TR : Lakedistrict (long)

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:07:21 +0200, "theo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> 85L???
>>>
>>> <fx: swoon....>

>>And I carry my tent on the outside ! But we left all unneccesary things
>>back
>>at the YH :)

> Phew, thank goodness for that, then!
>
> (Off to the Lakes this afternoon with 50L sack, hoping it's big enough
> for what I carry :)

Any particlar area ? According to mwis the best will be the NE of the LD.
High winds, low clouds and drizzle most likely in the S and W.
Take waterproofs and enjoy the LD, PW.

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:bB%[email protected]...
> Did we import this passtime when the dutch built the drains in the fens ?
> If so, what do we call it ?

I seem to remember seeing Dyke Jumping in the Fens on Blue Peter when I was
younger - havent heard since and I think they stopped it.

Rob

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:56:01 +0200, "theo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]
>> (Off to the Lakes this afternoon with 50L sack, hoping it's big enough
>> for what I carry :)

>Any particlar area ? According to mwis the best will be the NE of the LD.
>High winds, low clouds and drizzle most likely in the S and W.
>Take waterproofs and enjoy the LD, PW.

I went to Grasmere, and it has to be said that the weather was
profoundly disappointing: thick, claggy mist until about 4.30 on
Saturday, followed by thicker, claggy, super-heated mist on Sunday.

It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In message <[email protected]>
Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:

> It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
> on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
> was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
> out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
> arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
> but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

Sounds fun. I imagine the last thing on your mind would've been to
take pictures, but Jack's Rake is one of those places I've never been
up, and what condition it's all like seems to vary hugely depending on
who you ask.

--
Simon Challands

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:45:39 +0100, Simon Challands
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>
> Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
>> on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
>> was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
>> out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
>> arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
>> but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

>Sounds fun. I imagine the last thing on your mind would've been to
>take pictures, but Jack's Rake is one of those places I've never been
>up, and what condition it's all like seems to vary hugely depending on
>who you ask.

Sadly, it was very much on my mind (when I wasn't clinging on for grim
death!) but unfortunately I couldn't, as I realised, about an hour
into the weekend, I realised that my camera wouldn't work. I thought
I'd forgotten to replace the card, but a quick check just now confirms
that I'd simply forgotten to charge the batteries :-(

I missed at least 3 wonderful pictures, one of which was the great
view of people ascending J's R in front of me.

I think that people who enjoy scrambling would probably love Jack's
Rake. I'd actually forgotton how vertical it is, and how much low
grade climbing is involved - I think I must have blanked it out - and
it was a bit of a shock. The fact that I was wearing a 50L sack
containing w/e backpacking kit probably didn't help, though it was
manageable almost all the way up.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:45:39 +0100, Simon Challands
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In message <[email protected]>
>> Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
>>> on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
>>> was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
>>> out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
>>> arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
>>> but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

>>Sounds fun. I imagine the last thing on your mind would've been to
>>take pictures, but Jack's Rake is one of those places I've never been
>>up, and what condition it's all like seems to vary hugely depending on
>>who you ask.

> Sadly, it was very much on my mind (when I wasn't clinging on for grim
> death!) but unfortunately I couldn't, as I realised, about an hour
> into the weekend, I realised that my camera wouldn't work. I thought
> I'd forgotten to replace the card, but a quick check just now confirms
> that I'd simply forgotten to charge the batteries :-(
>
> I missed at least 3 wonderful pictures, one of which was the great
> view of people ascending J's R in front of me.
>
> I think that people who enjoy scrambling would probably love Jack's
> Rake. I'd actually forgotton how vertical it is, and how much low
> grade climbing is involved - I think I must have blanked it out - and
> it was a bit of a shock. The fact that I was wearing a 50L sack
> containing w/e backpacking kit probably didn't help, though it was
> manageable almost all the way up.

I think scrambling is like learning to ride a bike. At first you need
someone to hold you, then you ride on your own but you fall now and then
(better not do that when scrambling :), at the third stage you can ride
like a pro and you wonder why you had any problems staying on the bike.
Scrambling is the same : just do it, get confidence and you'll be able to do
things you never imagined.
Really :)

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

"Simon Challands" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>
> Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
>> on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
>> was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
>> out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
>> arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
>> but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

> Sounds fun. I imagine the last thing on your mind would've been to
> take pictures, but Jack's Rake is one of those places I've never been
> up, and what condition it's all like seems to vary hugely depending on
> who you ask.

You can Google for pictures of Jack's Rake and have a look for yourself. A
kind of Virtual Reality.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>
> Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It was still a great w/e, though. I went up Jack's Rake unexpectedly
>> on Saturday, for only the second time ever. There came a time when I
>> was totally stuck, terrified, sure that it would be necessary to call
>> out the MRT and unsure about whether I could hang on until they
>> arrived. It worked out ok in the end, though, and I got to the top,
>> but I think I aged several years in the course of 40 minutes or so!

>Sounds fun. I imagine the last thing on your mind would've been to
>take pictures, but Jack's Rake is one of those places I've never been
>up, and what condition it's all like seems to vary hugely depending on
>who you ask.

When it's dry it's not actually difficult, but has some quite exposed
bits. Things get tricky at the top if you don't know exactly which way
to go. This can make it rather scary.

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

Peewiglet wrote on Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:41:28 +0100....

> I missed at least 3 wonderful pictures, one of which was the great
> view of people ascending J's R in front of me.

A bum shot in more than one sense of the word?

:)

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:07:37 +0200, "theo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think scrambling is like learning to ride a bike. At first you need
>someone to hold you, then you ride on your own but you fall now and then
>(better not do that when scrambling :), at the third stage you can ride
>like a pro and you wonder why you had any problems staying on the bike.
>Scrambling is the same : just do it, get confidence and you'll be able to do
>things you never imagined.
>Really :)

I hope so!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:31:52 +0100, Tim Jackson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I missed at least 3 wonderful pictures, one of which was the great
>> view of people ascending J's R in front of me.

>A bum shot in more than one sense of the word?
>
>:)

Heh heh... ;-) It certainly would have been!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~