Towing a bike with a bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?

    Something like a Q/R lever to bolt the front forks onto my luggage rack, with something to carry the
    front wheel?

    Have I just done myself out of a patent?

    Love and hugs from Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

    Tags:

  2. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?

    Yes, I have seen such things in Germany. I can't help you much beyond that though!

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:59:40 +0000, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?

    I built one - it mounts on the rack of the trailer bike (yes, even our trailer bike can take
    panniers!) and allows us to tow Peter and his two-wheeler to the park. The handlebars hook onto the
    contraption at the stem - it wobbles a bit, but works acceptably well.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?
    >
    > Something like a Q/R lever to bolt the front forks onto my luggage rack, with something to carry
    > the front wheel?
    >
    > Have I just done myself out of a patent?
    >
    > Love and hugs from Rich x
    >
    > --
    > Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    > the @ sign

    Is this what you are looking for: http://www.dcf.dk/shop2000/02boern.htm -it's all in danish. The
    price is aprox £400 (I think) It's very common in Denmark and a nice way to give the kids a feeling
    of travelling in traffic. Can be used with several bikes. BR Kasper /DK

  5. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Richard Bates"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?
    > >
    > Yes, I have seen such things in Germany. I can't help you much
    beyond that
    > though!

    I've a vague recollection of a machine where the following bike had its front wheel removed and
    attached over the rear wheel of the front bike. I must have seen it about 20 years ago. I can't
    imagine how that would handle.

    Or did I dream the whole thing up.
    --
    Mark

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?
    > >
    > Yes, I have seen such things in Germany. I can't help you much beyond that though!

    I can confirm they exist and have seen such things for sale in the UK (on a web site). But, being a
    useless tw*t I too have no references.

  7. On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:03:27 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I built one - it mounts on the rack of the trailer bike (yes, even our

    Cool! Any chance of a pic please if you have a digital camera?

    Would it cope with towing an adult size bike?

    richard at cuddle clara co uk (ADSL)

    Love and pixels from Rich xx

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  8. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:15:20 GMT, "Kasper Navrbjerg" <[email protected]> in
    <IZyU9.24349$ZE1.514019[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is this what you are looking for: http://www.dcf.dk/shop2000/02boern.htm

    Thanks! But what I'm looking for is a device to let me transport a fullsize adult bike behind my own
    bike (ie 2 bikes but only 1 rider), without having to disassemble the spare bike, and without having
    to use a trailer. (And without using the "Oxford Tandem" method).

    The idea is that I will arrive at a destination with two bikes and meet someone, who will then
    subsequently ride the 2nd bike. At the end of the ride, I will link the two bikes together again and
    take them both home on my own.

    Love and tandems from Rich xx

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  9. "Kasper Navrbjerg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Any contraptions around to let me tow a bike behind a bike?
    > >
    > > Something like a Q/R lever to bolt the front forks onto my luggage rack, with something to carry
    > > the front wheel?
    > >
    > > Have I just done myself out of a patent?
    > >
    > > Love and hugs from Rich x
    > >
    > > --
    > > Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before the
    > > @ sign
    >
    > Is this what you are looking for: http://www.dcf.dk/shop2000/02boern.htm -it's all in danish. The
    > price is aprox £400 (I think) It's very common in Denmark and a nice way to give the kids a
    > feeling of travelling in traffic. Can be used with several bikes. BR Kasper /DK

    And the homepage of the manufacturer is here:
    http://www.burley.com/products/childrens-products/default.aspx ...perhaps a little more usefull as
    it is not in danish only ;o) BR Kasper /DK

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > Cool! Any chance of a pic please if you have a digital camera?

    Sorry, I blew the cash on a bent :-D

    > Would it cope with towing an adult size bike?

    It would need to be modified because it's a bit low, but I can't see why not. It's a bit rough &
    ready though - made from tannalised tile batten. Like I care!

    How far and fast do you want to tow? You could probably buy a ready-made Trailgator if you needed to
    go fast and/or far.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:00:30 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Sorry, I blew the cash on a bent :-D

    Fair enough!

    >How far and fast do you want to tow? You could probably buy a ready-made Trailgator if you needed
    >to go fast and/or far.

    Speed is not an issue - and I only need to tow it about a mile to a park where someone else would
    meet me then ride the second bike solo.

    I could of course stick two bikes in the car, but I have principles!

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > Speed is not an issue - and I only need to tow it about a mile to a park where someone else would
    > meet me then ride the second bike solo.
    >
    > I could of course stick two bikes in the car, but I have principles!

    Ride the two bikes at once.

    No, really, it's not very difficult as long as there aren't serious hills and you're not in a hurry.
    Choose the more stable bike for yourself and ride it with the hand that's easiest (taking into
    account strength, braking effect and gear selection). Hold the other in the middle of the bars,
    don't go too fast, practice a bit with no traffic about first. I've delivered bikes to the LBS a
    couple of times like that, and delivered my MTB to a friend to borrow, both trips a couple of miles
    with some bijou hill-ettes and light traffic on suburban roads.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  13. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:31:14 +0000, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> in <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ride the two bikes at once.

    Actually, I guess as the Highway Code tells me to keep my hands on the handlebars (plural) then it
    is perfectly legal!

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  14. On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:46:17 +0000, Richard Bates <[email protected]>
    in <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Actually, I guess as the Highway Code tells me to keep my hands on the handlebars (plural) then it
    >is perfectly legal!

    And strangely, rule 54 says I MUST NOT use cycle parking facilities!
    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  15. Martyn Bolt

    Martyn Bolt Guest

    I think the commercial one is called acrocodile or similar. About £70, I don't know if Halfords bike
    hut has them but one or two LBS have.

    Martyn