Track pump recommendations?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben, May 27, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.

    Any suggestions?

    Ta.
    --
    DIAABTCOD#11 BOTAFOT#75 ex-two#19 "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.

    Caveat that I haven't tried alternatives in the same range, but no complaints about my Topeak
    JoeBlow with a twin head. It is significantly better than the (rather cheaper) Zefal Rush, though
    that still represents good value IMHO.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    > Ben wrote:
    > > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.
    >
    > Caveat that I haven't tried alternatives in the same range, but no complaints about my Topeak
    > JoeBlow with a twin head.

    I would second that with the same caveat.

    Colin

  4. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    > > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.
    >
    > Caveat that I haven't tried alternatives in the same range, but no complaints about my Topeak
    > JoeBlow with a twin head.

    That the 'Sport' model one? Looking at Wiggle's site there are 4 different Joe Blow pumps ranging in
    price from 30 quid to 44 quid.
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > > Ben wrote:
    > > > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.
    > >
    > > Caveat that I haven't tried alternatives in the same range, but no complaints about my Topeak
    > > JoeBlow with a twin head.
    >
    > I would second that with the same caveat.

    Ta.
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  6. Alun Roberts

    Alun Roberts Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C32447.32C7D1E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"

    Don't buy the one from Lidls! OK it was cheap, but also nasty.

    It would be hard to blow a balloon up with it.

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C32447.32C7D1E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-15"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-15"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Don't buy the one from Lidls! OK it was cheap, but = also=20 nasty.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>It would be hard to blow a balloon up with=20
    it.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C32447.32C7D1E0--

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > That the 'Sport' model one? Looking at Wiggle's site there are 4=20 different Joe Blow pumps
    > ranging in price from 30 quid to 44 quid.

    Yes. More de-luxe versions have a single head that fastens onto either=20 valve type if you can't
    manage to remember which is which (the Sport has =

    a twin head, one side does Prestas and the other Schraeders, no adapters =

    or fiddling needed and you'd need to be a bit thick to have trouble with =

    it), and a top-mounted gauge to strain your eyesight a couple of feet=20 less (Sport's mounts at the
    bottom). The posher ones may have an alloy=20 barrel too, but unless you're carting it about that
    strikes me as a=20 <bof> feature to be honest.

    Mine was ~=A323 down from ~=A327 in the EBC bargain bin a couple of Janua= ry=20 sales ago IIRC.
    Prices have gone up a couple of quid, but have a look=20 at
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=3D8316 and =

    there it is for =A325 rather than =A330.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >=20
    > > That the 'Sport' model one? Looking at Wiggle's site there are 4=20 different Joe Blow pumps
    > > ranging in price from 30 quid to 44 quid.
    >=20
    > Yes. More de-luxe versions have a single head that fastens onto either=
    =20
    > valve type if you can't manage to remember which is which (the Sport has a twin head, one side
    > does Prestas and the other Schraeders, no adapters or fiddling needed and you'd need to be a bit
    > thick to have trouble with
    > it),

    Well that's a none issue as it'll only be doing Prestas.

    > and a top-mounted gauge to strain your eyesight a couple of feet=20 less (Sport's mounts at the
    > bottom). The posher ones may have an alloy=
    =20
    > barrel too, but unless you're carting it about that strikes me as a=20 <bof> feature to be honest.

    If it gets carted anywhere it'll be in the boot of the car.

    > Mine was ~=A323 down from ~=A327 in the EBC bargain bin a couple of Janua=
    ry=20
    > sales ago IIRC. Prices have gone up a couple of quid, but have a look=20 at
    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=3D8316 and there it is for =A325 rather
    > than =A330.

    Lovely, ta. Looks like I'll have one of them. --=20 ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to
    reply *********

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.

    Silca Super Pista - £27.95 from www.parker-international.co.uk/accessories.htm

    - Old-fasioned heavy-duty Italian track pump, all replaceable parts, pumps to 240 psi (and that's
    not a typo), can fully inflate a road tyre in seconds, good for any type of tyre.

    Various head options but I think the usual is the type I got with reversable insert (for presta &
    schraeder). My only critisms are that the push-to-fit chuck can be slightly annoying to use* and
    pump is noisy (loud clunk at bottom of stroke and old ones make moaning sounds! - but carry on
    actually pumping very well).

    * Requires a hard push and can slip sometimes, but many other users don't seem to mind it and it is
    at least simple & basically reliable (until washer wears out but this is cheap to replace), and
    whole head could be changed for a different make/model if you like.

    ~PB

  10. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    > > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.
    >=20
    > Silca Super Pista - =A327.95 from www.parker-international.co.uk/accessories.htm
    >=20
    > - Old-fasioned heavy-duty Italian track pump, all replaceable parts, pump=
    > to 240 psi (and that's not a typo), can fully inflate a road tyre in seconds, good for any type
    > of tyre.

