Track Etiquette

G

Seems like there are a few riders new to the track in here.

Anyone know of any websites or have any good tips on Track Etiquette.

Here is one to start...

Don't stop pedalling!

I'd like to reiterate 2laps 'dont stop pedalling' tip. It sounds like a really daft tip but on the road you're used to giving it your all across the line then sitting up and taking a breather. If you do the same on the track the fixed wheel will throw you over the handlebars!

I find the easiest thing to do is when you're finished sprinting (and waaaay knackered) is to sit down and relax your legs completely - that way they carry on spinning away by themselves. Keep your knees pointed slightly outwards though or the cross bar will give you a nice bruise on each knee cap.

Another tip is - heads up! On the road you can see ahead pretty easily but on a banked track you have to look quite high up to see the rider just a few meters ahead of you.

Awareness is also important - theres a lot more action so it's important to check that you're not switching someone when you decide to head off into the distance.

Most important is RELAX! It sounds scary not having brakes but I reckon it's safer on the track (in an experienced bunch). No side winds means no echelons, a good surface means no swerving for potholes and no brakes means that the idiot that panics in front of you can't jam on his brakes and have you run into the back of him.

Originally posted by Guest
Seems like there are a few riders new to the track in here.

Anyone know of any websites or have any good tips on Track Etiquette.

Here is one to start...

Don't stop pedalling!

I keep telling people if you can remember 3 important safety tips, anyone can ride the track.

1. Never, Ever, stop pedaling!
2. Don't turn right
3. Don't underlap wheels.

If you're a reasonably compentent cyclist, the rest is easy.

Mike

main thing is keep a straight line and if ur out i frint sprinting for the line don't look around just look at the line a go. if u are off a front mark and pople catch u stya down the tarck don't swing up and get in peoples way. and yer never stop pedaling. by the way I'm a U/17 scratch rider in Tassy ok here the thing i sprint at about 70km a hour.so if theres a rider who croses the line and stops dead there no were for the fast finshers to go and keep pedaling after u cross the line. but any way u learn by ur mistakes and normaly if u do some thing wrong the other guys will just tell u were u went wrong and just not to do it next time. but if u keep doing thing thats when people get mad. last but not least if ur on a banked track kepp preasure on teh pedals it's not how fast u go that keeps u up it's a good even pedal stroke. beside on aur tassy velodrome(like the supra drome in adleiade) track i can get down to about 8km and o a tarck in QLD out door thing u can just about stop!

70 k/h x .62m/k = 43.4 m/h

43.4 mph, or faster than any 16 year old 200m TT at this year's world junior championships in Russia.

I'm not a math wiz, but that's a 10.29s 200M by my calculations.

You should be on the Elite worlds team, and give Sean a run.

alway, always, always pay attention. At a recent training session i made the mistake of not looking around before beggining a flying 200. i came down on a world championship sprinter and ran her off the track
ooops