Track bike question

David Kerber

Guest
Are track bikes _required_ to be fixed gear, or is that just the way they are? If not required, why
wouldn't they run something like a two-speed like top fuel dragsters (fast and faster) do, so they
wouldn't have to crank so many rpm at top speed?

Just curious...

it's morning".

>Are track bikes _required_ to be fixed gear, or is that just the way they are? If not required, why
>wouldn't they run something like a two-speed like top fuel dragsters (fast and faster) do, so they
>wouldn't have to crank so many rpm at top speed?

USCF Rule 1J3. For track races, only a bicycle with a single cog fixed wheel and without derailleurs
may be used.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:56:09 GMT, Chris Neary <[email protected]
> Said:

>>Are track bikes _required_ to be fixed gear, or is that just the way they are? If not required,
>>why wouldn't they run something like a two-speed like top fuel dragsters (fast and faster) do, so
>>they wouldn't have to crank so many rpm at top speed?
>
>USCF Rule 1J3. For track races, only a bicycle with a single cog fixed wheel and without
>derailleurs may be used.

There are also practical issues;

- Weight.

- In a pursuit or motor you're going a constant speed for 99% of the race, no need for a
different gear.

- In a sprint you need the control of the fixed gear to regulate your speed relative to your
opponent and it's a really quick changing race and you wouldn't have time to shift anyway.

- In all events on a track where any drafting or close riding is taking place you count on the
fact that whomever is in front of you is riding a fixed gear and can only change their speed a
slight amount.

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:56:09 GMT, Chris Neary <[email protected]
> > Said:
>
> >>Are track bikes _required_ to be fixed gear, or is that just the way they are? If not required,
> >>why wouldn't they run something like a two-speed like top fuel dragsters (fast and faster) do,
> >>so they wouldn't have to crank so many rpm at top speed?
> >
> >USCF Rule 1J3. For track races, only a bicycle with a single cog fixed wheel and without
> >derailleurs may be used.
>
> There are also practical issues;
>
> - Weight.

Doesn't mean much on a track.

> - In a pursuit or motor you're going a constant speed for 99% of the race, no need for a
> different gear.

Yes, I can see that.

> - In a sprint you need the control of the fixed gear to regulate your speed relative to your
> opponent and it's a really quick changing race and you wouldn't have time to shift anyway.

You could build (for example) a two-speed derailleur with a fixed hub (not a ratcheting mechanism
like a freehub) and a push-button, spring- loaded shifter which would let you shift up by just
tapping a button as you accelerate. That would retain the speed control advantages of the fixed
gear, still wouldn't need brakes, and the time lost shifting would be very small, and might be
outweighed by not having to crank 200 rpm in the final sprint.

it's morning".

>You could build (for example) a two-speed derailleur with a fixed hub (not a ratcheting mechanism
>like a freehub) and a push-button, spring- loaded shifter which would let you shift up by just
>tapping a button as you accelerate. That would retain the speed control advantages of the fixed
>gear, still wouldn't need brakes, and the time lost shifting would be very small, and might be
>outweighed by not having to crank 200 rpm in the final sprint.

Derailleur's don't work well with fixed gears as reverse pedalling for braking can potentially rip
the derailleur off the frame. That's why derailleur-like devices aren't used to maintain chain
tension on fixed gears.

A better option is a hub gear. Once upon a time Sturmey-Archer made such a device - surviving
examples go for big bucks on eBay. For an example, see:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187112056&category=420

There is also a firm building new 2-speed fixed hubs: http://www.thebikesmith.com/special.htm

I think the bottom line on track competition is that gear selection has become part of the sport,
and the addition of multiple gears isn't something the competitors are looking to do.

Chris Neary <[email protected] > wrote:

> A better option is a hub gear. Once upon a time Sturmey-Archer made such a device - surviving
> examples go for big bucks on eBay. For an example, see:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187112056&category=420
>
> There is also a firm building new 2-speed fixed hubs: http://www.thebikesmith.com/special.htm

It's also possible to take an old Sturmey-Archer AW three-speed hub and turn it into a
two-speed fixie:

<http://sheldonbrown.com/awfixed.html>

It's not for the mechanically unskilled, and I have no idea if it could be done with a Sunrace
Sturmey hub.

Mountain Drive or Speed Drive cranksets are not usable with fixed-gear, according to Schlumpf.
--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam
A. Because it destroys the natural flow of conversation.

> >You could build (for example) a two-speed derailleur with a fixed hub (not a ratcheting mechanism
> >like a freehub) and a push-button, spring- loaded shifter which would let you shift up by just
> >tapping a button as you accelerate. That would retain the speed control advantages of the fixed
> >gear, still wouldn't need brakes, and the time lost shifting would be very small, and might be
> >outweighed by not having to crank 200 rpm in the final sprint.
>
> Derailleur's don't work well with fixed gears as reverse pedalling for braking can potentially rip
> the derailleur off the frame. That's why derailleur-like devices aren't used to maintain chain
> tension on fixed gears.
>
> A better option is a hub gear. Once upon a time Sturmey-Archer made such a device - surviving
> examples go for big bucks on eBay. For an example, see:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187112056&category=420

I hadn't thought of the hub gears, and I'm sure you're correct that it would work better. It would
also be more aerodynamic.

> There is also a firm building new 2-speed fixed hubs: http://www.thebikesmith.com/special.htm
>
> I think the bottom line on track competition is that gear selection has become part of the sport,
> and the addition of multiple gears isn't something the competitors are looking to do.

I'll bet if the rules allowed it, you would see it, though probably not in the pursuit races where
you aren't changing speeds much.

it's morning".