Track pump recommendation?

Rick

Guest
Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo are
selling one at the very low price of £7.99, but I've read
bad reports about it. Halfords sell one at £20, and
Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the price now.
However, having never even used one before, I have no idea
which one to buy.

Can anyone help? TIA!

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
> track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
> are selling one at the very
low
> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> can't remember the price now. However, having never even
> used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
>
> Can anyone help? TIA!

Hi,

Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords being
one of them) and been less than impressed I recently bought
a Top Peak JoeBlow for around £29 and can honestly say it's
the dogs, very sturdy & should last a very long time. I
suggest you spend a little bit more and get one.

Cheers

FM

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
> track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
> are selling one at the very
low
> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> can't remember the price now. However, having never even
> used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
>
> Can anyone help? TIA!

Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler (although
not as good as the one I bought in a French hypermarket for
4 euros ....!)

RG

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:29:30 -0000, "fm" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
>> track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
>> are selling one at the very
>low
>> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
>> Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
>> can't remember the price now. However, having never even
>> used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
>>
>> Can anyone help? TIA!
>>

>Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords being
>one of them) and been less than impressed I recently bought
>a Top Peak JoeBlow for around £29 and can honestly say it's
>the dogs, very sturdy & should last a very long time. I
>suggest you spend a little bit more and get one.

Having asked the same question myself of the group around
six months ago I ended up with a Joe Blow (impulse bought
from Halfords whilst after some motorbike oil). I'm
pleasantly surprised. For something with all plastic
construction it's remarkable sturdy, feels good to use and
get tyres up to high pressures without any bother.

Whether I'll still have it in 20 years, I don't know, but
it's good enough.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
> > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
> > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
> low
> > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> > can't remember the price now.
However,
> > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
> > one to buy.
> >
> > Can anyone help? TIA!
> >

> Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
> about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
> getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler
> (although not as good as the one I bought in a French
> hypermarket for 4 euros ....!)
>
> RG

I think the Argos one is better than the Beto I bought from
Carrefour. Although the Argos one does take quite a bit of
weight to get > 110 psi.

I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs. Nice
sturdy metal construction and should hopefully last for
years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25 + P&P from
bromley cycles. That was the best price i could find.

David Waters wrote:
> I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs.
> Nice sturdy metal construction and should hopefully last
> for years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25 + P&P
> from bromley cycles. That was the best price i could find.

Working in halfords I would reccommend either the joe blow
sport (the yellow one} or the joe blow comp (the silver one)
We use the comp in the work shop and we probably get about
10 personal life times worth of use out of them.

Michael

fm wrote:

> Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
> being one of them=
) and
> been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
> JoeBlow for aroun=
d =A329
> and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
> last a very lo=
ng
> time.

I use a JoeBlow too. It replaced a Zefal Rush which worked
okay, but=20 the JB is just a better piece of kit.
Especially if you have a choice=20 of valves (MTB and the
Muni use Shraeders, others all use Prestas, no=20 faffing
with adaters needed). Certainly no complaints with mine.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382
660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44
1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
[email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Rick wrote:

>Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
>track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo are
>selling one at the very low price of £7.99, but I've read
>bad reports about it. Halfords sell one at £20, and
>Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the price now.
>However, having never even used one before, I have no idea
>which one to buy.
>
>Can anyone help? TIA!

I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm

Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

davep

davep wrote:
> I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
> info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm
>
> Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

Parker Int also have the Super Pista, @ £26.90 http://www.parker-
international.co.uk/accessories.htm

Good pump, especially great for high pressure tyres (dial
goes up to a whackin' 240psi!), except the chuck slips off
presta valves sometimes. I replaced mine with a Topeak
Smarthead.*

* supplied with hose. I joined hose to Silca hose as Topeak
hose nor hardware is directly compatible with Silca pump.

~PB

"fm" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
> > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
> > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
> low
> > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> > can't remember the price now.
However,
> > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
> > one to buy.
> >
> > Can anyone help? TIA!
> >

> Hi,
>
> Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
> being one of them)
and
> been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
> JoeBlow for around
£29
> and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
> last a very long time. I suggest you spend a little bit
> more and get one.

Sounds good. I've seen them advertised mail order, so that's
what I'll probably do. Thanks for the advice!

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
> > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
> > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
> low
> > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> > can't remember the price now.
However,
> > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
> > one to buy.
> >
> > Can anyone help? TIA!
> >

> Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
> about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
> getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler
> (although not as good as the one I bought in a French
> hypermarket for 4 euros ....!)

Hmm, I have an Argos catalogue right beside me and never
even noticed it had cycling stuff! Thanks for the tip-off.

"BenS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:29:30 -0000, "fm"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
> >> effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
> >> either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
> >low
> >> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> >> Halfords sell one
at
> >> £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the
> >> price now.
However,
> >> having never even used one before, I have no idea which
> >> one to buy.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help? TIA!
> >>

> >Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
> >being one of them)
and
> >been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
> >JoeBlow for around
£29
> >and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
> >last a very long time. I suggest you spend a little bit
> >more and get one.
>
> Having asked the same question myself of the group around
> six months ago I ended up with a Joe Blow (impulse bought
> from Halfords whilst after some motorbike oil). I'm
> pleasantly surprised. For something with all plastic
> construction it's remarkable sturdy, feels good to use and
> get tyres up to high pressures without any bother.
>
> Whether I'll still have it in 20 years, I don't know, but
> it's good enough.

Good stuff! This Joe Blow (shame about the name, but what
the hell) seems to be popular. Thanks!

fm wrote:

> Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
> being one of them)
and
> been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
> JoeBlow for around
£29
> and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
> last a very long time.

"I use a JoeBlow too. It replaced a Zefal Rush which worked
okay, but the JB is just a better piece of kit. Especially
if you have a choice of valves (MTB and the Muni use
Shraeders, others all use Prestas, no faffing with adaters
needed). Certainly no complaints with mine."

When you say it doesn't need an adapter, do you mean it's
one of those that you have to take the insides out and
change them the other way round to use a different valve
type? I'm not very fond of those, I have to admit. But since
that would involve even more "faffing", I don't suppose
that's what you mean. Does it just take both valve types
without you having to do anything then? Cheers

"Michael Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Waters wrote:
> > I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs.
> > Nice sturdy metal construction and should hopefully
> > last for years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25
> > + P&P from bromley cycles. That was the best price i
> > could find.
>

> Working in halfords I would reccommend either the joe blow
> sport (the yellow one} or the joe blow comp (the silver
> one) We use the comp in the work shop and we probably get
> about 10 personal life times worth of use out of them.

What's the difference (price and spec) between the two then
(apart from the colour)? TIA

"davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rick wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
> >track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
> >are selling one at the very
low
> >price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
> >Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
> >can't remember the price now. However, having never even
> >used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
> >
> >Can anyone help? TIA!
> >

> I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
> info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm
>
> Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that one too.

Wrong Argos ;-) <url:http://www.argoscycles.com>

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:06:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rick"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >Hmm, I have an Argos catalogue right beside me and never
> >even noticed it
had
> >cycling stuff! Thanks for the tip-off.
>
> Wrong Argos ;-) <url:http://www.argoscycles.com>

Hmm, except that this Argos of yours doesn't seem to sell
pumps, although the High Street one does!