TR: PH: Caswell Bay Sunset

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Saunders, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. First sunset of the new year, taken at Caswell Bay, to commemorate my
    20th anniversary of landscape photography;
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cbs/20050101cbs1.jpg

    Twas on New Year's Day back in 1985 that I took my first serious
    landscape shots at Caswell Bay (and pretty crappy they were too!) so it
    seemed appropriate to visit the same location. Here's probably the best
    shot of that sunset (crappy old scan);
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cbs/19850101cbs1.jpg

    Weather forecast was pretty awful for today though - rain and gales.
    Didn't seem much chance of a sunset at all, but I jumped in the car and
    drove there anyway. The rain had barely stopped and it was mostly
    overcast, but a clear slot was opening up in the west and the sky
    started to turn orange a few minutes before I arrived.

    It looked like it might have developed into a spectacular sunset but
    after just 15 minutes it died yet another grey death. Still, I had 10
    good minutes! Very lucky to have those in the circumstances!
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cbs/20050101cbs2.jpg

    Not much of a walk, but a nice photographic start to the year.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Y Cymro

    Y Cymro Guest

    Wow - lovely shot. What did you take that with?

    news:[email protected]

  3. Y Cymro wrote:

    > Wow - lovely shot.

    Thanks, glad you like it.

    > What did you take that with?

    A camera! :)

    Actually if you must know, it was a Canon 300D with a 24-85mm lens.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  4. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Weather forecast was pretty awful for today though - rain and gales.
    >Didn't seem much chance of a sunset at all, but I jumped in the car and
    >drove there anyway. The rain had barely stopped and it was mostly
    >overcast, but a clear slot was opening up in the west and the sky
    >started to turn orange a few minutes before I arrived.

    Before I look at the pics, let me say you should have waited for this
    morning's sunrise - beautiful.

    Just had a look, very nice Paul, the middle one is very atmospheric -
    nice.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  5. W. D. Grey wrote:

    > Before I look at the pics, let me say you should have waited for this
    > morning's sunrise - beautiful.

    This morning's sunrise? You gotta be kidding! No chance of me waking
    up before midday after the amount I drank two nights ago! I'm still
    recovering!

    But it didn't stop me going out again late this afternoon and taking 136
    shots between Limeslade and Langland, including a bunch of
    multiple-exposure ultra-wide long shutter speed tripod shots of blurred
    waves and a sunset sky for subsequent layer masking.

    The incoming sea reached up to my knees during one 30 second exposure!
    The things I do for art...

    > Just had a look, very nice Paul, the middle one is very atmospheric -
    > nice.

    That one was twenty years ago!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  6. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email protected]> writes
    >W. D. Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Before I look at the pics, let me say you should have waited for this
    >> morning's sunrise - beautiful.

    >This morning's sunrise? You gotta be kidding! No chance of me waking
    >up before midday after the amount I drank two nights ago! I'm still
    >recovering!

    08.30 Ystradgynlais - fantastic - the sunrise not Ystradgynlais :)

    >But it didn't stop me going out again late this afternoon and taking 136
    >shots between Limeslade and Langland, including a bunch of
    >multiple-exposure ultra-wide long shutter speed tripod shots of blurred
    >waves and a sunset sky for subsequent layer masking.
    >
    >The incoming sea reached up to my knees during one 30 second exposure!
    >The things I do for art...

    You deserves a medal

    >> Just had a look, very nice Paul, the middle one is very atmospheric -
    >> nice.

    >That one was twenty years ago!

    The sunsets have learned to behave themselves since.:)

    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  7. W. D. Grey wrote:

    >> The incoming sea reached up to my knees during one 30 second
    >> exposure! The things I do for art...

    > You deserves a medal

    Thanks Bill. I've given a link to it in a new thread.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  8. Col

    Col Guest

    Truly beautiful picture Paul. I loved it!!
    col xx