Track Standing on a Roadie

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I have seen mountain bikers track stand and it is quite impressive. I am no mountain biker. I ride a road bike and was wondering if this is a skill that roadies can acquire as well. How difficult is it to do? Are there any good links, suggestions, etc. out there on where and how to get started?

Thanks

lohsnest said:
I have seen mountain bikers track stand and it is quite impressive. I am no mountain biker. I ride a road bike and was wondering if this is a skill that roadies can acquire as well. How difficult is it to do? Are there any good links, suggestions, etc. out there on where and how to get started?

Thanks
It's a little more difficult on a road bike than on a mountain bike. But the difference isn't drastic. If you learn on a mountain bike you can easily transfer the skill to a road bike. But if all you have is a road bike, find a good spot where you don't have to worry about cars or pedestrians. There should be a mild rise to the pavement -- even just a slight hump is plenty.

Now ride slowly up to the hump but just slightly to the side. It's usually easiest if you stand, feather the rear brake to a stop and keep a little tension on the brake lever. The key is to keep your center of gravity directly over the center of the bike so that gravity is pulling straight down. Of course if you've ever tried this, you know that the bike will begin to lean one way or the other. This is where the slight tilt in the pavement comes in. For this example, assume that the rise is slightly to the left of the front wheel. Turn the wheel at a substantial angle into the rise. This way you can compensate for the lean of the bike by riding the bike an inch or two, back under your center point. If the bike begins to lean to the left, a little pressure on the pedal, (one pedal should be at about the 1 O'clock position), will cause the front wheel to move to the left, under your weight. If the bike begins to lean to the right, you can decrease pressure on the pedal and the slight rise in the pavement will cause the bike to move slightly backward and to the right, again putting the bike directly under your weight. This works because the front wheel is turned sharply enough to move the bike to the right or left by rolling the front wheel an inch or two through pedal force. Keeping a very light tension on the rear brake keeps things from tilting and changing so quickly.

It will take a few tries before you start to get the feel of it and you may want to practice while not locked into the pedals because you will fall a few times. That's one reason it's best to learn on a mountain bike if possible. You can practice on a softer surface and the wider tires make balancing a little easier.

Anyway, by applying a little pressure to the pedal to shift the bike one direction and reducing that pressure to shift the other direction, it won't be long before you find yourself balancing at intersections so that you don't have to stab for the pedal when the light changes. You'll already be locked in and ready to go. Just remember not to test yourself in traffic before you know you're ready. It's all too easy to get a little cocky and then find yourself sprawled on the pavement from a fall which occurred at a dead stop. It certainly gives motorists something to laugh at.

:)

I know how to do it but I just can't do it well at all. For a few seconds I look OK but after that it starts looking messy. I have a friend who can do it one handed.

Wow, sounds tricky. I'm sure I will fall a few times but just developing the skill will make it worth it...

lohsnest said:

Thanks
dont worry about falling. just practice practice practice. i find it very useful for stoplights - shoot ahead of traffic without clipping in.

Beastt said:
It's a little more difficult on a road bike than on a mountain bike. But the difference isn't drastic. If you learn on a mountain bike you can easily transfer the skill to a road bike. But if all you have is a road bike, find a good spot where you don't have to worry about cars or pedestrians. There should be a mild rise to the pavement -- even just a slight hump is plenty.

Now ride slowly up to the hump but just slightly to the side. It's usually easiest if you stand, feather the rear brake to a stop and keep a little tension on the brake lever. The key is to keep your center of gravity directly over the center of the bike so that gravity is pulling straight down. Of course if you've ever tried this, you know that the bike will begin to lean one way or the other. This is where the slight tilt in the pavement comes in. For this example, assume that the rise is slightly to the left of the front wheel. Turn the wheel at a substantial angle into the rise. This way you can compensate for the lean of the bike by riding the bike an inch or two, back under your center point. If the bike begins to lean to the left, a little pressure on the pedal, (one pedal should be at about the 1 O'clock position), will cause the front wheel to move to the left, under your weight. If the bike begins to lean to the right, you can decrease pressure on the pedal and the slight rise in the pavement will cause the bike to move slightly backward and to the right, again putting the bike directly under your weight. This works because the front wheel is turned sharply enough to move the bike to the right or left by rolling the front wheel an inch or two through pedal force. Keeping a very light tension on the rear brake keeps things from tilting and changing so quickly.

