track bike out of carbon frame

byron27

Oct 19, 2003
I have been looking to buy a track bike for a while and am having problems finding one in my size (~60cm) second-hand. I have had an old CFR1 carbon frame sitting around for a couple of years and am wondering if i could get the dropouts converted to track and set this up as a track bike. Is this possible with carbon fibre??

Originally posted by byron27
I have been looking to buy a track bike for a while and am having problems finding one in my size (~60cm) second-hand. I have had an old CFR1 carbon frame sitting around for a couple of years and am wondering if i could get the dropouts converted to track and set this up as a track bike. Is this possible with carbon fibre??
Anything is possible with enough money. The the old dropouts could be removed,track dropouts fabricated and replaced. More money than it's worth. Checked ebay for track frames or bikes?

Originally posted by boudreaux
Anything is possible with enough money. The the old dropouts could be removed,track dropouts fabricated and replaced. More money than it's worth. Checked ebay for track frames or bikes?

I have, but there doesnt seem to be that many track frames or complete bikes available in australia and i dont really want to get one from overseas. Cost too much.

hillbrick, cannondale and a few other manufacturers offer track frames in Australia but you may have to talk to the distributors to get one.

For entry level hillbrick do a full track bike for around $1000

converting over a road bike would be a hassle and an old CFR is unlikely to be stiff enough for serious use

Originally posted by byron27
am wondering if i could get the dropouts converted to track and set this up as a track bike. Is this possible with carbon fibre??

You could weld up your dropouts and then file them into track dropouts. Would depend on how much meat is there and how much adjustment you want for your back wheel. Just a sugestion.

byron27 said:

I know a bit of time has passed but do you still have the CFR. I have an old CFR3 that is getting a bit long in the tooth and looking for a replacement. (I'm in Perth)

mentat6059 said:
I know a bit of time has passed but do you still have the CFR. I have an old CFR3 that is getting a bit long in the tooth and looking for a replacement. (I'm in Perth)
hi, how are you doing?
I sold my CFR frame about 3 months ago to a family friend and has built it up as a winter beater. sorry about that!.