track stands and bottom brackets

Trigurl

Jul 29, 2003
My bottom bracket makes a lot of cracking noises even though its been faced and all that, and it's been maybe 3 months since I last had it taken apart and cleaned.

The noises are only heard when I'm climbing and standing in the pedals. I can't reproduce the noise by torquing the handlebars so I know its not the headset.

I do track stands at stoplights and I notice the noise every once in awhile. My coach thinks track stands are silly and he said that doing those is probably what's wearing out my BB because it puts so much pressure on that area. This seems like a silly way to just get me to stop doing it. Is he right?

And any other suggestions about the noise?

Trigurl said:
My bottom bracket makes a lot of cracking noises even though its been faced and all that, and it's been maybe 3 months since I last had it taken apart and cleaned.

The noises are only heard when I'm climbing and standing in the pedals. I can't reproduce the noise by torquing the handlebars so I know its not the headset.

I do track stands at stoplights and I notice the noise every once in awhile. My coach thinks track stands are silly and he said that doing those is probably what's wearing out my BB because it puts so much pressure on that area. This seems like a silly way to just get me to stop doing it. Is he right?

And any other suggestions about the noise?

Get a new coach... A nicely balanced track stand puts very little strain on anything. He probably thinks track stands are silly because he can't do them himself... As to the noise, if you've tried all the obvious stuff, then try another BB. I've got one that's been creaky since day one. It's been fitted to two different frames, and stripped and rebuilt several times in each, and it still creaks. One day I'll get round to changing it.

Eastway82 said:
Get a new coach... A nicely balanced track stand puts very little strain on anything. He probably thinks track stands are silly because he can't do them himself... As to the noise, if you've tried all the obvious stuff, then try another BB. I've got one that's been creaky since day one. It's been fitted to two different frames, and stripped and rebuilt several times in each, and it still creaks. One day I'll get round to changing it.

I am over 90kg and I trackstand (or try to :) ) and it's never caused aproblem with the BB.
Locktite?

Cheers

Geoff

Your coach is a ******. I just hope he knows more about coaching than he does about bikes. Coppercoat or never-seize are the go for bottom brackets…. Go baby.

That sound is probably just grime or moisture in the bottom bracket.
Just pull it out, clean it, and put it back in.

I had the same problem on my fixie when I would do a track stand.

Sometimes it is the crankarm to BB spindle interface that is the source of squeaks but more typically creaks and clicking are the sounds.

The "older" Shimano 8 spline interface was notoriously creaky. The fix was to apply a very light coat of high pressure grease to the interface, then torque to spec.

I hope you track the noise down....that kind of stuff drives me mad.