TR - Long Crag and Ros Castle (Cheviots) Marilyns

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jhimmy, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    It's only since the summer I've started to consider Marilyns as a challenge.
    So, I've started on simple local hills for the winter. With nothing more
    then the Marilyn tables, Anquet and a google I started todays run.

    I googled "long Crag" but came up with nothing more the Ann Bowkers confused

    http://www.personal.u-net.com/~keswick/maryl33.htm#long

    Another link from a fell runner give me a clue as I looked at the map. I
    drove north along the A697, about a kilometre past New Moor House, there's a
    turn off, marked "Thrunton Wood". It's easy to see as here's a
    telecommunication mast at this junction. 400 metres past the junction,
    Thrunton Wood starts and immediately there's an access gate on the left.
    Opposite the gate, there's room for about 10 cars to park. (NU092072)

    I followed the excellent forestry track for about 2km. A small track at one
    point went uphill, but had a sign on saying "Bee hives, use alternative
    path" (this was the 2nd sign I saw with this on), I had a feeling this track
    made it's way to Coe Crags. However, I followed the main track, which soon
    split into 2. I followed the right hand side, going uphill ;-) This lead
    to the col between Long Crag and Coe Crags.

    Less then 10 minutes later I was standing on the top of Long Crag. It was
    cold and clear with a good view of the Cheviots. 15 Minutes later I was on
    Coe Crags.

    It was a very simple Marilyn, ideal for a mountain biker or a passing
    Munroist going to or from Scotland wishing to bag a Marilyn. Total time was
    approx 2 hours.

    After a short lunch in my car, I decided on a quick drive to my next
    Marilyn, Ros Castle, next to Chillingham Castle. A small hamlet called
    Hepburn, has a parking space 200 metres past it. This give fine views of
    the eastern Cheviots. After I parked, I walked up a steep single tracked
    road. A sign requested walkers to use the proper path to Ros castle, approx
    200m from the top of the track, which I obliged for the simple reason that
    there was no other path to follow.

    This is where I could have kicked myself, there was loads of car parking
    spaces right next to the strt of the path. Although, this wasn't clear on
    the map as it shows a single tracked road. Park (NU079250).

    Fron here, it must have taken about 10 minutes and I reached the top! The
    easiest Marilyn anywhere? The views were sublime. Cheviots, North Sea,
    castles and Holy island.

    Both Ros Castle and Long Crag wouldn't have been climbed, or even known
    about, if I hadn't started on the Marilyns. Good for her!

    Jhimmy.

    Tags:

  2. roger

    roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Jhimmy" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Fron here, it must have taken about 10 minutes and I reached the top! The
    > easiest Marilyn anywhere?

    No chance. There is one in Herefordshire (or thereabouts) that is just
    the other side of a hedge from a public road. I don't know how hard the
    hedge is to negotiate but ....

    --
    Roger Exiled in Essex looking North to the Water Tower, South
    to the Tower on The Naze and East to the Roughs Tower.

  3. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    >>No chance. There is one in Herefordshire (or thereabouts) that is just
    >>the other side of a hedge from a public road. I don't know how hard the
    >>hedge is to negotiate but ....

    Hopefully, I'll be passing there this summer, Roger, thanks for the tip :)

    Jhimmy.

  4. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:37:53 GMT, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I googled "long Crag" but came up with nothing more the Ann Bowkers confused
    >
    >http://www.personal.u-net.com/~keswick/maryl33.htm#long

    >Less then 10 minutes later I was standing on the top of Long Crag. It was
    >cold and clear with a good view of the Cheviots. 15 Minutes later I was on
    >Coe Crags.

    Nooooooooooo! don't do this, t'is heresy I implore thee!!!!

    "Long Crag" dunt exist... I don't care who's list its on, it doesn't
    exist!!! well, imho, o'course ;-)

    What you describe is more universally known as Thrunton Crag, check
    here:

    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/pages/guide/index.htm

    I'm sorry but you'll have to navigate vai Full List of Crags> Thrunton
    Crag to find details because the guy who's done that part of the site
    (via MySQL database.. nice work in itself) has done it in frames
    <spit><spit> and I can't give you a better link than that. Have I
    mentioned I hate frames on a web site??? <spit><spit>

    ....anyway, its not L**gC**g its Thrunton Crag :)

    PS the guide page gives a grid ref so you should be able to see if it
    corresponds.

    PPS Thrunton Crag might not akshally be your Mary-thingy (is it the
    season or summat?) but you can't call a summit a crag because it can't
    be... a crag that is. Discuss.

    SteveO
    --
    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  5. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

  6. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >No chance. There is one in Herefordshire (or thereabouts) that is just
    >the other side of a hedge from a public road. I don't know how hard the
    >hedge is to negotiate but ....

    Very difficult.. The summit of Hegdon Hill is inside a secure
    enclosure belonging to whatever company stole the gas board.

    Mind the hedge is almost as high.....

