TR: Sail Mhor (Corbett)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rob Milne, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    One of those days when you wonder how long of a drive is
    worth how short if a walk?

    Drove from home near Linlithgow to the car park past
    Dundonnell in 3 hours 20 minutes (only!). Lots of showers
    about, but the worst one stopped a few minutes after I
    arrived. Went up the south bank of the stream along the
    boggy path. The waterfalls and gorges are superb and worth
    a visit some day after doing An Teallach (like for a swim).
    Impressive! The stream was high, so it wasn't easy to
    cross. Found a good place to cross at NH0567 8777 where the
    bank is eroded and there is an island. This is a bit past
    the old sheilings. Then straight up the ridge. On the top 1
    hour 30 min after starting (guidebook time 2 hours 20 min).
    Unfortunately, the could was down and it snowed a bit while
    on top. (but only a few patches on the way up). Wandered
    down the north bank of the stream, very rough and not a
    good way to go up. In fact, I sort of wandered at random to
    explore some more. After 2 hours 20 minutes (guidebook
    summit time) a shower passed and the sun came out -
    including on the summit!! By now I was way down low. The
    weather cleared and there looked to be a great summit view.
    At the car in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the
    summit was basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or
    walked closer to guidebook time, I would have had a great
    view .... If ....

    The conclusion, a long way away, but a reasonable quick day
    trip anyway.

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Jim Willsher

    Jim Willsher Guest

    I remember it well. We climbed it a few years ago, having
    driven from Little Loch Broom (cottage) to the Fannaichs and
    turned around, as the Fannaichs were nowhere to be seen! In
    the end we had a clear ascent of Sail Mhor, and met a large
    herd of goats on the summit.

    The fannaichs never did clear that day....

    Jim

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:36 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    [email protected] (Rob Milne) wrote:

    >One of those days when you wonder how long of a drive is
    >worth how short if a walk?
    >
    >Drove from home near Linlithgow to the car park past
    >Dundonnell in 3 hours 20 minutes (only!). Lots of showers
    >about, but the worst one stopped a few minutes after I
    >arrived. Went up the south bank of the stream along the
    >boggy path. The waterfalls and gorges are superb and worth
    >a visit some day after doing An Teallach (like for a swim).
    >Impressive! The stream was high, so it wasn't easy to
    >cross. Found a good place to cross at NH0567 8777 where the
    >bank is eroded and there is an island. This is a bit past
    >the old sheilings. Then straight up the ridge. On the top 1
    >hour 30 min after starting (guidebook time 2 hours 20 min).
    >Unfortunately, the could was down and it snowed a bit while
    >on top. (but only a few patches on the way up). Wandered
    >down the north bank of the stream, very rough and not a
    >good way to go up. In fact, I sort of wandered at random to
    >explore some more. After 2 hours 20 minutes (guidebook
    >summit time) a shower passed and the sun came out -
    >including on the summit!! By now I was way down low. The
    >weather cleared and there looked to be a great summit view.
    >At the car in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the
    >summit was basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or
    >walked closer to guidebook time, I would have had a great
    >view .... If ....
    >
    >The conclusion, a long way away, but a reasonable quick day
    >trip anyway.
    >
    >Rob

    Jim Willsher

    Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

  3. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >in 2 hours 40 minutes round trip. By now the summit was
    >basking in sun. If I had driven slower, or walked closer to
    >guidebook time, I would have had a great view .... If ....

    You really did miss out! Sail Mhor is in the Rois Bheinn
    class of viewpoint.

    Never mind, console yoursef with a trip up Beinn Gobhlaich -
    on a clear day!

    Richard Webb