Tr=E8s difficile

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Notaknob, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    My wife and I had planned on going to Leogang in Austria
    over the=20 Memorial Day holiday. On the Wednesday before
    the weather forecast was=20 for temps in the 30-40s with
    rain. We really couldn't stand the idea of=20 blowing a week
    in crappy weather so canceled our trip there and headed=20
    further south.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1432.JPG

    We drove scenic narrow roads where you don't want to go off
    the side of=20 the road.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1437.JPG

    The place we rented near Reillanne had a great view with
    singletrack=20 directly below it.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1694.JPG

    I did a little discovering of the local forest the first
    day. I took=20 the "VTT" route, which was a mistake. I
    should have taken the small=20 unmarked singletrack to the
    left. The VTT route was a fireroad.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6087.JPG

    There was an old ruin in the fields below.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6088.JPG

    The look back at the ridge I'd descended was nice too.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6091.JPG

    Once within sight of town, I felt confident enough to leave
    the marked=20 trail and found more singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6094.JPG

    I took another ride into the Luberon National Park, on one
    of the=20 "Grande Routes" - That must mean more gravel road.
    The scenery was nice=20 though.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6107.JPG

    After much searching, I again left the marked path and
    found... more=20 singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6111.JPG

    On the ride back I dropped into a trail that went through a
    field of=20 flowers, picking up a traveler.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6112.JPG

    Since I'd bit it on a steep gravel road, I self-medicated
    with a couple=20 Pelforths and rested up the next day.

    We took a day trip to Nice and Grasse, traveling through the
    Gorges du=20 Verdon. The scenery was nice.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1571.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1587.JPG

    Some of the fields hadn't been cut yet so there were large
    swaths of=20 red.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1564.JPG

    which made staying on my side of the road hard while
    sightseeing. Not a=20 good thing, as there often isn't much
    road left over.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1632.JPG

    Note to those who haven't been to the Cote de' Azur... There
    are women=20 who go topless there. Some quite nice. Some of
    them could be your=20 mother or grandmother... No, I didn't
    take pictures.

    I did another ride in Greoux les Bains, in an attempt to
    ride more great=20 trails.

    I followed this map from the Tourist Office there..

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6116.JPG

    I later realized I should have gone into the office and
    gotten the map=20 for walking, not biking as the walking
    trails were much nicer to ride=20 on.

    On the way out of Greoux, I rode through the old town.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6117.JPG

    Soon I was out in the country. I think this would have made
    the=20 ultimate mountain bike vehicle.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6119.JPG

    I think the olive trees weren't helping the engine much.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6121.JPG

    The route I took was marked "Tr=E8s Difficile". I think
    that's French for=
    =20
    "Steep Gravel Road".

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6127.JPG

    While the "Difficile" route was just plain road.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6128.JPG

    I misinterpreted the directional indicator on this sign,=20

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6129.JPG

    and went towards Valensole. While trying to get back on
    track, I left=20 the normal trail. I found a long stretch of
    singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6134.JPG

    The trail dead-ended in a wheat field. There was no
    indication that=20 there was a great trail starting in the
    field when I got to the road. =20 Those clever French...

    Climbing back to the road, I noticed I could see Mt.
    Ventoux. This year=20 it's one of the stages on the Tour
    de France.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6136.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6141.JPG

    Also some lavender fields that haven't started blooming yet.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/LavendarFieldProvence2004.jpg

    Once I was back on the marked trail, I continued on
    more fireroad.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6138.JPG

    and stopped for a poser pic.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6139.JPG

    I got mixed up while returning to town and ended up in the
    wrong town. =20 While riding back on the road, I saw an
    indicator for a hiking path. I=20 figured what the hell,
    even though I have to climb some more, at least=20 I'll be
    off the pavement. At the top of the hill the trail narrowed
    to=20 narrowtrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6142.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6144.JPG

    From the spray-paint on one of the power pylon, I saw that
    this had been=20 once been a VTT route.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6145.JPG

    I took another timer poser pic on one of the small ledges.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6147.JPG

    The trail was one of the best I've ridden in France. It
    ended in a=20 small park right next to town that was
    riddled with singletrack. I=20 later found the trail on the
    walking path map.

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    notaknob wrote:
    > My wife and I had planned on going to Leogang in Austria
    > over the Memorial Day holiday. On the Wednesday before
    > the weather forecast was for temps in the 30-40s with
    > rain. We really couldn't stand the idea of blowing a week
    > in crappy weather so canceled our trip there and headed
    > further south.
    >
    > http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    > online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1432.JPG

    <Snip beautiful stuff>

    Wow. Pretty place and it looks like you enjoyed yourself
    which is what vacation/holiday is all about. Too bad it's in
    France or I'd like to visit it someday.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    notaknob wrote:
    > My wife and I had planned on going to Leogang in Austria
    > over the Memorial Day holiday. On the Wednesday before
    > the weather forecast was for temps in the 30-40s with
    > rain. We really couldn't stand the idea of blowing a week
    > in crappy weather so canceled our trip there and headed
    > further south.

