Track Cranks

Lasalles

Aug 6, 2003
Hey everyone,just wondering what track cranks everyone uses or reccomends??? Im looking at getting a Felt TK2 bike in afew months (if they ever arrive in Oz) and it comes stock with Truvativ Elita cranks. Are these any good???

Never seen or heard of them. Most of the track stuff around is fairly high end (ie. record, dura ace) or old stuff. Some of the guys use Miche or suntour which are both excellent budget options and i would imagine the truvativ are along the same lines as these. Just check what size bolt pattern (pcd/bcd) they are before you go and buy chainrings as they may not be standard (5bolt 144mm) i know that Miche are not. Basically you can't go wrong with track stuff, and from a brand name such a s truvativ im sure you will be ok. I personally run FSA's new track cranks with a solid carbon spider and so far would not recommend them. They have play in them that is currently being rectified by the LBS (hopefully) if not then i will be on the lookout for a set of Shimano Dura-ace i think.

Originally posted by Lasalles
Hey everyone,just wondering what track cranks everyone uses or reccomends??? Im looking at getting a Felt TK2 bike in afew months (if they ever arrive in Oz) and it comes stock with Truvativ Elita cranks. Are these any good???

Never heard of the Truvativs. I used to run sugino road cranks (sounds dodgy but they did the job) and i couldnt find a problem with them. Switched to miche this season because one of the guys was selling them cheap with chainrings. No problems with them yet either. One of the kids at the club was having problems with his cranks coming loose a couple of years ago due to poor shaping of the crank. I think these were redline; big polished things with black writing, so id stay away from them. Hope that helped.

I used to have Durace 165mm road cranks and they were fine too.If i buy the Felt bike i suppose i could take the cranks off.

The best track cranks around are the Dura Ace. They are lighter and stiffer than Campagnolo Record, due to the larger diameter botttom bracket, also the "Hollowtech" engineering of the crankarms. Funnily enough, they are also stiffer than the Dura Ace 9 speed road cranks!
Dura Ace cranks are NJS approved for the stresses of Japanese Keirin racing, unlike Campag :eek:)

I have used Miche cranks in the past, beautifully engineered and good value - but the crank arm flex is much more noticable.
Steve

il just run down the hospital to sell one of my kidneys,then perhaps i can buy some lol,

Originally posted by Lasalles
il just run down the hospital to sell one of my kidneys,then perhaps i can buy some lol,

that's a good point.....how can it be that less components still equals mega $$$??? :D