General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR - Graham - Carn Glas-choire

Started by Lindsay · · Last activity · 1 post · 396 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 October 2007
Last activity
24 October 2007
Original author
Lindsay
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
396
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Carn Glas-choire

    21 October 2007

    The start of this walk was the B9007 Duthil to Forres Road
    approximately one kilometre north of its junction with the A938
    Carrbridge to Grantown on Spey Road. A wooden gate on the west side
    of the road says 'Cawdor Estate - Private Grouse Moor', which
    interested me as I am not aware of a public grouse moor, well not in
    Scotland. There are no parking facilities at this location.

    I went through the gate and followed the vehicle track to Auchterteang
    Cottage. The track continued through what was the old farm buildings
    but I was unable to proceed as it was fenced off and two unfriendly
    dogs were running about barking and one was growling. I'm not a great
    lover of dogs I don't know so I walked round the property pursued by
    these dogs until I came across a fence topped by barbed wire. I had
    no option but cross this fence and rejoin the track. Someone was
    aware of my presence as a vehicle passed me just before I arrived at
    the Cottage and I also saw the front door close without any attempt
    made to control the dogs.

    Once beyond the Cottage I made good progress across the vast track of
    grouse moor, although I saw only a few grouse. After a 'shooter's hut'
    the gradient increased and I followed it to its end which was just
    below the bealach east of Carn Glas-choire, which is slightly further
    than the map showed.

    I climbed to the bealach over some peat hags and here saw some deer
    and mountain hares. The hares were starting to get their winter coat
    as they were starting to turn white. The climb to the summit trig
    point of Carn Glas-choire was rather awkward underfoot as it was very
    mossy. The moss was very wet and like a sponge with poor grip so I was
    sliding about. Eventually I reached the summit with hazy views of
    the Cairngorms, the tops of which were cloud covered and out to the
    Moray Firth.

    The plan was to walk east along the ridge and take in the rocky summit
    of Creag na h-lolaire and rejoin the track beyond the shooter's hut.
    However this plan was abandoned as the area was a mass of peat hags
    and slippery moss so I returned to the B9007 by my route of ascent.
    My only concern was the dogs at Auchterteang Cottage but as I climbed
    the fence and walked round the property there was no sign of the dogs
    so my apprehension was unfounded.

    The enjoyment of the walk was spoilt by the dogs so on my return home
    I e-mailed Cawdor Estate but to date they have not seen fit to reply.
    I don't want to walk through farm outbuildings so I have no objection
    to the area being fenced off. My complaint is the alternative route
    round the buildings involved clambering over a barbed wire fence.
    All it requires is a small gate and some signage and in my opinion the
    Estate would then be conforming with the Land Reform Scotland Act,
    2003.

    Time taken - 3 hours.
    Distance - 13 kilometres.
    Height climbed - 460 metres.

    Photographs taken on walk can be seen at:
    http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/gallery07/carn_glas-choire_oct07/index.htm

    Lindsay
    www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.