Track Wheel question

Rob

Guest
I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track
wheels really..can one use a quick release on the track
? or must in be bolt and nut type of axel are they hard
to change ?

Thanks Rob Wille

our track wont allow q.r. leavers at all
"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any
> track wheels
really..can
> one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be bolt
> and nut type of axel are they hard to change ?
>
> Thanks Rob Wille

So "Rob" <[email protected]> says:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track
> wheels really..can one use a quick release on the track ?
> or must in be bolt and nut type of axel are they hard to
> change ?

Too much bumping and grinding on the track. Use bolted
axles. Easy to swap 'em.

jeffb

Rob-<< can one use a quick release on the track ? or must in
be bolt and nut type of axel are they hard to change ?
>><BR><BR>

Not hard to change and if the track is managed at all, they
will not allow QR on wheels.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Sunt superis sua jura." - Ovid
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:34:12 GMT, "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track
> wheels really..can one use a quick release on the track ?
> or must in be bolt and nut type of axel

As a safety precaution, quick-release skewers) are generally
proscribed by rule from track racing. Current USCF rules
allow exception for non-championship individual pursuit and
timetrial events.

> are they hard to change ?

This will vary depending upon the model and maker of the
hub. You'll need to provide those particulars to answer
your question.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

Rob wrote:

> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track
> wheels really..can one use a quick release on the track ?
> or must in be bolt and nut type of axel....

I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure
skater.

My bikes and trikes have axles.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> Rob wrote:
>
> > I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any
> > track wheels
really..can
> > one use a quick release on the track ? or must in be
> > bolt and nut type
of
> > axel....
>
> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a
> figure skater.
>
> My bikes and trikes have axles.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did it
end there ??), and can **** on the unsuspecting. Hurrah !
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

Sandy Leurre writes:

>>> I have a question about track Disk Wheels... or any
>>> track wheels really..can one use a quick release on the
>>> track? or must in be bolt and nut type of axel...

>> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure
>> skater.

>> My bikes and trikes have axles.

> Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did it
> end there ??), and can **** on the unsuspecting. Hurrah !

Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati
to emulate our nucular government and all its bad manners
and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell tolls! as they
now say in the USA.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

> Rob wrote:
>
> > I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any
> > track wheels really..can one use a quick release on the
> > track ? or must in be bolt and nut type of axel....
>
> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a
> figure skater.
>
> My bikes and trikes have axles.

And Axl is the singer for Guns 'n' Roses. Neener
neener neener!

Jeff

So [email protected] says:

>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati
>to emulate our nucular government and all its bad manners
>and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell tolls! as they
>now say in the USA.

I always wondered for who it did toll for.....

Um, wanna play Nintendo?

jeffb

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:zx%[email protected]...
> Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati
> to emulate our nucular government and all its bad manners
> and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell tolls! as they
> now say in the USA.
>
> Jobst Brandt

A test, right Mr Brandt ?? While anodizing aluminum alloys
on rims may be heresy to you, undermining the proper case of
pronouns following prepositions, and abominating the
reflective context of John Donne's phrase tweaks my spokes !

Happy Easter.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

[email protected] wrote:

>>> I though an axel was a maneuver performed by a figure
>>> skater.
>
>>> My bikes and trikes have axles.
>
>> Great way to prove you passed sixth grade spelling (did
>> it end there ??), and can **** on the unsuspecting.
>> Hurrah !
>
>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati
>to emulate our nucular government and all its bad manners
>and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell tolls! as they
>now say in the USA.

Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame for
any education ills in the US. Think he knows that Bush has
dramatically increased spending for education, and that he's
instituted the only realistic method for improving public
education in decades?

Probably not.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:

> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame
> for any education ills in the US. Think he knows that Bush
> has dramatically increased spending for education, and
> that he's instituted the only realistic method for
> improving public education in decades?

