Track pump technique

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Adrian Boliston, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. I have recently purchased a blackburn sport tps-2 and it seems quite tricky to get it to inflate in
    a consistent manner.

    There seems to be a fine line between pushing the head too far onto the presta valve, or not
    far enough.

    Sometimes I will plug the head onto the valve and the pressure gague seems to rise too far with each
    pump action, but sometimes it will inflate more consistently with a rise of about 5psi with each
    action, which seems better.

    The other tricky bit seems getting the pump head off the valve without loosing loads of air in the
    process. I'm wondering if I should flick the release lever and pull the head off, or if I should
    simply pull the head off without flicking the lever, but I'm worried I might damage the pump seal if
    I do this, but it's a lot quicker and less air gets lost.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > The other tricky bit seems getting the pump head off the valve without loosing loads of air in the
    > process.

    As long as the valve isn't being pressed down, the big hiss you hear from any track pump is only
    compressed air escaping from the hose. It's not coming from the valve so no air from the tyre is
    being lost.

    I don't know the Blackburn model so can't help with how to use that specifically.

    ~PB

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 23:45:53 +0100, "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sometimes I will plug the head onto the valve and the pressure gague seems to rise too far with
    >each pump action

    This could be because the pump head hasn't engaged properly and so the valve is still closed, when
    that happens you are just pumping air into the hose so it will get real full, real quick :eek:)

    I find with presta valves it helps to just dab them with your finger to release a little air before
    you apply the pump head, helps stop the valve sticking in place. Maybe you could try that?

    Bob

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a blackburn sport tps-2 and it seems quite tricky to get it to inflate
    > in a consistent manner.
    >
    > There seems to be a fine line between pushing the head too far onto the presta valve, or not
    > far enough.
    >
    > Sometimes I will plug the head onto the valve and the pressure gague seems to rise too far with
    > each pump action, but sometimes it will inflate more consistently with a rise of about 5psi with
    > each action, which seems better.
    >
    > The other tricky bit seems getting the pump head off the valve without loosing loads of air in the
    > process. I'm wondering if I should flick the release lever and pull the head off, or if I should
    > simply pull the head off without flicking the lever, but I'm worried I might damage the pump seal
    > if I do this, but it's a lot quicker and less air gets lost.

    You can usually hear the valve opening and closing as you pump (and feel it too). At a certain point
    during the pumping downstroke you feel the built up pressure release as the air goes into the valve.
    Obviously you need to generate a higher pressure outside the tube before the air will go in, and its
    this pressure that ecapes when you pull the head off.
    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have recently purchased a blackburn sport tps-2 and it seems quite
    tricky
    > to get it to inflate in a consistent manner.

    A little bit of spit on the valve helps lubrication. Releasing a little air reduces valve stick.

  6. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>
    > I find with presta valves it helps to just dab them with your finger to release a little air
    > before you apply the pump head, helps stop the valve sticking in place. Maybe you could try that?

    I do that on every type of valve, with the exception of "Woods", not because you can't but because
    luckily you hardly see them anymore. It definitely does away with the initial valve stick and lets
    out that little whiff of pleasant rubbery smelling air (or is that just me :)

    Have fun! (and pass the innertube - sniff, hmm...)

    Graeme

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I find with presta valves it helps to just dab them with your finger to release a little air
    > before you apply the pump head, helps stop the valve sticking in place. Maybe you could try that?

    You should always do this with presta valves, or you might blow the gauge on your track pump.

    --
    Dave...

  8. ChrisW

    ChrisW New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    I hope the other replies have probably answered your question.

    Did your Blackburn pump come with any contact details for the manufacturer? I have a track pump with a broken part in the connector, but I've been unable to find Blackburn on the Web.

    Chris Walker

  9. <snip>
    > Did your Blackburn pump come with any contact details for the manufacturer? I have a track pump
    > with a broken part in the connector, but I've been unable to find Blackburn on the Web.
    </snip>

    Try http://www.blackburndesign.com/

    Regards,

    Pete.

    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly Derby UK

  10. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On 9 Apr 2003 21:30:25 +0950, ChrisW scrawled: ) but I've been unable to find Blackburn on the Web.

    You'd be far more fortunate if you were unable to find it in real life. Believe me: I've
    lived there.

    J-P
    --
    There is no such thing as the State / And no one exists alone; Hunger allows no choice / To the
    citizen or the police; We must love one another and die.