TR: Snowdon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by David, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    It's been ages since I've found the energy to get over to Wales. With the
    forcast looking reasonable, I thought I'd go for it on Sunday. So after a 5
    hour drive I roll up at the Pen-y-pass car park at 8.15am...........to find
    it full. After a quick chat with the attended, I decided to try the Watkins
    path instead and find the south-side car park empty with the exception of
    single car and minibus.

    [There's obviously something about Easter that brings out the 'Duke of
    Edinbugh' groups. It's so unusual (but good) to see small groups of
    younsters on the hill - they stick out a mile. They're usually kitted with
    completely inappropriately large rucksacks - certainly brings back painful
    memories for me.]

    Anyway, there's plenty of cloud on the hill as I start and I have to don
    waterproofs for a sweaty ascent through the slate workings and up onto the
    ridge. Due to the path renovations, it's a bit like a staircase - a very
    easy ascent. The wind hits hard as I get up onto the ridge. Great initial
    views on the other side though. Once here, I trudge up into the cloud and
    after about a couple of hours I approach the train station. I was surprised
    not to find the cafe open - I can't think of a more popular day to have it
    open. If it really HAS to there, why can't it be damn open?!. I must have
    been up Snowdon 10 times and have yet to see it open. As I start my
    sandwiches, the cloud is blown away and I and the other 30 or so summiters
    are treated to a great view. After taking a few snaps and a rest, I retrace
    my steps back the SE ridge towards Yr Arran and turn left at the col back
    down to the mine workings.

    A nice day with good views (and sore feet). Just another 5 hour drive home
    to negotiate.

    Here are some pictures. Click 'View all Images' and then select 'Slideshow'.

    http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/album/sharerec.html?id=9AB04222F8D91EA8AD11C2EC4A3A939D&locale=en_GB

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

  3. Nice pics, we're off to sonwdon next weekend, hopefully we'll get as
    good views as you (knowing our luck with welsh mountains it'll be
    raining with near zero viz)

    James
    www.wheresthepath.com

  4. David

    David Guest

  5. Rudi Winter

    Rudi Winter Guest

    David <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Watkins
    > path
    >
    > ridge. Due to the path renovations, it's a bit like a staircase - a very

    Path renovations? I haven't been there for a while but apart from one
    short stretch (the steepest bit) I can't remember the path being
    particularly eroded. Is this "preventative maintenance"?

    > http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/album/sharerec.html?id=9AB04222F8D91EA8AD11C2EC4A3A939D&locale=en_GB

    The depth of no. 5 is amazing, but I like them all!
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales