track forks

sideshow_bob

Apr 26, 2005
I'm about to build my first track bike and have purchased a nice track frame. Sourcing the parts isn't proving too hard, but I'm stumped on the forks. Do I go for a track specific set of forks that aren't drilled and have about 25mm of rake, or do most people use a stiff road fork (that is drilled and has 43mm of rake)?

Any advice appreciated.

--brett

Depends on the steering and handling characteristics you want.

The long rake will result in quicker steering which is sometimes good for track racing but it is also possible the bike will be less stable at high speeds.

Alex Simmons said:
Depends on the steering and handling characteristics you want.

The long rake will result in quicker steering which is sometimes good for track racing but it is also possible the bike will be less stable at high speeds.

Thanks for the reply Alex.

Part of the problem is I don't really know what I want. I've never actually sat on a track bike before. At this stage I'm just looking to do some track workouts as an ends to a means for improving my road sprinting ability (which is pitiful and any type of specific training can only improve). I'm sure however, that like most things I touch I get competitive about and I'll end up doing some racing with my club (Lidcombe-Auburn) who have a fairly strong track program.

So, for a complete gumby beginner, what would you tend to recommend?

I hope your recovery is progressing well btw.

--brett

As you're a newbie, go with the road geometry fork. The dedicated track forks are extremely twitchy. 43 degree rake road fork will work just fine - I use one at my home track (Burnaby Velodrome 200m 45 degree banked wood track).

tonyzackery said:
As you're a newbie, go with the road geometry fork. The dedicated track forks are extremely twitchy. 43 degree rake road fork will work just fine - I use one at my home track (Burnaby Velodrome 200m 45 degree banked wood track).

thanks for the feedback. unfortunately in the interim between me posting the question and you posting a reply, i decided to go with aero track specific forks. so they have about 25mm on them.

i'm just waiting on the cranks to arrive, then i'll finish the build and have a shot on the boards. even if it's just training as opposed to racing at this stage.

--brett