Townsville to Cairns Ride starts Thursday 29 July

HughMann

Jun 22, 2004
The Children's Cancer Institute Australia ride from Townsville (North Queensland) to Cairns begins on this Thursday.

They are probably very close to the 200 rider limit as there were 184 registered last week. The most ever.

Hoping to raise $ 100,000 for research into Children's Cancer.

Day 1 Thursday, is Townsville to Ingham, 110km fairly flat but very scenic with mountain ranges covered in tropical rainforest to the left then sugar cane farms for miles.

Day 2 Friday, is Ingham to Innisfail, 150km with the Cardwell Range to be crossed just after the start. Very difficult climb (walk) but the view of Hinchinbrook Island and the Channel from the top are fantastic.
Then down to Cardwell and more scenic ranges and then more cane farms and bananas closer to Innisfail.

Day 3 Saturday, is Innisfail to Cairns, 90km fairly flat again and farms, farms , farms. Bananas, sugarcane , pineapples mostly. Again fabulous mountains to the left and we pass Mt Bartle Frere, Australias largest mountain at 1615m (its s freestanding lump not a pimple on a range like Kosiusko)
Arrive in Cairns at about 1.00 pm for civic welcome and all the fun.

I will try to post some highlights here each night of the ride IF I can find a Net Caffee (might be a challenge first 2 nights)

Hugh

HughMann said:
The Children's Cancer Institute Australia ride from Townsville (North Queensland) to Cairns begins on this Thursday.

They are probably very close to the 200 rider limit as there were 184 registered last week. The most ever.

Hoping to raise $ 100,000 for research into Children's Cancer.
Hi

Sounds good, is there a website for this ride?

cheers

steve said:
Hi

Sounds good, is there a website for this ride?

cheers

My oversight Steve. I should have included it but was rushing to go to bed. Had to get up at 0515 for training ride. ( we had some rain overnight, first for 3 months)

url is http://www.cancer-ride-nq.net/index.html

the sponsors pages take forever to load :(

Latest count of riders is 205 which is fantastic.

Cheers
Hugh

HughMann said:
My oversight Steve. I should have included it but was rushing to go to bed. Had to get up at 0515 for training ride. ( we had some rain overnight, first for 3 months)

url is http://www.cancer-ride-nq.net/index.html

the sponsors pages take forever to load :(

Latest count of riders is 205 which is fantastic.

Cheers
Hugh
good stuff! You should post an update after the ride i'm sure a few people would be interested in reading about it and seeing some photos :)

cheers