Track Wheel question

Rob

Guest
I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
axel
are they hard to change ?

Thanks
Rob Wille

our track wont allow q.r. leavers at all
"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels

really..can
> one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
> axel
> are they hard to change ?
>
> Thanks
> Rob Wille

So "Rob" <[email protected]> says:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
>one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
>axel
> are they hard to change ?

Too much bumping and grinding on the track. Use bolted axles. Easy to
swap 'em.

jeffb

Rob-<< can
one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
axel
are they hard to change ? >><BR><BR>

Not hard to change and if the track is managed at all, they will not allow QR
on wheels.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Sunt superis sua jura." - Ovid
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:34:12 GMT, "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
>one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
>axel

As a safety precaution, quick-release skewers) are generally
proscribed by rule from track racing. Current USCF rules allow
exception for non-championship individual pursuit and timetrial
events.

> are they hard to change ?

This will vary depending upon the model and maker of the hub. You'll
need to provide those particulars to answer your question.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

Rob wrote:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
> one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
> axel....

I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure skater.

My bikes and trikes have axles.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> Rob wrote:
>
> > I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels

really..can
> > one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type

of
> > axel....

> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure skater.
>
> My bikes and trikes have axles.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did it end there ??),
and can **** on the unsuspecting.
Hurrah !
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

Sandy Leurre writes:

>>> I have a question about track Disk Wheels... or any track wheels
>>> really..can one use a quick release on the track? or must in be
>>> bolt and nut type of axel...

>> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure skater.

>> My bikes and trikes have axles.

> Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did it end there
> ??), and can **** on the unsuspecting. Hurrah !

Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

> Rob wrote:
>
> > I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
> > one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
> > axel....

> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure skater.
>
> My bikes and trikes have axles.

And Axl is the singer for Guns 'n' Roses. Neener neener neener!

Jeff

So [email protected] says:

>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
>our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
>For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.

I always wondered for who it did toll for.....

Um, wanna play Nintendo?

jeffb

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:zx%[email protected]...
> Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
> our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
> For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.
>
> Jobst Brandt

A test, right Mr Brandt ?? While anodizing aluminum alloys on rims may be
heresy to you, undermining the proper case of pronouns following
prepositions, and abominating the reflective context of John Donne's phrase
tweaks my spokes !

Happy Easter.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

[email protected] wrote:

>>> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure skater.

>>> My bikes and trikes have axles.

>> Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did it end there
>> ??), and can **** on the unsuspecting. Hurrah !

>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
>our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
>For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.

Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame for any
education ills in the US. Think he knows that Bush has dramatically
increased spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
realistic method for improving public education in decades?

Probably not.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:

> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame for any
> education ills in the US. Think he knows that Bush has dramatically
> increased spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
> realistic method for improving public education in decades?

Good grief. What planet are the Bushites living on, anyway? The Bush
education "plan" has damaged education in Minnesota drastically, to
the point that the state is debating opting out and foregoing all
federal monies for education because the Bush plan is another unfunded
federal mandate and costs us more than it provides. "No child left
behind" apparently only applies to the children of the suburbs and
denies adequate funding (yet again) for special education.

It's always hilarious to see Republican plans like this that violate
their own professed values. "Local control" and "states' rights" was
the cry of the Republicans just a few short years ago, but now we see
the true colors of the conservatives in power: fascism creeping under
the cover of "moral values." The Bush administration, with the help
of its cronies in the Legistative and Judicial branches, is creating
themost intrusive and draconian government in the history of the
United States and yoking the population into servitude for decades to
come by destroying any semblence of rationality in fiscal policy.

One score and four years ago, our fathers brought forth on this
continent a revised nation, conceived in profitability and dedicated
to the proposition that all wealth should rise upwards. We are now
engaged in great social engineering, testing whether any nation so
conceived and so dedicated can be permanently mired in conservative
ideology. The world will little note what we do under cover of
secrecy, but it will not be able to stop what we set in motion. For
the government of the people, by the people, for the people shall be
replaced by a conservative autocracy that holds itself above
accountability to the people. Welcome to the American Taliban.

Bumper sticker of the week: Bush/Cheney 1984: War is Peace.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:23:48 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

>>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
>>our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
>>For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.

> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame for any
> education ills in the US.

Well, Mark, actually Jobst was talking about the administration's own
misuse of the language -- by the head of that administration.

> Think he knows that Bush has dramatically
> increased spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
> realistic method for improving public education in decades?
>
> Probably not.

