TR: trails at the beach

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andrew Thorne, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Just got back yesterday after a week at Grayton Beach, on the Florida Panhandle. Great little town -
    beautiful beach, stoned guy selling fish tacos out of a pushcart, shabby old beach cottages from the
    30's, and plenty of friendly dogs.

    What I hadn't counted on was finding more miles of singletrack than I was able to explore. Pt
    Washington SF has a great little trail system with tight twisty sandy singletrack that weaves
    through long leaf pine, a few oaks of some sort or another, and miles of low beachy stuff. Trails
    were quick and swoopy - it would've been great singlespeed territory. And best of all, empty.
    Absolutely, completely, entirely empty. I could've ridden naked all week.

    Moral of the story: Don't ever go on vacation without a bike. You never know when you'll find
    some riding.

    -Andrew "Ok, so I now I need to repack both hubs, rebuild the BB and headset, and possibly
    replace the chain, but shit, it was fun sliding the bike sideways through the
    pine-needles-on-sand corners" Thorne

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > -Andrew "Ok, so I now I need to repack both hubs, rebuild the BB and
    > headset, and possibly replace the chain, but shit, it was fun sliding the
    bike
    > sideways through the pine-needles-on-sand corners" Thorne

    This is the trouble with beach riding. It's great fun till you get home.

    Andy Chequer, sea water in the fame not good either

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > -Andrew "Ok, so I now I need to repack both hubs, rebuild the BB and headset, and possibly
    > > replace the chain, but shit, it was fun sliding
    the
    > bike
    > > sideways through the pine-needles-on-sand corners" Thorne
    >
    > This is the trouble with beach riding. It's great fun till you get home.
    >
    > Andy Chequer, sea water in the fame not good either

    Er, frame, even.

    Ady Chqr

  4. >> -Andrew "Ok, so I now I need to repack both hubs, rebuild the BB and
    >> headset, and possibly replace the chain, but shit, it was fun sliding the
    >bike
    >> sideways through the pine-needles-on-sand corners" Thorne
    >
    >This is the trouble with beach riding. It's great fun till you get home.
    >
    >Andy Chequer, sea water in the fame not good either

    Well, I managed to stay out of the water as the trails were at least a mile or so inland. Which
    was pretty good thinking since the bike I brought was a ten year old Ritchey with less than
    pristine paint.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew