Track stands and BB loosening

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew Karre, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Andrew Karre

    Andrew Karre Guest

    It seems to me that my 2001 Chorus BB (sealed cart.) works loose fairly frequently (every couple
    weeks). I don't have a torque wrench, so I can't varify that I'm tightening it (and by it, I mean
    the adjustable cup) to spec., but I think I can be sure it isn't too loose after I've put a
    wrench to it.

    The only thing even slightly unusual about my riding is my long (40 miles, rt), stop-light plagued
    commute to work. Necessity has helped me develop a pretty handy trackstand (which I do standing,
    with cranks at 9 and 3 o'clock or 10 and 4, and most of my weight on the front crank) that I use
    regularly, probably for a total of at least a couple minutes every commute (there are a couple of 2
    minute lights). I weigh about 150. It seems to me that a trackstand might subject a BB to an unusual
    type of load that might make the cup creep loose--but I'm no engineer.

    My fixed gear bike never had this problem, but the trackstand is slightly different on it and the BB
    is completely different.

    Anyone experienced anything to support this hypothesis, or should I look elsewhere (inept
    installation, for instance)?

    AK

    Tags:

  2. Erik Brooks

    Erik Brooks Guest

    > The only thing even slightly unusual about my riding is my long (40 miles, rt), stop-light plagued
    > commute to work. Necessity has helped me develop a pretty handy trackstand (which I do standing,
    > with cranks at 9 and 3 o'clock or 10 and 4, and most of my weight on the front crank) that I use
    > regularly, probably for a total of at least a couple minutes every commute (there are a couple of
    > 2 minute lights). I weigh about 150. It seems to me that a trackstand might subject a BB to an
    > unusual type of load that might make the cup creep loose--but I'm no engineer.

    I'm an year-around urban commuter, 173 pounds, and I do a lot of trackstands at lights too. I've
    never had a BB loosen up.

    How about letting your LBS tighten it using a torque wrench?

    Erik

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It seems to me that my 2001 Chorus BB (sealed cart.) works loose fairly frequently (every couple
    > weeks). I don't have a torque wrench, so I can't varify that I'm tightening it (and by it, I mean
    > the adjustable cup) to spec., but I think I can be sure it isn't too loose after I've put a
    > wrench to it.
    >
    > The only thing even slightly unusual about my riding is my long (40 miles, rt), stop-light plagued
    > commute to work. Necessity has helped me develop a pretty handy trackstand (which I do standing,
    > with cranks at 9 and 3 o'clock or 10 and 4, and most of my weight on the front crank) that I use
    > regularly, probably for a total of at least a couple minutes every commute (there are a couple of
    > 2 minute lights). I weigh about 150. It seems to me that a trackstand might subject a BB to an
    > unusual type of load that might make the cup creep loose--but I'm no engineer.
    >
    > My fixed gear bike never had this problem, but the trackstand is slightly different on it and the
    > BB is completely different.
    >
    > Anyone experienced anything to support this hypothesis, or should I look elsewhere (inept
    > installation, for instance)?
    >
    > AK

    You riding an Italian BB?

    Mike

  4. On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:17:41 +0000, Andrew Karre wrote:

    > It seems to me that my 2001 Chorus BB (sealed cart.) works loose fairly frequently (every
    > couple weeks).

    > The only thing even slightly unusual about my riding is my long (40 miles, rt), stop-light plagued
    > commute to work. Necessity has helped me develop a pretty handy trackstand

    I don't think it's the trackstands. There is a theory about splined bottom-brackets and crank
    loosening depending on your downhilling style, but this is different.

    Your backwards pedalling on a free-wheel bike is insignificant. Nothing else about that will loosen
    the cups. I would look to the threads (it is the right cup that loosens? If the left, then maybe if
    it's Italian threads you might want to locktite it. But not the right) to see if they are clean. Be
    sure to use antiseize or teflon tape when installing.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
    philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
    --The Dalai Lama

  5. andrew-<< It seems to me that my 2001 Chorus BB (sealed cart.) works loose fairly frequently (every
    couple weeks). I don't have a torque wrench, so I can't varify that I'm tightening it (and by it, I
    mean the adjustable cup) to spec., >><BR><BR> << The only thing even slightly unusual about my
    riding is my long (40 miles, rt), stop-light plagued commute to work. Necessity has helped me
    develop a pretty handy trackstand >><BR><BR> << Anyone experienced anything to support this
    hypothesis, or should I look elsewhere (inept installation, for instance)? >><BR><BR>

    Installation on a non-prepped BB shell. Face the BB shell, grease everywhere and use teflon tape on
    the threads and tighten with a tool that holds the cup well, like the TACX one.