TR: Sail Mhor (Corbett)

Rob Milne

Guest
One of those days when you wonder how long of a drive is
worth how short if a walk?

Drove from home near Linlithgow to the car park past
Dundonnell in 3 hours 20 minutes (only!). Lots of showers
about, but the worst one stopped a few minutes after I
arrived. Went up the south bank of the stream along the
boggy path. The waterfalls and gorges are superb and worth
a visit some day after doing An Teallach (like for a swim).
Impressive! The stream was high, so it wasn't easy to
cross. Found a good place to cross at NH0567 8777 where the
bank is eroded and there is an island. This is a bit past
the old sheilings. Then straight up the ridge. On the top 1
hour 30 min after starting (guidebook time 2 hours 20 min).
Unfortunately, the could was down and it snowed a bit while
on top. (but only a few patches on the way up). Wandered
down the north bank of the stream, very rough and not a
good way to go up. In fact, I sort of wandered at random to
explore some more. After 2 hours 20 minutes (guidebook
summit time) a shower passed and the sun came out -
including on the summit!! By now I was way down low. The
weather cleared and there looked to be a great summit view.
At the car in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the
summit was basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or
walked closer to guidebook time, I would have had a great
view .... If ....

The conclusion, a long way away, but a reasonable quick day
trip anyway.

Rob

I remember it well. We climbed it a few years ago, having
driven from Little Loch Broom (cottage) to the Fannaichs and
turned around, as the Fannaichs were nowhere to be seen! In
the end we had a clear ascent of Sail Mhor, and met a large
herd of goats on the summit.

The fannaichs never did clear that day....

Jim

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:36 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
[email protected] (Rob Milne) wrote:

>One of those days when you wonder how long of a drive is
>worth how short if a walk?
>
>Drove from home near Linlithgow to the car park past
>Dundonnell in 3 hours 20 minutes (only!). Lots of showers
>about, but the worst one stopped a few minutes after I
>arrived. Went up the south bank of the stream along the
>boggy path. The waterfalls and gorges are superb and worth
>a visit some day after doing An Teallach (like for a swim).
>Impressive! The stream was high, so it wasn't easy to
>cross. Found a good place to cross at NH0567 8777 where the
>bank is eroded and there is an island. This is a bit past
>the old sheilings. Then straight up the ridge. On the top 1
>hour 30 min after starting (guidebook time 2 hours 20 min).
>Unfortunately, the could was down and it snowed a bit while
>on top. (but only a few patches on the way up). Wandered
>down the north bank of the stream, very rough and not a
>good way to go up. In fact, I sort of wandered at random to
>explore some more. After 2 hours 20 minutes (guidebook
>summit time) a shower passed and the sun came out -
>including on the summit!! By now I was way down low. The
>weather cleared and there looked to be a great summit view.
>At the car in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the
>summit was basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or
>walked closer to guidebook time, I would have had a great
>view .... If ....
>
>The conclusion, a long way away, but a reasonable quick day
>trip anyway.
>
>Rob

Jim Willsher

Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

>in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the summit was
>basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or walked closer to
>guidebook time, I would have had a great view .... If ....

You really did miss out! Sail Mhor is in the Rois Bheinn
class of viewpoint.

Never mind, console yoursef with a trip up Beinn Gobhlaich -
on a clear day!

Richard Webb