Track and Field newsgroups

Matty G

Guest
Is there any newsgroups that discuss track and field? This seems to be the only newsgroup on
running/athletics that seems to actually have people subscribed to it!

>Is there any newsgroups that discuss track and field? This seems to be the only newsgroup on
>running/athletics that seems to actually have people subscribed to it!

There is an "alt.sport.track-field," but there are very rarely any posts of consequence there. Given
the way this NG looks lately (what's with all the obsessively weird and repetitive off-topic character-
assassination posts?) I wonder a little at the future of rec.running.

You are dead right there! There is some very strange goings on here of late. Have to trawl through
all the rubbish to find something worth reading.

"TopCounsel wrote in message Given the way this NG looks lately (what's with all the
>obsessively weird and repetitive off-topic character-assassination posts?)
>wonder a little at the future of rec.running."

>Is there any newsgroups that discuss track and field? This seems to be the only newsgroup on
>running/athletics that seems to actually have people subscribed to it!

If you're serious (meaning you'd rather talk about David Krummenacker or a 3:50 mile than a 3:50
marathon) see the message board at trackandfieldnews.com.

It's moderated and Bill or Rodger wouldn't likely escape the wrath of Gary Hill for more
than 24 hours.

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

>It's moderated and Bill or Rodger wouldn't likely escape the wrath of Gary Hill for more than
>24 hours.

At least one of "Roger Hunter's" multiple personalities seems to be a legitimate runner or
decathlete/pentathlete. Granted, he has all the tact of a 2x4 over the head, however.

>>It's moderated and Bill or Rodger wouldn't likely escape the wrath of Gary Hill for more than
>>24 hours.
>
>At least one of "Roger Hunter's" multiple personalities seems to be a legitimate runner or
>decathlete/pentathlete. Granted, he has all the tact of a 2x4 over the head, however.

Agreed. I actually enjoy debating with the serious persona of Roger. But Gary Hill won't put up with
any troll ****. Same thing applies to dyestat and Charlie Francis.

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Matty G" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there any newsgroups that discuss track and field? This seems to be the only newsgroup on
> running/athletics that seems to actually have people subscribed to it!

During the Olympics, rec.sport.olympics will likely be very active.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

On 28 Jan 2004 01:44:59 GMT, [email protected] (Lyndon) wrote:

> But Gary Hill won't put up with any troll ****. Same thing applies to dyestat and Charlie Francis.

I could tell you anecdotal tales about one of those fellows that would make your hair curl. Suffice
to say if I found myself within 100m of that individual I'd book myself into a rather expensive
clinic for a complete. full-body, detox. *1

*1 The comment above is, of couse, a joke. No-one should take it seriously. It was not meant
seriously. It was a joke. It couldn't be true. It isn't true. None of the strange tales about that
individual are true. They are all lies. I would completely disassociate myself from anyone who
suggested otherwise. 'Cause they would be lying. Got that? They're lies, each and every one of those
tales. LIES I tell you!

"TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> There is an "alt.sport.track-field," but there are very rarely any posts
of
> consequence there. Given the way this NG looks lately (what's with all
the
> obsessively weird and repetitive off-topic character-assassination posts?)
> wonder a little at the future of rec.running.

I've been here for 3 ½ years, and the trolling became a lot worse in late 2001, if I remember right.
A few people have left, but many of the core members are still here.

About the "obsessively weird off-topic character-assassination posts"; I know the posts you refer to
and killfiled that person (along with the person replied to over and over again) a few days ago. If
you keep on top of the new troll addresses, the signal-noise ratio is manageable.

Still, I'm fairly sure the "regulars" aren't the target of the trolls anyway - it's the newcomers
that don't know what's going on at first, since they are very easy.

Someone tried doing a weekly "troll report" a little while back that kind of fizzled out. I think
one of the problems is that the post had all these names/address to "killfile", which simply made
the trolls make new addresses. Instead, a route could be taken where a simple warning about troll
activity in general could be applied.

The key is not to confront them, answer them, acknowledge them, anger them, challenge them, etc...
it's simply to 100% ignore them without malice, thought, or care. This is what the newbie (and a few
regulars) need to understand.

Perhaps I could add a small note at the bottom of my weekly training thread, since it's a
"legitimate" weekly thread anyway that new people likely look at.

thoughts?
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:19:39 -0500, "SwStudio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>thoughts?

About what? Trolls? Oh, OK then...

Troll are lovely, fluffy, mischievous creatures. They scamper around rec.running, poking their
unwanted noses into all manner of posts, making inappropriate suggestions, and generally being a
damned nuisance. However...

Trolls - whilst devious and not to be trusted - usually place a grain of truth amongst the dross of
their replies. This serves two aims. Firstly, it pleases the troll to think that they are providing
a gem of useful data for those prepared to search - a reward, if you like. Secondly, they believe
that it encourages those of a similar nature to take up the profession - realising that you can be
rude, have fun, yet still offer advice that has merit and value.