Well, I don't know that, either. If you will check, you will see that
most of the "no child left..." program is not funded by the federal
government. It is mandated by them (and the Republicans used to rail
against unfunded mandates!), but the funding is mostly left up to the
states.

It is also highly questionable whether it will improve education at all.
Taking more tests, which is the usual effect of the program, is not more
education, but less. Teaching to the test, which is the local school
districts' usual response, is not better education, but worse.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Jeff Wills wrote:

> And Axl is the singer for Guns 'n' Roses. Neener neener neener!

Axl Rose is an anagram of Oral Sex. I don't think it's his real name.

Rob wrote:
> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track wheels really..can
> one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
> axel
> are they hard to change ?

Racing rules may require solid axles but technically there
is no difference. My own fixed wheel with a vintage Simplex
Q/R assembly has been no trouble at all for many years.
Most hub axles may be easily exchanged from solid to QR or
the reverse, but there are various brand-specific issues in
some cases. What hub do you have?

One suggestion is to carry a trackie's wrench:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/PNUTWNCH.JPG
Otherwise known as a 'peanut butter wrench'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:23:48 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati to emulate
>>>our nucular government and all its bad manners and lack of edjumacation.
>>>For who the bell tolls! as they now say in the USA.

>> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame for any
>> education ills in the US.

>Well, Mark, actually Jobst was talking about the administration's own
>misuse of the language -- by the head of that administration.

The "illiterati" term was what I keyed in on. If he considers a
Bachelor's degree in history from Yale and an MBA from Harvard "a lack
of edjumacation", Mr. Jobst must have some truly outstanding
educational credentials!

>> Think he knows that Bush has dramatically
>> increased spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
>> realistic method for improving public education in decades?
>>
>> Probably not.

>Well, I don't know that, either. If you will check, you will see that
>most of the "no child left..." program is not funded by the federal
>government. It is mandated by them (and the Republicans used to rail
>against unfunded mandates!), but the funding is mostly left up to the
>states.
>
>It is also highly questionable whether it will improve education at all.
>Taking more tests, which is the usual effect of the program, is not more
>education, but less. Teaching to the test, which is the local school
>districts' usual response, is not better education, but worse.

I wish I knew a better way to hold the schools accountable for results
- I'd support it in a heartbeat. But the testing that goes on isn't
something that SHOULD take "special classes" to pass. If the schools
produce kids with even remotely adequate reading, writing, math and
logic skills they'll do fine. If they're turning out students that
require special classes to pass the test, the problem isn't the test,
IMHO.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

A Muzi wrote:

> One suggestion is to carry a trackie's wrench:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/PNUTWNCH.JPG
> Otherwise known as a 'peanut butter wrench'.

These also work well for the nutted axles found on SRAM/Sachs internally
geared and internal/cassette (3x7/8/9) hubs.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Rob-<< can
> one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of
> axel
> are they hard to change ? >><BR><BR>
>
> Not hard to change and if the track is managed at all, they will not allow QR
> on wheels.

Worse yet, some tracks even allow recumbents at times. ;)

>From: Mark Hickey

> But the testing that goes on isn't
>something that SHOULD take "special classes" to pass. If the schools
>produce kids with even remotely adequate reading, writing, math and
>logic skills they'll do fine. If they're turning out students that
>require special classes to pass the test, the problem isn't the test,
>IMHO.

Certainly the tests could be the problem. It's not hard to make a bad test. The
early US Army IQ tests were eventually seen to be defective. Even the vaunted
SAT test has been discredited to the point where it has lost much of its power.

That said, I tutored for 4th grade here in Texas, using old TAAS/TAKS tests as
"practice" material. My field was reading. I overheard math tutoring going on.
The reading stuff I saw was great. A short article or story, multiple choice
questions followed. The tests tapped into the great pool of shared knowledge,
and if one has little experience in our culture, the questions came exactly
from the material presented. IOW, the questions could be answered "rote", by
changing word order and filling in the blanks. This material could be used for
instruction-- Carniverous Plants, William Tell selections come to mind. Same
for the math tutors, they were doing basic operations with smaller numbers,
ordinary grade-level ASMD. Not stuff off the moon as some would have us
believe. "Teaching to a test" IMHO is mostly a cop-out.

It cannot be ignored, however, that some amount of the push for increased
testing comes from those who wish to discredit public schools in order to
"break up their monopoly", which can be read "stop paying the taxes that
support them", and/or "profit from privatizing them". Like the USPS, some see
America's public school system as a plum to be picked, and they are not
particular as to method.
--TP