    Now that I do know is good because I've been using my Dad's for the=20 past 15 years. I thought they
    were more expensive than that. --=20 ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ben wrote:

    >> Silca Super Pista - £27.95 from www.parker-international.co.uk/accessories.htm
    >>
    >> - Old-fasioned heavy-duty Italian track pump, all replaceable parts, pumps to 240 psi (and that's
    >> not a typo), can fully inflate a road tyre in seconds, good for any type of tyre.
    >
    > Now that I do know is good because I've been using my Dad's for the past 15 years. I thought they
    > were more expensive than that.

    They usually are from other suppliers. You could ask (press) Parker's to order one for you if they
    say they're out of stock, etc.

    ~PB

  12. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >=20
    > >> Silca Super Pista - =A327.95 from www.parker-international.co.uk/accessories.htm
    > >>
    > >> - Old-fasioned heavy-duty Italian track pump, all replaceable parts, pumps to 240 psi (and
    > >> that's not a typo), can fully inflate a road tyre in seconds, good for any type of tyre.
    > >
    > > Now that I do know is good because I've been using my Dad's for the past 15 years. I thought
    > > they were more expensive than that.
    >=20
    > They usually are from other suppliers. You could ask (press) Parker's to order one for you if they
    > say they're out of stock, etc.

    I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow. Also want to know what the=20 difference is between the Silca
    Track Pump @ =A3 22.95 and the Silca=20 Super Pista TP @ =A327.95.

    I'm assuming this Silca has a gauge on it? --=20 ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to
    reply *********

  13. "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I'm after a new track pump. Budget of around 30 quid for it.

    No one has mentioned the blackburn £30 track pump yet. (sp2 sport is the name i think)

    Got one a few weeks ago and would not be without it now.

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow. Also want to know what the difference is between the Silca
    > Track Pump @ £ 22.95 and the Silca Super Pista TP @ £27.95.
    >
    > I'm assuming this Silca has a gauge on it?

    The cheaper Silca has a shorter barrel; can't remember if it has a gauge (the Super Pista does).

    ~PB

  15. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    > > I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow. Also want to know what the difference is between the Silca
    > > Track Pump @ =A3 22.95 and the Silca Super Pista TP @ =A327.95.
    > >
    > > I'm assuming this Silca has a gauge on it?
    >=20
    > The cheaper Silca has a shorter barrel; can't remember if it has a gauge (the Super Pista does).

    Oh cheers, saved me asking Parkers that.

    Looks it's the Super Pista then. --=20 ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  16. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 14:28:25 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Silca Super Pista - £27.95 from

    >Various head options but I think the usual is the type I got with reversable insert (for presta &
    >schraeder).

    What sort of valves do you have ? The Silca is designed for Presta, and it works well enough with
    them. If you're a fat-tuber with Schraders, then it's annoying. If you have both, then change the
    head! (Converting it regularly is _that_ bad).

    I've got a Silca. Great pump, by far the best _pump_ around, but that head is definitely poor.

    I'd look at the Joe Blow too

  17. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2003 14:28:25 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    >=20
    > >Silca Super Pista - =A327.95 from
    >=20
    > >Various head options but I think the usual is the type I got with reversable insert (for presta &
    > >schraeder).=20
    >=20
    > What sort of valves do you have ? The Silca is designed for Presta, and it works well enough with
    > them. If you're a fat-tuber with Schraders, then it's annoying. =20

    I'm a fat-tuber, but an old-school XC one who only runs Presta=20 valves.

    > I'd look at the Joe Blow too

    I did have a look at one in Halfords yesterday. Struck me as a bit=20 cheap and plasticy so I'll be
    going for the Silca because, if it's=20 the same as my Dad has, it's a lot more robust. --=20
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ben wrote: [JoeBlow]
    > I did have a look at one in Halfords yesterday. Struck me as a bit cheap and plasticy so I'll be
    > going for the Silca because, if it's the same as my Dad has, it's a lot more robust.

    I'm intrigued... my JB-Sport is a substantial item in steel, and could be used as a deadly weapon in
    a tight spot. Certainly far, far more substantial and better built than my Zefal Rush.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Ben wrote: [JoeBlow]
    > > I did have a look at one in Halfords yesterday. Struck me as a bit cheap and plasticy so I'll be
    > > going for the Silca because, if it's the same as my Dad has, it's a lot more robust.
    >
    > I'm intrigued... my JB-Sport is a substantial item in steel, and could be used as a deadly weapon
    > in a tight spot. Certainly far, far more substantial and better built than my Zefal Rush.

    ok, comparing the 'robustness' was probably the wrong word. The JB just felt 'cheap' if you know
    what I mean? It didn't give me the impression that it'd still be in my garage in 15 years time which
    is how long my Dad has had his Silca.
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  20. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > ok, comparing the 'robustness' was probably the wrong word. The JB just felt 'cheap' if you know
    > what I mean?

    No, not really, which is why I'm intrigued. Was it actually the yellow "Sport"? Nothing about mine
    suggests it isn't here to stay. Maybe they've respecified it?