    Ruardean Hill is a village green. That is as easy as it gets.. ditto
    the roadsider just north of Swansea.

    Richard Webb

  7. Judith

    Judith Guest

    wrote:

    >I followed the excellent forestry track for about 2km. A small track at one
    >point went uphill, but had a sign on saying "Bee hives, use alternative
    >path" (this was the 2nd sign I saw with this on),

    Interesting sign. Did you see any bees? I presume they're all
    hibernating (or, more likely, dead) at this year.

    Judith

  8. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    <SteveO> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:37:53 GMT, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I googled "long Crag" but came up with nothing more the Ann Bowkers

    confused

    > >http://www.personal.u-net.com/~keswick/maryl33.htm#long

    > >Less then 10 minutes later I was standing on the top of Long Crag. It was
    > >cold and clear with a good view of the Cheviots. 15 Minutes later I was

    on
    > >Coe Crags.

    > Nooooooooooo! don't do this, t'is heresy I implore thee!!!!
    >
    > "Long Crag" dunt exist... I don't care who's list its on, it doesn't
    > exist!!! well, imho, o'course ;-)
    >
    > What you describe is more universally known as Thrunton Crag, check
    > here:

    Does the "Buttress of Perculiar Preversions" still exist ?
    Routes that you may try once but never a second time!

  9. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

  10. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    Sighty Crag's coming up in the spring, Richard. Still not sure to try it
    from the Cumbrian side, or bike it through the Kielder end.

    BTW, I've given up hope on different search engines. At the end of the day,
    all I need is a slight bit of info to go on and I'll do the rest!

    Jhimmy

  11. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    No bees, hornets, wasps or any flying insets. Too cold, it would have froze
    their little wings off.

    Jhimmy

  12. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >>>No chance. There is one in Herefordshire (or thereabouts) that is just
    >>>the other side of a hedge from a public road. I don't know how hard the
    >>>hedge is to negotiate but ....

    >Hopefully, I'll be passing there this summer, Roger, thanks for the tip :)
    >
    >Jhimmy.

    Isn't there one on Mynydd Epynt - Roy Hill bagged it after a short walk
    from his car.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  13. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Isn't there one on Mynydd Epynt - Roy Hill bagged it after a short walk
    >from his car.

    Its usually run.

    The army chase you off that road just for parking.

    In and out PDQ

    Richard Webb

  14. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:36:13 GMT, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sighty Crag's coming up in the spring, Richard. Still not sure to try it
    >from the Cumbrian side, or bike it through the Kielder end.

    Bike is useful from the Cumberland (Bewcastle) end too. Did not get
    that far, but Christianbury crags is supposedly worth a visit. Looked
    pretty interesting from afar.

    Richard Webb

  15. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    ! don't do this, t'is heresy I implore thee!!!!

    > "Long Crag" dunt exist... I don't care who's list its on, it doesn't
    > exist!!! well, imho, o'course ;-)
    >
    > What you describe is more universally known as Thrunton Crag, check
    > here:

    There you go, Steve, your mission in life - to change and alter all the
    Marilyn details everwhere for Lonnggggg...(coughs)...er the hill formally
    known as Long Crag.

    Don't forget to tell the OS people, and Anquet and memory map and ......and
    .... and....

    One day you'll be thanked and all that hard work will be worth it ;-)

    Jhimmy.

  16. NewsReader

    NewsReader Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]?.?.invalid writes
    >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:37:53 GMT, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Less then 10 minutes later I was standing on the top of Long Crag. It was
    >>cold and clear with a good view of the Cheviots. 15 Minutes later I was on
    >>Coe Crags.

    >Nooooooooooo! don't do this, t'is heresy I implore thee!!!!
    >
    >"Long Crag" dunt exist... I don't care who's list its on, it doesn't
    >exist!!! well, imho, o'course ;-)
    >
    >What you describe is more universally known as Thrunton Crag, check
    >here:
    >
    >http://www.thenmc.org.uk/pages/guide/index.htm

    Just checked and the grid ref shown (NU074096) is indeed Thrunton Crag.
    However browsing the OS map to the south end of Thrunton Woods shows
    Long Crag at grid Ref NU063069.
    According to the OS both do in fact exist.
    --
    Clelland Ferguson

  17. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    Those who live and work locally near Thrunton Crag will always have the
    advantage to that name, unlike those (like myself) who go by the Marilyn
    list.

    Jhimmy.

  18. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Ruardean Hill is a village green. That is as easy as it gets..

    I made an intrepid ascent of Ruardean Hill by bike yesterday as it happens
    because I wasn't sure I'd ever been to the summit before but apparently I
    must have driven over it several times without realising.

    Any would be baggers contemplating an ascent might like to do so dressed in
    a bear costume shouting something along the lines of "Come and have a go if
    you think you're hard enough" or "Who's the daddy?" in a French accent.
    This might amuse the locals a bit depending on their sense of humour and
    knowledge of Forest history.