of balancing bikes on the hatch of my Vectra, so we've plumped for the tow bar mounting.
    >
    >Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter.

    >Are these OK, should I be considering others?

    They are good makes, I'm sure they are ok, though no experience of these sorts of racks.

    Another good name to have a look at is Pendle.

    <http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/>

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:00:05 +0100, "Andrew Hardy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are these OK, should I be considering others?

    Yes they are OK, and there are others. www.roofbox.co.uk know their stuff; I have a Tradekar 4-bike
    hitch rack from them and very good it is too.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  7. Garykerr4

    Garykerr4 Guest

    I have been using the Pendle 4 bike rack for about 2 years, it is secure and give good piece of mind
    when driving. It has the benefit of securing the bikes by both wheels and the frame, those bikes are
    going nowhere. I highly recomend it.

    Gary

    "chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Andrew Hardy
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > ><newbie> Hi,
    > >
    > >We've decided that our two bikes are to go on holiday with us, so we need
    > >better method of transport than just putting down the back seats and
    pushing
    > >them in!
    > >
    > >As the wife is not overly tall and not overly strong, we've ruled out
    roof
    > >mounting. I don't like the idea of balancing bikes on the hatch of my Vectra, so we've plumped
    > >for the tow bar mounting.
    > >
    > >Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter.
    >
    > >Are these OK, should I be considering others?
    >
    > They are good makes, I'm sure they are ok, though no experience of these sorts of racks.
    >
    > Another good name to have a look at is Pendle.
    >
    > <http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/>
    >
    > --
    > Chris French, Leeds

  8. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:00:05 +0100, "Andrew Hardy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><newbie> Hi,
    >
    >We've decided that our two bikes are to go on holiday with us, so we need a better method of
    >transport than just putting down the back seats and pushing them in!
    >
    >As the wife is not overly tall and not overly strong, we've ruled out roof mounting. I don't like
    >the idea of balancing bikes on the hatch of my Vectra, so we've plumped for the tow bar mounting.
    >
    >Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter. The Thule looks neat, especially the 'Hang On' as
    >it fixes directly to the tow ball without the need for a seperate mounting - the 'Ride On' looks
    >the easiest to set up but is limited to just the two bikes (we sometimes take 'spare' kids out!).
    >The Witter looks solid!

    We've got a Witter. It has a hefty plate you bolt onto the end of the towbar bracket (replace the
    tow ball if needed) and a socket into which fits a pole with arms. They claim you can fit 4 bikes on
    it, but the best I've managed is three. Beware the max download on your towbar - see manufacturer's
    spec for details. I substituted some nylon self locking straps for the bungees they provide with it.
    We've had ours about 6 years, still going strong, but the padding on the arms is a bit knackered.
    You'll probably need a lightboard and number plate as well.

    >Are these OK, should I be considering others? Do they really just sit on the tow bar without extra
    >staps to the car? Are there any more flexible models that would let us occasionally put four bikes
    >without have a much larger constant overhang?

    For four bikes look at Maxrack (sp?) or Pendle.

    Tim

  9. Andy Hardy

    Andy Hardy Guest

    In message <[email protected]> , Andrew Hardy
    <[email protected]> writes
    ><newbie>

    >Two makes have caught my eye - Thule and Witter. The Thule looks neat, especially the 'Hang On' as
    >it fixes directly to the tow ball without the need for a seperate mounting - the 'Ride On' looks
    >the easiest to set up but is limited to just the two bikes (we sometimes take 'spare' kids out!).
    >The Witter looks solid!
    >
    >Are these OK, should I be considering others? Do they really just sit on the tow bar without extra
    >straps to the car? Are there any more flexible models that would let us occasionally put four bikes
    >without have a much larger constant overhang?

    ></newbie>

    Thanks for all your thoughts, I'm still following up on all the suggestions! Whilst looking at the
    Witter, I saw mention of using a strap to stop the carrier 'flexing' . I've not seem similar for the
    Thule or the Pendle bike ride on-style carriers - are they not affected in a similar manner. I also
    came across a MaxxRaxx which sounded very simple to use - anyone have experience of this?

    --
    Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849