track chainline q'n

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gemma Kernich, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Hi all, I have a new Miche track bottom bracket (107 ISO) to match a set of miche track cranks. The
    BB is a cartridge style, with the two floating end cups that screw into the frame. (ie is similar to
    a shimano ultegra BB). However unlike a road bottom bracket, there isn't a 'lip' on the RH side end
    cup to limit how far it can be screwed into the frame. Can anyone tell me the best way to obtain the
    correct chainline with this infinitely adjustable bottom bracket? Am I supposed to screw the RH side
    in flush with the frame, or iteratively put the bb in, measure the chainline somehow, remove cranks,
    adjust BB, ..... etc? Cheers Gemma

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:51:26 +0930, "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all, I have a new Miche track bottom bracket (107 ISO) to match a set of miche track cranks. The
    >BB is a cartridge style, with the two floating end cups that screw into the frame. (ie is similar
    >to a shimano ultegra BB). However unlike a road bottom bracket, there isn't a 'lip' on the RH side
    >end cup to limit how far it can be screwed into the frame. Can anyone tell me the best way to
    >obtain the correct chainline with this infinitely adjustable bottom bracket? Am I supposed to screw
    >the RH side in flush with the frame, or iteratively put the bb in, measure the chainline somehow,
    >remove cranks, adjust BB, ..... etc?

    Start by installing the left and right cups spaced equidistantly from the respective faces of the
    bottom bracket shell (same number of threads exposed [or recessed] on both sides). Install the cups
    with sufficient torque as if it were the final assembly. Fit the right crank and chainring and
    measure the chainline. If it's good, mount the left crank and finish the bike assembly. If there's a
    chainline error, remove the right crank, make a compensatory lateral adjustment of the bottom
    bracket cups, refit RH crank and remeasure. Repeat as necessary.

    John
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles Miami,
    Florida 305-273-4440
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
    year online