General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR: Longsleddale 26 March

Started by John Dawson · · Last activity · 1 post · 107 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 March 2007
Last activity
27 March 2007
Original author
John Dawson
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
107
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Life can be difficult and for the past two weeks I've had too much
    work to do in both my job and private life. I woke early yesterday
    morning, the weather forecast was very promising and I thought it was
    time I had a day to myself on the fells. By the time I'd got ready the
    sun was shining and I headed off through the Kendal rush hour to
    Sadgill in Longsleddale. Mine was the only car in the parking area at
    that time and I set off up the steep fellside at 8:40. Once up on
    Great Howe I knew the steep ascent was over and the much more gradual
    climb to Grey Crag seemed effortless. There was a bit more breeze up
    on the top but I stopped for something to eat without getting cold. A
    shirt and Paramo Cascada were quite enough to keep me warm. There were
    lots of hazy clouds around, visibility was not good enough for decent
    photos but it was wondeful to be out in the sun.

    I continued to Tarn Crag which has a survey pillar about ten feet tall
    left over from the construction of the Haweswater aqueduct, and on to
    Branstree. On the descent to the head of Gatescarth pass I spotted the
    first fellwalkers of the day but they had gone by the time I got down
    there. Harter Fell was the last serious ascent of the walk and as I
    sat by the cairn a walker strode up from Nan Bield. He was the first
    person I'd seen to speak to and he was someone I'd worked with until a
    few weeks ago, a remarkable coincidence. I was busy doing an equipment
    test. I'd long wanted to take soft fruit like peaches or nectarines on
    my walks but never had anything to keep them protected. Banana lovers
    have their Banana Guards - perhaps they should have been called
    Banana Armour :-), but I've only recently come across the Fruity Face:
    lakeland.co.uk!11078
    which allows you to store your soft fruit inside an inflatable ball -
    jut put the fruit inside and blow it up (no! not with Semtex). I'd
    taken a ripe plum, the only fruit I had to hand, and it had been kept
    in perfect condition. I'll try a nectarine next time.

    I continued over Kentmere Pike and down to Shipman Knotts with my
    erstwhile colleague, left him there to have his sandwiches and got
    down to Sadgill at 14:20 where only four other cars had joined mine.
    My only regret of the day was that I'd forgotten the sun block!

    John D.
    --
    John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
    Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/
    Kilimanjaro trip at http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/kilimanjaro/
    Egypt trip at http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/egypt/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.