Track pump recommendation?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rick, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo are
    selling one at the very low price of £7.99, but I've read
    bad reports about it. Halfords sell one at £20, and
    Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the price now.
    However, having never even used one before, I have no idea
    which one to buy.

    Can anyone help? TIA!

    Tags:

  2. Fm

    Fm Guest

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    > track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
    > are selling one at the very
    low
    > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > can't remember the price now. However, having never even
    > used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
    >
    > Can anyone help? TIA!

    Hi,

    Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords being
    one of them) and been less than impressed I recently bought
    a Top Peak JoeBlow for around £29 and can honestly say it's
    the dogs, very sturdy & should last a very long time. I
    suggest you spend a little bit more and get one.

    Cheers

    FM

  3. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    > track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
    > are selling one at the very
    low
    > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > can't remember the price now. However, having never even
    > used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
    >
    > Can anyone help? TIA!

    Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
    about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
    getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler (although
    not as good as the one I bought in a French hypermarket for
    4 euros ....!)

    RG

  4. Bens

    Bens Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:29:30 -0000, "fm" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    >> track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
    >> are selling one at the very
    >low
    >> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    >> Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    >> can't remember the price now. However, having never even
    >> used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help? TIA!
    >>

    >Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords being
    >one of them) and been less than impressed I recently bought
    >a Top Peak JoeBlow for around £29 and can honestly say it's
    >the dogs, very sturdy & should last a very long time. I
    >suggest you spend a little bit more and get one.

    Having asked the same question myself of the group around
    six months ago I ended up with a Joe Blow (impulse bought
    from Halfords whilst after some motorbike oil). I'm
    pleasantly surprised. For something with all plastic
    construction it's remarkable sturdy, feels good to use and
    get tyres up to high pressures without any bother.

    Whether I'll still have it in 20 years, I don't know, but
    it's good enough.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

  5. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
    > > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
    > > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
    > low
    > > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > > can't remember the price now.
    However,
    > > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
    > > one to buy.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help? TIA!
    > >

    > Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
    > about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
    > getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler
    > (although not as good as the one I bought in a French
    > hypermarket for 4 euros ....!)
    >
    > RG

    I think the Argos one is better than the Beto I bought from
    Carrefour. Although the Argos one does take quite a bit of
    weight to get > 110 psi.

  6. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs. Nice
    sturdy metal construction and should hopefully last for
    years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25 + P&P from
    bromley cycles. That was the best price i could find.

  7. Michael Kent

    Michael Kent Guest

    David Waters wrote:
    > I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs.
    > Nice sturdy metal construction and should hopefully last
    > for years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25 + P&P
    > from bromley cycles. That was the best price i could find.

    Working in halfords I would reccommend either the joe blow
    sport (the yellow one} or the joe blow comp (the silver one)
    We use the comp in the work shop and we probably get about
    10 personal life times worth of use out of them.

    Michael

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    fm wrote:

    > Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
    > being one of them=
    ) and
    > been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
    > JoeBlow for aroun=
    d =A329
    > and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
    > last a very lo=
    ng
    > time.

    I use a JoeBlow too. It replaced a Zefal Rush which worked
    okay, but=20 the JB is just a better piece of kit.
    Especially if you have a choice=20 of valves (MTB and the
    Muni use Shraeders, others all use Prestas, no=20 faffing
    with adaters needed). Certainly no complaints with mine.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382
    660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44
    1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Rick wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    >track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo are
    >selling one at the very low price of £7.99, but I've read
    >bad reports about it. Halfords sell one at £20, and
    >Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the price now.
    >However, having never even used one before, I have no idea
    >which one to buy.
    >
    >Can anyone help? TIA!

    I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
    info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm

    Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

    davep

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    davep wrote:
    > I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
    > info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm
    >
    > Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

    Parker Int also have the Super Pista, @ £26.90 http://www.parker-
    international.co.uk/accessories.htm

    Good pump, especially great for high pressure tyres (dial
    goes up to a whackin' 240psi!), except the chuck slips off
    presta valves sometimes. I replaced mine with a Topeak
    Smarthead.*

    * supplied with hose. I joined hose to Silca hose as Topeak
    hose nor hardware is directly compatible with Silca pump.

    ~PB

  11. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "fm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
    > > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
    > > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
    > low
    > > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > > can't remember the price now.
    However,
    > > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
    > > one to buy.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help? TIA!
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
    > being one of them)
    and
    > been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
    > JoeBlow for around
    £29
    > and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
    > last a very long time. I suggest you spend a little bit
    > more and get one.