It will take a few tries before you start to get the feel of it and you may want to practice while not locked into the pedals because you will fall a few times. That's one reason it's best to learn on a mountain bike if possible. You can practice on a softer surface and the wider tires make balancing a little easier.

Anyway, by applying a little pressure to the pedal to shift the bike one direction and reducing that pressure to shift the other direction, it won't be long before you find yourself balancing at intersections so that you don't have to stab for the pedal when the light changes. You'll already be locked in and ready to go. Just remember not to test yourself in traffic before you know you're ready. It's all too easy to get a little cocky and then find yourself sprawled on the pavement from a fall which occurred at a dead stop. It certainly gives motorists something to laugh at.

:)
Excellent description, thanks! Have a riding buddy that trackstands often, and you've described exactly what he appears to be doing.

lohsnest said:

Thanks

Beastt nailed the method.

I learned to track stand on a fixed gear bike. This takes the brake component out of it and you can ride the bike backward or forward into the right position under you. Learning on a fixie helped me get a sense of balance and made it much easier to transition to a roadie. Took 3-4 hours practice to get the basic hang of it and be able to do short track stands.

And, uh, obviously, you probably don't want to clip in when you're first learning :)

Thank you to everyone for their responses. I am practicing the various methods I have learned and so hopefully will master this in a few weeks or so...

I think that clipping in will probably be the biggest feat, and in a traffic environment.

lohsnest said:
Thank you to everyone for their responses. I am practicing the various methods I have learned and so hopefully will master this in a few weeks or so...

I think that clipping in will probably be the biggest feat, and in a traffic environment.
I saw another roadie track standing waiting for the green light. He was completely still. My reaction was :eek:

StillRiding5500 said:
I know how to do it but I just can't do it well at all. For a few seconds I look OK but after that it starts looking messy. I have a friend who can do it one handed.
I rememeber seeing one guy on a mountain bike who didn't stand, didn't shift the bike back and forth and just sat there having a conversation. You would have sworn it was done with tiny cables holding him up. Then I watched him ride down a near vertical section of slickrock on just his front wheel. Some people just have amazing skill, ability and confidence. That's not me at all.

Balance is a critical part of safety on a bike - that's why you should practice track stands, riding no-hands and train on rollers, to improve your general bike handling skills.

Once you have mastered the track stand, try doing it whilst staying seated on the bike. It's more difficult, but even cooler again!

Cheers

rollers real helped my balance. I still need more practice before i'll try to track stand in traffic.

Matt N said:
Balance is a critical part of safety on a bike - that's why you should practice track stands, riding no-hands and train on rollers, to improve your general bike handling skills.

Once you have mastered the track stand, try doing it whilst staying seated on the bike. It's more difficult, but even cooler again!

Cheers
Manvell wrote:

rollers real helped my balance. I still need more practice before i'll try to track stand in traffic.

In response to all of your replies, I think I am leaning towards getting rollers. First of all, I am riding on a resistance trainer. I see far more benefit to the rollers simply because I can actually simulate movement. The second reason is for exactly what you mentioned above and what other posters have written...it will help me with balance issues.

Thanks for your reply. I found it most helpful.

lohsnest said:
Manvell wrote:

In response to all of your replies, I think I am leaning towards getting rollers. First of all, I am riding on a resistance trainer. I see far more benefit to the rollers simply because I can actually simulate movement. The second reason is for exactly what you mentioned above and what other posters have written...it will help me with balance issues.

Thanks for your reply. I found it most helpful.
its easier if you try stop holding, feel like your loosing your balance role forward slightly just a touch then commence again. i remember doing this on a BMX as a child and i think the best way i learned was putting the front tyre edge against the corner of the house wall so that i could stand upright and balance away from the wall and lean the tyre back against the wall when i was loosing it.

I recall seeing chris hoy and can't for the life of me think who the other guy was but they where there for ages rocking backwards and forwards and skipping side to side waiting for whome ever to tire and make the first move.

i'm led to believe that this is a race tactic but it was fun to watch.