    <snip>

    > There was an old ruin in the fields below.
    >
    > http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    > online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6088.JPG

    Cool photo!

    <snip>

    > Some of the fields hadn't been cut yet so there were large
    > swaths of red.
    >
    > http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    > online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1564.JPG

    Another great one. Beautiful!

    <snip>

    > Bruce

    Makes me want to get back there some day, or at least have
    some wine and cheese in the mean time. Sounds like a fun
    trip indeed. Thanks for sharing.

    Matt

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Too bad it's in France or I'd like to visit it someday.

    What, afraid you won't be able to get freedom fries
    over there?

    Matt

  5. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> Too bad it's in France or I'd like to visit it someday.
    >
    > What, afraid you won't be able to get freedom fries
    > over there?
    >
    > Matt

    No. I was never to fond of them before that whole incident.
    Having worked with a few smelly snoots in the past, going to
    the armpit of the country to build a polyester factory, and
    dealing with the liberal "I don't want to work more than
    four hours" unions" there, you learn to hold them in such
    high esteem.

    I never met a frenchmen I didn't like...
    to tell off!

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >>> Too bad it's in France or I'd like to visit it someday.
    >>
    >> What, afraid you won't be able to get freedom fries
    >> over there?
    >>
    >> Matt
    >
    > No. I was never to fond of them before that whole
    > incident. Having worked with a few smelly snoots in the
    > past, going to the armpit of the country to build a
    > polyester factory, and dealing with the liberal "I don't
    > want to work more than four hours" unions" there, you
    > learn to hold them in such high esteem.
    >
    > I never met a frenchmen I didn't like...
    > to tell off!

    Fair enough. At least it's an informed opinion. I take
    back what I muttered about you as I read your response ;).
    I didn't care for Paris (it's inhabitants, mostly) much,
    but outside the city most people were pretty friendly, and
    the wine and cheese (and soufflé, and escargot, and...)
    sure are good.

    Matt

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> MattB wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What, afraid you won't be able to get freedom fries over
    >>> there?
    >>>
    >>> Matt
    >>
    >> No. I was never to fond of them before that whole
    >> incident. Having worked with a few smelly snoots in the
    >> past, going to the armpit of the country to build a
    >> polyester factory, and dealing with the liberal "I don't
    >> want to work more than four hours" unions" there, you
    >> learn to hold them in such high esteem.
    >>
    >> I never met a frenchmen I didn't like...
    >> to tell off!
    >
    > Fair enough. At least it's an informed opinion. I take
    > back what I muttered about you as I read your response ;).
    > I didn't care for Paris (it's inhabitants, mostly) much,
    > but outside the city most people were pretty friendly, and
    > the wine and cheese (and soufflé, and escargot, and...)
    > sure are good.
    >
    > Matt

    Well, food is another thing. I'll never say anything bad
    about the food and I still do some French cooking to this
    day (Chicken Francaise for dinner tonight and yeh I'm the
    one who cooks).

  8. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    >>> No. I was never to fond of them before that whole
    >>> incident. Having worked with a few smelly snoots in the
    >>> past, going to the armpit of the country to build a
    >>> polyester factory, and dealing with the liberal "I don't
    >>> want to work more than four hours" unions" there, you
    >>> learn to hold them in such high esteem.
    >>>
    >>> I never met a frenchmen I didn't like...
    >>> to tell off!
    >>
    >> Fair enough. At least it's an informed opinion. I take
    >> back what I muttered about you as I read your response
    >> ;). I didn't care for Paris (it's inhabitants, mostly)
    >> much, but outside the city most people were pretty
    >> friendly, and the wine and cheese (and soufflé, and
    >> escargot, and...) sure are good.
    >>
    >> Matt
    >
    > Well, food is another thing. I'll never say anything bad
    > about the food and I still do some French cooking to this
    > day (Chicken Francaise for dinner tonight and yeh I'm the
    > one who cooks).

    Traitor! Evil doer!

    Matt (yum!)

