TR: North Yorks Moors today - Damn cold!!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave McLaughlin, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
    Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
    gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
    -3C later in the afternoon. I just happened to have my anemometer in
    the rucksack - turned out that the wind was blowing about 35mph, and the
    windchill was down to -18C, and that was just at the start!! Went over
    Cringle moor without any difficulty, but as I was going up the aptly
    named Cold Moor, the wind increased to around 45mph and started blowing
    me off the path.
    I didn't measure the windchill at this point as it was just too cold to
    even think of taking my gloves off . I ducked off the path just short
    of the top and took shelter in an old building. The walk between the
    path and the building took me face first into the wind, and it felt like
    my lips, nose, and cheeks were being scraped off with a cheese grater!
    Once out the wind I had a quick bite of lunch. My water bottle had
    started to freeze, and the few drops of hot oxo that got spilt onto the
    rucksack froze solid very quickly so decided to call it a day. I did
    the last few feet to the top and then turned back. I took another
    windchill reading at foot of Cold Moor and it was now down to -20C!!
    Strange to think that this atrocious weather was only 10 miles as the
    crow flies from Middlesbrough town centre!!

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

    Tags:

  2. forlorn hope

    forlorn hope Guest

    "Dave McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
    > Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
    > gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
    > -3C later in the afternoon.

    I hope you enjoyed a scone in the cafe, it sounds like you earned it! That
    ridge walk seems to catch the weather. I was there at the beginning of
    February in bitter cold and there was an unusually thick frost, it looked
    quite strange. As you looked down from the ridge walk near Cold Moor to the
    track under the escarpment the trees behind, mainly pine and larch, looked
    quite stunning with a covering of ice. I took some pics and I've uploaded a
    couple if you're interested. I've put them on the same page as the
    inscription, again just click on them to enlarge.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.f/latin.htm
    I haven't fiddled with them at all, other than 'sharpen' in PS. I love that
    stretch from Lords Stone to Clay Bank...
    Huw

  3. forlorn hope

    forlorn hope Guest

    "forlorn hope" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_JdRf.9480$

    My server doesn't seem to like me altering the page and is declining to load
    at the moment. I have to go out and don't have time to fiddle with it.
    Apologies.
    Huw

  4. forlorn hope wrote:
    > "Dave McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Took a short stroll today along the Cleveland way from Lord Stones cafe.
    >> Lots of powder snow falling and spindrift blowing everywhere, howling
    >> gale and temperature falling from around freezing at the start to about
    >> -3C later in the afternoon.

    > I hope you enjoyed a scone in the cafe, it sounds like you earned it! That
    > ridge walk seems to catch the weather. I was there at the beginning of
    > February in bitter cold and there was an unusually thick frost, it looked
    > quite strange. As you looked down from the ridge walk near Cold Moor to the
    > track under the escarpment the trees behind, mainly pine and larch, looked
    > quite stunning with a covering of ice. I took some pics and I've uploaded a
    > couple if you're interested. I've put them on the same page as the
    > inscription, again just click on them to enlarge.
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.f/latin.htm
    > I haven't fiddled with them at all, other than 'sharpen' in PS. I love that
    > stretch from Lords Stone to Clay Bank...
    > Huw

    I've just got around to putting a few pics of the walk up at:-

    http://dave-mclaughlin.fotopic.net/c893775.html

    There's another picture of that latin inscription on Cringle - though
    this time it's partially hidden by snow. Incidentally, that 8ft drop
    from the footpath down to the inscription was quite literally a
    'life-saver'. I was absolutely desperate for a P*** at the time, and
    there was absolutely no way I was opening my trousers in a -18
    windchill! Once out of the wind it was all relatively pleasant and it
    was such a great relief to turn the snow yellow without suffering the
    indignity of a frost bitten appendage :)

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Dave McLaughlin wrote:

    > I've just got around to putting a few pics of the walk up at:-

    > http://dave-mclaughlin.fotopic.net/c893775.html

    Interesting pictures. It's years since I've walked there.
    I wonder if anyone has attempted the Lyke Wake Walk
    recently.