TR:Fairfield

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Sean McMahon, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    I had a walk up to Fairfield along the Hartsop above How ridge and back
    down along St Sunday today. The sun, amazingly, was shining although
    the wind was cold and strong, but still a great day out and very quiet
    on the fells. This one may be of interest to anyone going to the
    Brothers Water meet - certainly a good one to do from there although
    with hindsight I would have started/finished at Deepdale Bridge and
    walked the full HaH ridge. I also did the talked about Birks-Arnison
    'bit', no problem, and did a 'route 1' down Arnison Gill to get to
    Deepdale Bridge.

    Photo's are posted:

    http://www.stridingedge.net

    Tags:

  2. Sean McMahon wrote:
    > ...and did a 'route 1' down Arnison Gill to get to Deepdale Bridge.

    Is that a grade 1 scramble...looks fun by the closeness of the
    contours!

  3. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    Yes, it was very steep - the last photo (of Arnison) shows the route of
    descent and Arnison Gill. I spent the descent thinking of an excuse to
    give the farmer as I could see the easiest way out was through the
    yard! No worries though - the 'farm' turned out to be holiday cottages
    now.

  4. RW

    RW Guest

    My wife and I have just returned from a week in the Lake District where we
    also did Fairfield (on 13/04/2005).

    We took the horseshoe route from Ambleside via Heron Pike / Great Rigg and
    back via Hart Crag / Dove Crag / High Pike.

    We experienced showery rain for the first half of the walk with extensive
    hill fog. Despite hearing horror stories about people getting lost in the
    fog on Fairfield, we found it fairly easy (using a compass) to navigate
    ourselves from the top of Fairfield and down to Hart Crag. The weather then
    cleared up and it remained mostly dry and sunny for the rest of the
    afternoon.

    There was no snow when we did this route, although there would have been if
    we had done it a couple of days beforehand or a couple of days afterwards.

    RW.

    "Sean McMahon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I had a walk up to Fairfield along the Hartsop above How ridge and back
    > down along St Sunday today. The sun, amazingly, was shining although
    > the wind was cold and strong, but still a great day out and very quiet
    > on the fells. This one may be of interest to anyone going to the
    > Brothers Water meet - certainly a good one to do from there although
    > with hindsight I would have started/finished at Deepdale Bridge and
    > walked the full HaH ridge. I also did the talked about Birks-Arnison
    > 'bit', no problem, and did a 'route 1' down Arnison Gill to get to
    > Deepdale Bridge.
    >
    > Photo's are posted:
    >
    > http://www.stridingedge.net

  5. Sean McMahon

    Sean McMahon Guest

    Yes, the weather is a bit changeable at the moment to say the least! I
    still think Fairfield is a 'funny' top, navigational wise, and requires
    a bit of extra care when coming off it.