  9. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "notaknob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    online.de... My wife and I had planned on going to Leogang
    in Austria over the Memorial Day holiday. On the Wednesday
    before the weather forecast was for temps in the 30-40s
    with rain. We really couldn't stand the idea of blowing a
    week in crappy weather so canceled our trip there and
    headed further south.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1432.JPG

    We drove scenic narrow roads where you don't want to go off
    the side of the road.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1437.JPG

    The place we rented near Reillanne had a great view with
    singletrack directly below it.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1694.JPG

    I did a little discovering of the local forest the first
    day. I took the "VTT" route, which was a mistake. I should
    have taken the small unmarked singletrack to the left. The
    VTT route was a fireroad.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6087.JPG

    There was an old ruin in the fields below.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6088.JPG

    The look back at the ridge I'd descended was nice too.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6091.JPG

    Once within sight of town, I felt confident enough to leave
    the marked trail and found more singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6094.JPG

    I took another ride into the Luberon National Park, on one
    of the "Grande Routes" - That must mean more gravel road.
    The scenery was nice though.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6107.JPG

    After much searching, I again left the marked path and
    found... more singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6111.JPG

    On the ride back I dropped into a trail that went through a
    field of flowers, picking up a traveler.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6112.JPG

    Since I'd bit it on a steep gravel road, I self-medicated
    with a couple Pelforths and rested up the next day.

    We took a day trip to Nice and Grasse, traveling through the
    Gorges du Verdon. The scenery was nice.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1571.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1587.JPG

    Some of the fields hadn't been cut yet so there were large
    swaths of red.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1564.JPG

    which made staying on my side of the road hard while
    sightseeing. Not a good thing, as there often isn't much
    road left over.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_1632.JPG

    Note to those who haven't been to the Cote de' Azur... There
    are women who go topless there. Some quite nice. Some of
    them could be your mother or grandmother... No, I didn't
    take pictures.

    I did another ride in Greoux les Bains, in an attempt to
    ride more great trails.

    I followed this map from the Tourist Office there..

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6116.JPG

    I later realized I should have gone into the office and
    gotten the map for walking, not biking as the walking trails
    were much nicer to ride on.

    On the way out of Greoux, I rode through the old town.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6117.JPG

    Soon I was out in the country. I think this would have made
    the ultimate mountain bike vehicle.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6119.JPG

    I think the olive trees weren't helping the engine much.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6121.JPG

    The route I took was marked "Très Difficile". I think that's
    French for "Steep Gravel Road".

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6127.JPG

    While the "Difficile" route was just plain road.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6128.JPG

    I misinterpreted the directional indicator on this sign,

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6129.JPG

    and went towards Valensole. While trying to get back on
    track, I left the normal trail. I found a long stretch of
    singletrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6134.JPG

    The trail dead-ended in a wheat field. There was no
    indication that there was a great trail starting in the
    field when I got to the road. Those clever French...

    Climbing back to the road, I noticed I could see Mt.
    Ventoux. This year it's one of the stages on the Tour
    de France.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6136.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6141.JPG

    Also some lavender fields that haven't started blooming yet.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/LavendarFieldProvence2004.jpg

    Once I was back on the marked trail, I continued on
    more fireroad.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6138.JPG

    and stopped for a poser pic.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6139.JPG

    I got mixed up while returning to town and ended up in the
    wrong town. While riding back on the road, I saw an
    indicator for a hiking path. I figured what the hell, even
    though I have to climb some more, at least I'll be off the
    pavement. At the top of the hill the trail narrowed to
    narrowtrack.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6142.JPG http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6144.JPG

    From the spray-paint on one of the power pylon, I saw that
    this had been once been a VTT route.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6145.JPG

    I took another timer poser pic on one of the small ledges.

    http://nota_knob.bei.t-
    online.de/france/provence04/IMG_6147.JPG

    The trail was one of the best I've ridden in France. It
    ended in a small park right next to town that was
    riddled with singletrack. I later found the trail on the
    walking path map.

    Bruce

    Nice Trip write up. Italy should be your next trip.

    TJ www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  10. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Nice Trip write up. Italy should be your next trip.

    If/when I go back to Italy, it'll probably be to the
    Garda/South Tyrol area. I've been down to Tuscany a few
    times, and it wasn't a mountain biking paradise.

    Bruce

  11. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "notaknob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Nice Trip write up. Italy should be your next trip.
    > >

    > If/when I go back to Italy, it'll probably be to the
    > Garda/South Tyrol area. I've been down to Tuscany a few
    > times, and it wasn't a mountain biking paradise.
    >
    > Bruce

    IF I am going to Italy. (I lived there for a few years) I am
    going for the food. The good ol U.S of A has better riding
    than the Euros any day. The Euros know how to live though.

    TJ www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > IF I am going to Italy. (I lived there for a few years)
    > I am going for the food. The good ol U.S of A has better
    > riding than the Euros any day. The Euros know how to
    > live though.
    >
    > TJ www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    Now, they just need to learn about personal hygiene.

    --
    Slacker

  13. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > > IF I am going to Italy. (I lived there for a few years)
    > > I am going for
    the
    > > food. The good ol U.S of A has better riding than the
    > > Euros any day.
    The
    > > Euros know how to live though.
    > >
    > > TJ www.gvii.net/hundtoft
    > >

    > Now, they just need to learn about personal hygiene.
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    Heh, heh.....Yeah. But when I ask the women about the smell
    most would say it is a manly smell and would not want it any
    other way.

    Weird!

    TJ