Track Training + Weight Lifting Split Advice

FujiTrackGGP

Jul 16, 2013
Hi All - I am an extremely novice non-competitive track bike junkie that was hoping for training advice or someone who could point me in the right direction for more resources. I am sorry if this is the wrong forum as I wasn't sure if I should post this in Cycling Training or Track but hoped there'd be some that were more dialed to sprinter training methodology here..

Over the last year I've shifted my cycling focus entirely toward sprint efforts on a fixed gear bike to preserve & enhance lean mass. I love the high of biking as well as the overall cardiovascular physicality of it, and didn't want to give it up but also wanted to stay focused within a discipline that would be compatible with bodybuilding/powerlifting (another long-time passion of mine). I figured track sprinting would be a great fit and was right - My widdled thighs (probably from road riding) went from 24" to close to 27" in about 12 months and I've felt more physically fit, leaner, more vascular and healthier than I ever have before (maintained about 190 lbs. bodyweight @ 5'8")

Anyway, I've been more or less shooting from the hip training-wise.. but wanted to throw my split out there for some feedback from anyone who might have some good insights. I know pro track guys can still make progression with the iron even with lots of bike riding (i.e. can squat 400+ / push leg press sled 1000+ lbs.) - so I'm curious if anyone knows the typical weightlifting frequency / volume to augment sprint training. I've read online that the biggest most powerful guys usually do 2 or so weight sessions a week and then sport-specific training surrounding that, but there doesn't seem to be much documentation out there about weight lifting to support training other than "do a few hack squats etc." Again my goals are not to be competitive but to continue to add mass, get infinitely strong on deadlift/squat/leg-press, stay lean & keep biking in my life

This is what I'm currently doing:

Sa - Bike Double (Track [Track Sprint Intervals - Fixed Gear] Morning / Fun Road Ride Afternoon)
Sun - Rest / Off or light Fun Road Ride
Mon - Squat, Leg Press, Romanian DL, Bench, Bent-Over Row
Tues - Rest / Off
Wed - Squat, Leg Press, Romanian DL, Bi Curl/Tri Press, Bike [Track Sprints Intervals - Road-Bike w/ various Gearings]
Thu - Rest / Off
Fri - Squat, Leg Press, Romanian DL, Shoulder Press, Pull-Downs

I do 8-10 weeks of progression (increasing weight [iron], increasing effort [bike] intensity / duration and/or gear) then 2 weeks completely off & repeat (starting low but ending higher than previous periodization). For each exercise on a gym day I do 1 set rest-paused

How do pro's get to massive poundages and still incorporate a lot of bike training? Do they just do off-season weight lifting primarily then weaken once they go into training season on the track? Do they use a blend all-year round? I find it extremely difficult to progress weight-wise if I keep biking (even though I'm just doing high torque / HP sprinting) ... Would I potentially gain more strength lifting less frequently (Even though my overall volume is so low)?

Thanks for any help in advance

First off, why the two weeks off? It would make more sense doing 4-5 weeks of progression, followed by 1 off week (and are we talking about doing absolutely nothing or simply a deloading period? I think a deloading period would be better, replacing it with an off week every once and a while).

But to answer you're question: you have to eat a lot and sleep a lot. Most guys who have a ton of volume in their workloads usually eat a good 3000-5000 calories a day. I know Shane Perkins (not sure if he is considered elite, but I imagine he's pretty close) supposedly eats 5000cals a day (source). Another example that comes to mind is Arthur Saxon. Back in the day he and his brothers would train everyday and then eat ungodly amounts of meat and sugar. In fact they did so much of both that that's really all they had the time to do. This article goes into much more depth about, interesting read.

So if you're looking to increase volume then I would slowly increase your calorie intake by 500cal, more or less. Obviously you should closely monitor your weight to make sure you're not putting too much fat on, but I really think that's the best way to improving your gains... well that and steroids.

Reactions: johnsmith789
Wonderful suggestions. I just started taking part in bicycle races on weekends. I just register for a race and I am taking training from running club solutions where I am getting a good training and tips. Your tips very helpful for beginners.

How many more World Titles does Shane Perkins have to win to be considered Elite?

Quote: Originally Posted by fergie .
How many more World Titles does Shane Perkins have to win to be considered Elite?

At least three ;-)

As for the OP's question: two days per week in the gym should be sufficient. I focus exclusively on sprints and work with Xavier Disley (www.rstsport.com) and he and Ric have a good conception of how you should split it up. If you're not competitive then you're unlikely to want a coach, but typically I'm in the gym just twice a week, going heavy one day. Your movements look right on, but there's probably little need for the upper body stuff unless you're just trying to keep some mass up there.

Hey thanks for the response mate - I just realized I didn't close loop on this so figured I'd post up on some progress here. So on the advice of Zepp and some other training progression articles I've read I've switched to a 4-5 week progression / 1 week strategic Deload (for both bike intensity as well as weight intensity). As for modifying my gym work - This article was a game changer for me (thanks Paul if you're out there!) and I highly recommend it:

http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/train_paulrogers.pdf

My big "A-Ha" was that I could still do progressive weight training alongside the biking but that by focusing on unilateral exercises (single-leg work) I could get potentially more "sport-specific carryover" as well as based on what I've experienced, less overtraining fatigue than I was with bi-lateral exercises (read as: squat, deadlift, romanian deadlift) training @ high frequency. I still deadlift here and there as you really can't beat that exercise, but bread and butter these days for size and strength are now single-leg based lifts. Hope this is helpful & speed safe everyone!

I've trained over and over again on the track and I've done a lot of leg weightlifting. Leg weightlifting is very formidable but at the end of the day yet the make sure that you don't overtax yourself. I've overtaxed myself a few times and I've ended up in a very negative situations. At one point I hurt my legs so bad that I couldn't walk for a day.

Your trainning program is looking good. I am no expert by any means, but what I'm doing recently isn't even half as good as yours since I'm recovering from an injury.

Doing other exercises besides cycling help a lot in increasing the stamina and strengthening muscles. I've also scheduled my week with a lot of other exercise, including running, push-ups, squat, crunches and sometimes lifting weight. All of these exercises helped me in gaining the strength. The best advice that I can give you is to focus on your fitness level and try to follow a customized workout plan while taking healthy diet.