    Sounds good. I've seen them advertised mail order, so that's
    what I'll probably do. Thanks for the advice!

  12. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
    > > effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
    > > either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
    > low
    > > price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > > Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > > can't remember the price now.
    However,
    > > having never even used one before, I have no idea which
    > > one to buy.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help? TIA!
    > >

    > Have a look in Argos - I bought one a few months back for
    > about a tenner, complete with gauge etc - works fine,
    > getting pressure to over 100 for my small wheeler
    > (although not as good as the one I bought in a French
    > hypermarket for 4 euros ....!)

    Hmm, I have an Argos catalogue right beside me and never
    even noticed it had cycling stuff! Thanks for the tip-off.

  13. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "BenS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:29:30 -0000, "fm"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and
    > >> effective track pump? Preferably not too expensive
    > >> either. Tchibo are selling one at the very
    > >low
    > >> price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > >> Halfords sell one
    at
    > >> £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one, can't remember the
    > >> price now.
    However,
    > >> having never even used one before, I have no idea which
    > >> one to buy.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help? TIA!
    > >>

    > >Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
    > >being one of them)
    and
    > >been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
    > >JoeBlow for around
    £29
    > >and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
    > >last a very long time. I suggest you spend a little bit
    > >more and get one.
    >
    > Having asked the same question myself of the group around
    > six months ago I ended up with a Joe Blow (impulse bought
    > from Halfords whilst after some motorbike oil). I'm
    > pleasantly surprised. For something with all plastic
    > construction it's remarkable sturdy, feels good to use and
    > get tyres up to high pressures without any bother.
    >
    > Whether I'll still have it in 20 years, I don't know, but
    > it's good enough.

    Good stuff! This Joe Blow (shame about the name, but what
    the hell) seems to be popular. Thanks!

  14. Rick

    Rick Guest

    fm wrote:

    > Having tried cheapo track pumps in the past (Halfords
    > being one of them)
    and
    > been less than impressed I recently bought a Top Peak
    > JoeBlow for around
    £29
    > and can honestly say it's the dogs, very sturdy & should
    > last a very long time.

    "I use a JoeBlow too. It replaced a Zefal Rush which worked
    okay, but the JB is just a better piece of kit. Especially
    if you have a choice of valves (MTB and the Muni use
    Shraeders, others all use Prestas, no faffing with adaters
    needed). Certainly no complaints with mine."

    When you say it doesn't need an adapter, do you mean it's
    one of those that you have to take the insides out and
    change them the other way round to use a different valve
    type? I'm not very fond of those, I have to admit. But since
    that would involve even more "faffing", I don't suppose
    that's what you mean. Does it just take both valve types
    without you having to do anything then? Cheers

  15. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "Michael Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Waters wrote:
    > > I have a topeak Joe blow sport. I agree it is the dogs.
    > > Nice sturdy metal construction and should hopefully
    > > last for years. Highly recommended. I think I paid £25
    > > + P&P from bromley cycles. That was the best price i
    > > could find.
    >

    > Working in halfords I would reccommend either the joe blow
    > sport (the yellow one} or the joe blow comp (the silver
    > one) We use the comp in the work shop and we probably get
    > about 10 personal life times worth of use out of them.

    What's the difference (price and spec) between the two then
    (apart from the colour)? TIA

  16. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone recommend me a decent, reliable, and effective
    > >track pump? Preferably not too expensive either. Tchibo
    > >are selling one at the very
    low
    > >price of £7.99, but I've read bad reports about it.
    > >Halfords sell one at £20, and Wilkinsons even sell one,
    > >can't remember the price now. However, having never even
    > >used one before, I have no idea which one to buy.
    > >
    > >Can anyone help? TIA!
    > >

    > I like my Silca , plenty of spare parts available too, for
    > info on the Super Pista http://www.bikeworld.com/pump2.htm
    >
    > Ribble sell them for 26.95 or the Silca Track for 19.95

    Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at that one too.

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Wrong Argos ;-) <url:http://www.argoscycles.com>

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  18. Rick

    Rick Guest

    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:06:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rick"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Hmm, I have an Argos catalogue right beside me and never
    > >even noticed it
    had
    > >cycling stuff! Thanks for the tip-off.
    >
    > Wrong Argos ;-) <url:http://www.argoscycles.com>

    Hmm, except that this Argos of yours doesn't seem to sell
    pumps, although the High Street one does!