The sort of fellow most offended by the troll appears to be a stable - nay almost staid - chap who
has a lifetime of 'useful service' behind him. These individuals cannot conceive of information
being presented in anything other than a simplistic and straightforward manner. The abhor the
cryptic delivery of the troll, and explode with rage at the slightest suggestion that they are
not, indeed, the most valued member of the newsgroup. This usually sends the troll into a fit of
the giggles.

Sadly, not all trolls are equal. Some trolls are simply nasty. Just like you, we endeavour to banish
these individuals to some far-off outpost of Usenet but regrettably, like the home birds they are,
they never seem able to leave the nest. We look upon these souls as an occupation hazard of life. So
should you. They're here, they won't go away, and they're hard to ignore. Every now and then - when
they get too much - it's good to have a troll-bashing day or two. Everyone says daft things,
generally makes a fool of themselves, and nothing much changes. But it does clear the air.

So, like the doggie-poo you step in as you trot across the grass in the park without looking, a
troll is a metaphor for life. Avoiding them is impossible, dealing with them difficult, they have
little of value to teach, yet what that have may one day save your miserable skin. If I were you,
I'd be a mite less dismissive and a touch more thankful that rec.running is visited by these furry,
friendly creatures. A newsgroup without pet trolls is truly a cold and unhappy place.

In article <[email protected]>, henry b morgenstern wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:19:39 -0500, "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>thoughts?
>
> About what? Trolls? Oh, OK then...
>
> Troll are lovely, fluffy, mischievous creatures. They scamper around rec.running, poking their
> unwanted noses into all manner of posts, making inappropriate suggestions, and generally being a
> damned nuisance. However...

... to call TBR a "troll" is an insult to trolls.

A troll is supposed to be at least somewhat witty and post carefully thought out posts. Someone who
indiscriminately posts floods of mindless profanity is not a troll, just a nuisance.

Cheers,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:52:45 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>... to call TBR a "troll" is an insult to trolls.

Donny, you're the author of your own misfortune with regard to TBR. Remember I talked about posters
who take themselves and their advice a *little* too seriously...? Well you, my dear child, fall
squarely into that category.

"Lyndon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> But I'm sure that Doug, Mike T and some others can recall a fellow who
came
> here before your time named MacElroy. ...<snip>
>
> So by the full historical record, TBR and the others are still fairly innoucuous, and if you talk
> about serious running, they won't bother you.

Agreed - and Lyndon, I remember macelroy (with a small 'm') - he was around when I started posting.

Back to running. I got myself a new coach the other day, and he is from a triathlon background. I
respect him greatly, and I hope he helps me achieve my goals. His methods are very different that my
last coach, Gord Dickson, whe came in 3rd at Boston in '59 and ran for Canada in the '60 Olympics.
This guy is 24, and was recently named one of North America's top 10 triathletes.

Today was our first session. It looks like I'll be spending some time in the gym and at the pool. My
goal is a 2:50 marathon in May and 16:45 or so in 5k by the fall. He feels I can achieve this.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

In article <[email protected]>, henry b morgenstern wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:52:45 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>... to call TBR a "troll" is an insult to trolls.
>
> Donny, you're the author of your own misfortune with regard to TBR.

I think TBR poses much more of a problem to newcomers than he does to me or the other regulars. I
could screen him out if I wanted to, but new posters don't always have that option.

Cheers,

I got a certificate from them for doing 25 miles a week for a year one year. Running fit .com or a
tami said she gave it to me. them she also told me to put **** in paint if I put it on this group. F
ing Crock lance. heard of 14 year old who saved old man in crock fest water. At least someone there
do the water thing. if any one is interested. The Great lakes state. Michigan. weather pre dicks a
record rain fall this year. and all so a snow on the way again. I think here we got 39 inch to date
and last years total was 27 inch. some times it snows till april. anyways between so mush rain and
snow. The great lakes should be. How to say. Interesting. I hope to be there running in the water.
last week a sturgeon was caught 108 pounds and 71 and 1/2 inch. in a river off of huron. ice
fishing. Hay LAnce. want to be swallowed by a fresh water fish. they like bright colors. and to say
when I run in there. My colors and a marble under left ball of foot. Hay when you go in the water do
your nuts swrink. like into one little marble? sorry would make some. well the canada white bathing
suits babes call me a ****er. I like to think more the great white hope. Bever island bound? she can
get quite &*^$ or A.T. trails.? or a job? I run from gays...... you do the math.

Track and field? What, the newsgroup about watching paint dry wasn't to your liking?

[email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were
still burning.
"we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every terrorist
group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a coked-up
dopehead running the country".

From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3

YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
"TheBillRodgers" and his clones.

Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY