TR: North Yorks Moors today - Damn cold!!

Dave McLaughlin

Guest
Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
-3C later in the afternoon. I just happened to have my anemometer in
the rucksack - turned out that the wind was blowing about 35mph, and the
windchill was down to -18C, and that was just at the start!! Went over
Cringle moor without any difficulty, but as I was going up the aptly
named Cold Moor, the wind increased to around 45mph and started blowing
me off the path.
I didn't measure the windchill at this point as it was just too cold to
even think of taking my gloves off . I ducked off the path just short
of the top and took shelter in an old building. The walk between the
path and the building took me face first into the wind, and it felt like
my lips, nose, and cheeks were being scraped off with a cheese grater!
Once out the wind I had a quick bite of lunch. My water bottle had
started to freeze, and the few drops of hot oxo that got spilt onto the
rucksack froze solid very quickly so decided to call it a day. I did
the last few feet to the top and then turned back. I took another
windchill reading at foot of Cold Moor and it was now down to -20C!!
Strange to think that this atrocious weather was only 10 miles as the
crow flies from Middlesbrough town centre!!

--
Dave McLaughlin

**** Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

"Dave McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
> Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
> gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
> -3C later in the afternoon.

I hope you enjoyed a scone in the cafe, it sounds like you earned it! That
ridge walk seems to catch the weather. I was there at the beginning of
February in bitter cold and there was an unusually thick frost, it looked
quite strange. As you looked down from the ridge walk near Cold Moor to the
track under the escarpment the trees behind, mainly pine and larch, looked
quite stunning with a covering of ice. I took some pics and I've uploaded a
couple if you're interested. I've put them on the same page as the
inscription, again just click on them to enlarge.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.f/latin.htm
I haven't fiddled with them at all, other than 'sharpen' in PS. I love that
stretch from Lords Stone to Clay Bank...
Huw

"forlorn hope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_JdRf.9480$

My server doesn't seem to like me altering the page and is declining to load
at the moment. I have to go out and don't have time to fiddle with it.
Apologies.
Huw

forlorn hope wrote:
> "Dave McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
>> Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
>> gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
>> -3C later in the afternoon.

> I hope you enjoyed a scone in the cafe, it sounds like you earned it! That
> ridge walk seems to catch the weather. I was there at the beginning of
> February in bitter cold and there was an unusually thick frost, it looked
> quite strange. As you looked down from the ridge walk near Cold Moor to the
> track under the escarpment the trees behind, mainly pine and larch, looked
> quite stunning with a covering of ice. I took some pics and I've uploaded a
> couple if you're interested. I've put them on the same page as the
> inscription, again just click on them to enlarge.
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.f/latin.htm
> I haven't fiddled with them at all, other than 'sharpen' in PS. I love that
> stretch from Lords Stone to Clay Bank...
> Huw

I've just got around to putting a few pics of the walk up at:-

http://dave-mclaughlin.fotopic.net/c893775.html

There's another picture of that latin inscription on Cringle - though
this time it's partially hidden by snow. Incidentally, that 8ft drop
from the footpath down to the inscription was quite literally a
'life-saver'. I was absolutely desperate for a P*** at the time, and
there was absolutely no way I was opening my trousers in a -18
windchill! Once out of the wind it was all relatively pleasant and it
was such a great relief to turn the snow yellow without suffering the
indignity of a frost bitten appendage :)