track pedals

sideshow_bob

Apr 26, 2005
i'm just finishing building my first track bike. it only took about 5 years of talking about it before i finally took the plunge.

across all of my road and mountain bikes i use eggbeaters. i'd consider them for my track bike (for cleat/shoe compatibility) but wouldn't mind chatting to someone who's tried the combo previously before setting up that way. i've got a set of quattro sl's gathering dust that i could put on there also.

so other than this choice, what are peoples preferences for track pedals and why (at this stage i'm limiting my choice to clipless only and with skinny climber legs the chances of me ever pulling a cleat are probably remote to nil)?

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
...what are peoples preferences for track pedals and why (at this stage i'm limiting my choice to clipless only and with skinny climber legs the chances of me ever pulling a cleat are probably remote to nil)?...
I always liked clips with double straps on the track itself and some form of clipless for road training on a fixie. I tried to replace my vintage Sidi Titaniums and realized just how hard it is to find old school cleated shoes. There's a few companies making slot cleats to fit Look drilled patterns but they didn't work for me with the slot in the wrong place. Anyway, I've gone to an old pair of Dura Ace Look pedals with a single strap riveted to them.

You might not normally pull out of a road pedal on pure power, but jumping down bank on a flying 200 or pulling hard to get a Kilo or Pursuit rolling is a bit different than normal road riding. And if you do pull out, especially during something like your kick for a flying 200 and you're really hosed on a track bike. You'll almost cerainly go head over bars if you pull out of a track pedal while out of the saddle. It's just not as forgiving as a bike that coasts. Anyway, I like something really secure. I'd probably trust Speedplays without any extra straps and have certainly ridden other clipless pedals for steadier events, but I'd want a real secure pedal for anything that involves hard out of the saddle jumps on the track. The penalty is just too big on a fixie....

Good luck,
Dave

I understand that CB's clip design actually tightens with an upward pull. Would this be secure enough for the needs of track?

Track riding isn't real big here (in fact doesn't exist) but on the road with a newly-acquired Fuji Track I use Speedplay zeros. That's what I've got on my road bike, and wanted to stay with the quick, two-sided clip-in for learning to get on and off the fixie.

Brett, you know what happened to me. I'm switching to rattraps and straps.

Why don't you put whatever your got on the bike and do a couple of evenings at Canterbury (Tempe) and your own home track at Hurstville.

mikesbytes said:
Brett, you know what happened to me. I'm switching to rattraps and straps.

Why don't you put whatever your got on the bike and do a couple of evenings at Canterbury (Tempe) and your own home track at Hurstville.

my own home track will actually probably be dgv, i only live about 10 minutes from it.

i know you pulled out and flipped, but its hard to comment on that cause i don't know what kind of pedals you had in there when you did that, how old they were, how the cleats were, what kind of retention setting you had dialled in etc etc.

i think at this stage i'm going to put quattros in and see how they go, i'm going to the world cup in a few weeks at dgv and will take note of what i see people using there.

--brett

sogood said:
I understand that CB's clip design actually tightens with an upward pull. Would this be secure enough for the needs of track?

someone once made a comment to me when i asked how eggbeaters would go crit racing they were using them on the track (and were happy). but i can't find the post now.

i like eggbeaters and crit/road racing they've been fine for me. how would they go from a big gear in a standing start is a bit of a different question. i think you're right straight up and down and by design they'll be 'more' secure the more you are pulling. the problem probably is when you start tilting the bike off axis.

anyway i'll have a go and see how they go. my cranks arrived today so i'll finish the build tonight. i've got a day off tomorrow so might roll up to dgv and do a few laps.

hmm ... rolling round a flat track or many hill repeats out at woronora ... decisions decisions.

--brett

Yes, I am also on Quattros on my two road bikes.

If rotational factors are introduced, then all the pedals are susceptible. At least we have 6° of freedom with our CB cleats. Presently I am comforted by the fact that CB pedals are theoretically more secure on a hard pull and there does not seem to be any reports of accidental vertical pull-outs on the net. As you pointed out earlier on Mike's situation, the concern may come when there's wear on those cleats. But how can one tell?

sideshow_bob said:
my own home track will actually probably be dgv, i only live about 10 minutes from it.

i know you pulled out and flipped, but its hard to comment on that cause i don't know what kind of pedals you had in there when you did that, how old they were, how the cleats were, what kind of retention setting you had dialled in etc etc.

i think at this stage i'm going to put quattros in and see how they go, i'm going to the world cup in a few weeks at dgv and will take note of what i see people using there.

--brett
It was the first time I'd pulled out on a track bike. Your much more likely to hit the deck from accidental release on the track than your are on the road.

Make sure your well secured and don't use new tyres at DGV.

sogood said:
As you pointed out earlier on Mike's situation, the concern may come when there's wear on those cleats. But how can one tell?

I find as you wear the CB cleats:

a) There is visible grooving in the brass at the pedal contact points, and:

b) You get a little vertical play in the pedal/cleat interface. Not much but only seems to be present in a cleat with good miles in it. Is that play enough that you'd ever come out? I don't know, I just replace the cleats about every 5,000km or so. Given on average I do about 350-400km per week spread amongst 3 sets of shoes, I'm averaging around 1-2 cleat changes a year in each set of shoes.

As an aside I bought some of the 'save our soles' stainless plates about 6 months ago and have nearly worn though one set of them as well. I'm about to give the 3 hole Quattro cleat a try.

--brett

mikesbytes said:
Make sure your well secured and don't use new tyres at DGV.

I'll be taking it easy first time out. You mentioned once before requiring different tires at DGV to Tempe, whats the deal with that? I put Conti Supersonics onto Greg Ryan's TWE wheels on the weekend. They are very tacky and I'm hoping will be fine for concrete or wood.

I've just ordered carbon road wheels and apart from the cost of the wheels am up for a few sets of tubs, so it'd be nice to think I can sneak by on the track without needing to buy more items!

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
As an aside I bought some of the 'save our soles' stainless plates about 6 months ago and have nearly worn though one set of them as well. I'm about to give the 3 hole Quattro cleat a try.
I was thinking about getting a set of those too but dared not ask for our local price on it.

I understand some of the track boys like to modify their clipless pedal for a strap. I was thinking how it can be done on the Quattro.

sideshow_bob said:
I'll be taking it easy first time out. You mentioned once before requiring different tires at DGV to Tempe, whats the deal with that? I put Conti Supersonics onto Greg Ryan's TWE wheels on the weekend. They are very tacky and I'm hoping will be fine for concrete or wood.

I've just ordered carbon road wheels and apart from the cost of the wheels am up for a few sets of tubs, so it'd be nice to think I can sneak by on the track without needing to buy more items!

--brett
I've heard stories of some tyres being slippery at DGV, I discussed this with Paul Craft as I currently have **** $5 nylon tyres on my trackie and was concerned that it could be an issue and he explained that is wasn't the type of tyre but whether it was new or not. It should also be noted that the surface of DGV has been sanded at some point, so it isn't as slippery as it use to be.

If your just rolling around doing some training, your soon find out if you have any grip issues or not.

just finished the build. not quite a bt, but a little different to the hillbricks (which are great bikes!) that many many riders are on.

unfortunately i've decided it's too nice to ride inside today, so hill repeats are in order. i'll break the track bike in at a later date.

1.jpg

2.jpg

--brett

Nice bike Brett.

I think there's some summer racing at Lidcome, I might turn up one Friday.

i aim to please! well everyone except my wife who forensically examines the credit card statements, she's generally not pleased at all.

--brett