track axle nut question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Bruno, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. David Bruno

    David Bruno Guest

    Hi, I've got a rear track spinergy. The nuts that face the inside of the frame are different from
    ones I'm used to seeing in that there is no grooved side which digs into the frame for that extra
    security. Instead, one side of the nut is flat and the other side has a thin elevated ring near the
    outer edge. The question is...which side should face the frame and is this less secure than nuts
    with a grooved side?

    Thanks, David

    Tags:

  2. David Bruno wrote:

    > I've got a rear track spinergy. The nuts that face the inside of the frame are different from
    > ones I'm used to seeing in that there is no grooved side which digs into the frame for that
    > extra security. Instead, one side of the nut is flat and the other side has a thin elevated ring
    > near the outer edge. The question is...which side should face the frame and is this less secure
    > than nuts with a grooved side?

    The side with the ridge faces out against the fork end. The ridge is intended to serve the same
    function as the serrations.

    This system generally works fine, as long as the nuts or QR skewer are properly tightened. If your
    hub uses nuts, it is important that their be some sort of washer betwixt the nut and the outside of
    the fork end. The good "track nuts" have a captive washer permanently peened onto the nut.

    Sheldon "42/15" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    | I still feel that variable gears are only for people over | forty-five. Isn't it better to
    | triumph by the strength | of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? | We are getting
    | soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear! | --Henri Desgrange, _L'Equipe_ article of 1902 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > David Bruno wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a rear track spinergy. The nuts that face the inside of the frame are different from
    > > ones I'm used to seeing in that there is no grooved side which digs into the frame for that
    > > extra security. Instead, one side of the nut is flat and the other side has a thin elevated
    > > ring near the outer edge. The question is...which side should face the frame and is this less
    > > secure than nuts with a grooved side?
    > >
    > The side with the ridge faces out against the fork end. The ridge is intended to serve the same
    > function as the serrations.
    >
    > This system generally works fine, as long as the nuts or QR skewer are properly tightened. If your
    > hub uses nuts, it is important that their be some sort of washer betwixt the nut and the outside
    > of the fork end. The good "track nuts" have a captive washer permanently peened onto the nut.

    If you don't have the "good" nuts, your LBS can order some, or hop on over to the site for all
    things track: www.businesscycles.com.

    Mike