Track Shoes and Pedal's

Brad Wadlow

Nov 15, 2004
Okay, I got my first track bike now I need some shoes and pedal's. What do you recomend and where can I order them? I plan on doing only the sprint/explosive type of races.

Thanx in advance!!

Brad Wadlow said:
Okay, I got my first track bike now I need some shoes and pedal's. What do you recomend and where can I order them? I plan on doing only the sprint/explosive type of races.

Thanx in advance!!
go with the Speedplay Zero Track specials if you can afford them if not check out the MKS range. Shoe wise anything with a superstiff carbon sole I use the Nike Poggio2.:D

superstar kyle said:
go with the Speedplay Zero Track specials if you can afford them if not check out the MKS range. Shoe wise anything with a superstiff carbon sole I use the Nike Poggio2.:D
Hey Superstar Kyle. Thanks for the advice man! Im coming over to track from mountain biking and really didnt have a clue as to peadls and cleats. As soon as I read your post I did a search on e-bay and found a brand new pair of Poggio 2 shoes just my size with 10 minutes left in the auction. I won them for $113 bucks! Pretty good timing wouldnt you say? Thanks Kyle for the advice.

faye04_27 said:
ooo and i use poggio 2's aswell!:D
How do the toe straps work? Is there some kind of cleat that is nessasary? Or can I just get a pair of track pedals with toe straps and slip my Poggio's in there?

Thanks

Brad Wadlow said:
How do the toe straps work? Is there some kind of cleat that is nessasary? Or can I just get a pair of track pedals with toe straps and slip my Poggio's in there?

Thanks

Speedplay Zeroes with a leather/kevlar strap

taras0000 said:
Nice job. What's the Speedplay part number for that screw? :)

Most sprinters use straps. Some with clipless pedals as illustrated here or the older Shimano non SPD road pedals.

Woofer said:
Nice job. What's the Speedplay part number for that screw? :)

Most sprinters use straps. Some with clipless pedals as illustrated here or the older Shimano non SPD road pedals.
Well, the distributor for that one was the local hardware store. Countersunk (conical head)Phillips head machine screw, 16 mm long I believe, with a washer and locknut on the end. Total weight penalty of the bolts over the old stuff was a measly 8 grams. Now looking to manufacture a plate that will allow me to mount a double strap. Not for security reasons, but i like the feeling of your foot not moving around in the shoe.

taras0000 said:
taras, thanks! this answers my question, which I was going to ask.

I alread have the zero steel road pedals, but I will be getting the track version, and adding a strap like you did.

Although I have never pulled out of my speedplay zeros, I still would like the extra confidence of a more secure system during standing starts. The last thing I want to be worrying about is pulling out of the pedal during such an effort!

BTW, do you think it is a bad idea to do standing starts on a road bike? (I don't have a good track bike yet, and my powertap is only on the road bike, so I do most my training on it.) How likely is it that the chain could snap? cause that would be really ugly

velomanct said:
taras, thanks! this answers my question, which I was going to ask.

I alread have the zero steel road pedals, but I will be getting the track version, and adding a strap like you did.

Although I have never pulled out of my speedplay zeros, I still would like the extra confidence of a more secure system during standing starts. The last thing I want to be worrying about is pulling out of the pedal during such an effort!

BTW, do you think it is a bad idea to do standing starts on a road bike? (I don't have a good track bike yet, and my powertap is only on the road bike, so I do most my training on it.) How likely is it that the chain could snap? cause that would be really ugly

I myself have never even pulled out of my Speedplay X pedals. The design is idiot proof, with the zeroes beig even more so. I don't think that you'll pull a pedal with the zeroes unless you end up hitting the release point for clicking out. The strap is there for extra security and the fact that I don't trust having only velcro anchoring you to your bike. If you've ever used a proper toe strap system for sprinting, you'll know that nothing beats the feel of being locked in with straps. Nothing moves around in your shoe, and everything is just that much more direct.

As far as doing standing starts on the road bike, I would stay away from that. I have a Santa Cruz Roadster. Super stiff bike. Always kept it maintained in excellent condition and would bring it into the LBS every month or so just to make sure everything was spic n' span. I was doing standing starts and ended up wrapping my rear derailler around the cogset. The reason being, so much tension ends up going throught the chain, the rear D gets bulled back and then snap, it bends sideways and you have yourself a huge mess. My rear D got bent so far back that the cogs cut grooves in my hanger. I would stick to a single speed for standing starts. Oh, and i'm no meat monster as well, only 170 lbs, so if you're bigger and stronger than me, I would definitley tell you not to do standing starts on your road bike.

taras0000 said:
I myself have never even pulled out of my Speedplay X pedals. The design is idiot proof, with the zeroes beig even more so. I don't think that you'll pull a pedal with the zeroes unless you end up hitting the release point for clicking out. The strap is there for extra security and the fact that I don't trust having only velcro anchoring you to your bike. If you've ever used a proper toe strap system for sprinting, you'll know that nothing beats the feel of being locked in with straps. Nothing moves around in your shoe, and everything is just that much more direct.

As far as doing standing starts on the road bike, I would stay away from that. I have a Santa Cruz Roadster. Super stiff bike. Always kept it maintained in excellent condition and would bring it into the LBS every month or so just to make sure everything was spic n' span. I was doing standing starts and ended up wrapping my rear derailler around the cogset. The reason being, so much tension ends up going throught the chain, the rear D gets bulled back and then snap, it bends sideways and you have yourself a huge mess. My rear D got bent so far back that the cogs cut grooves in my hanger. I would stick to a single speed for standing starts. Oh, and i'm no meat monster as well, only 170 lbs, so if you're bigger and stronger than me, I would definitley tell you not to do standing starts on your road bike.
yeh I can imagine how the straps feel tighter and more secure. I ride shimano shoes, so they are more stiff than most other shoes, but I still get signifcant movement during hill sprints and standing starts.
I suppose the reason not to do standing starts on a roadie is something that happened to me last fall. Although it wasn't even a standing start, just a jump from ~15mph. My back wheel came out of the dropouts and locked up, bending my chainstays apart and taco-ing the wheel. Almost crashed, and I was lucky to be able to ride it home. Since that day I always tighten the QR lever as tight as possible.
I am a not much bigger than you. 6'2" 182lbs, so I am on the skinny side, started weights this winter.

Wow....... I just read the last few posts and it got me to start thinking ....... Modern bikes vs. Vintage bikes . I used to do standing starts with my road bike without any problem ....... I raced on the track and was a very good sprinter...... But when I read how you guys have had problems with standing starts it makes me glad I have kept my old Reynolds 531 road bikes with Campy equipment.......

wolfix said:
Wow....... I just read the last few posts and it got me to start thinking ....... Modern bikes vs. Vintage bikes . I used to do standing starts with my road bike without any problem ....... I raced on the track and was a very good sprinter...... But when I read how you guys have had problems with standing starts it makes me glad I have kept my old Reynolds 531 road bikes with Campy equipment.......

I stick to old school components too. Shimano 8 speed, lol

Hey Taras thats a neat looking strap to go with the BT.Im thinking of putting a strap on my Dura Ace SPD-Rs but havent gotten round to it.Oh BTW all im running Adistar RD Comp shoes with the zipper up the front.Havent used them yet.