Good grief. What planet are the Bushites living on, anyway?
The Bush education "plan" has damaged education in Minnesota
drastically, to the point that the state is debating opting
out and foregoing all federal monies for education because
the Bush plan is another unfunded federal mandate and costs
us more than it provides. "No child left behind" apparently
only applies to the children of the suburbs and denies
adequate funding (yet again) for special education.

It's always hilarious to see Republican plans like this that
violate their own professed values. "Local control" and
"states' rights" was the cry of the Republicans just a few
short years ago, but now we see the true colors of the
conservatives in power: fascism creeping under the cover of
"moral values." The Bush administration, with the help of
its cronies in the Legistative and Judicial branches, is
creating themost intrusive and draconian government in the
history of the United States and yoking the population into
servitude for decades to come by destroying any semblence of
rationality in fiscal policy.

One score and four years ago, our fathers brought forth on
this continent a revised nation, conceived in profitability
and dedicated to the proposition that all wealth should rise
upwards. We are now engaged in great social engineering,
testing whether any nation so conceived and so dedicated can
be permanently mired in conservative ideology. The world
will little note what we do under cover of secrecy, but it
will not be able to stop what we set in motion. For the
government of the people, by the people, for the people
shall be replaced by a conservative autocracy that holds
itself above accountability to the people. Welcome to the
American Taliban.

Bumper sticker of the week: Bush/Cheney 1984: War is Peace.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:23:48 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

>>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the illiterati
>>to emulate our nucular government and all its bad manners
>>and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell tolls! as they
>>now say in the USA.
>
> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame
> for any education ills in the US.

Well, Mark, actually Jobst was talking about the
administration's own misuse of the language -- by the head
of that administration.

> Think he knows that Bush has dramatically increased
> spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
> realistic method for improving public education in
> decades?
>
> Probably not.

Well, I don't know that, either. If you will check, you will
see that most of the "no child left..." program is not
funded by the federal government. It is mandated by them
(and the Republicans used to rail against unfunded
mandates!), but the funding is mostly left up to the states.

It is also highly questionable whether it will improve
education at all. Taking more tests, which is the usual
effect of the program, is not more education, but less.
Teaching to the test, which is the local school districts'
usual response, is not better education, but worse.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them,
what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner
of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up
to take our places. Even Nazis can't kill that fast. --
Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Rob wrote:
> I have a question about track Disk Wheels...or any track
> wheels really..can one use a quick release on the track ?
> or must in be bolt and nut type of axel are they hard to
> change ?

Racing rules may require solid axles but technically there
is no difference. My own fixed wheel with a vintage Simplex
Q/R assembly has been no trouble at all for many years. Most
hub axles may be easily exchanged from solid to QR or the
reverse, but there are various brand-specific issues in
some cases. What hub do you have?

One suggestion is to carry a trackie's wrench:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/PNUTWNCH.JPG Otherwise known as
a 'peanut butter wrench'.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:23:48 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>>>Oh great! Let's get out there and encourage the
>>>illiterati to emulate our nucular government and all its
>>>bad manners and lack of edjumacation. For who the bell
>>>tolls! as they now say in the USA.
>>
>> Oops. Seems Jobst thinks the Bush government is to blame
>> for any education ills in the US.
>
>Well, Mark, actually Jobst was talking about the
>administration's own misuse of the language -- by the head
>of that administration.

The "illiterati" term was what I keyed in on. If he
considers a Bachelor's degree in history from Yale and an
MBA from Harvard "a lack of edjumacation", Mr. Jobst must
have some truly outstanding educational credentials!

>> Think he knows that Bush has dramatically increased
>> spending for education, and that he's instituted the only
>> realistic method for improving public education in
>> decades?
>>
>> Probably not.
>
>Well, I don't know that, either. If you will check,
>you will see that most of the "no child left..."
>program is not funded by the federal government. It is
>mandated by them (and the Republicans used to rail
>against unfunded mandates!), but the funding is mostly
>left up to the states.
>
>It is also highly questionable whether it will improve
>education at all. Taking more tests, which is the usual
>effect of the program, is not more education, but less.
>Teaching to the test, which is the local school districts'
>usual response, is not better education, but worse.

I wish I knew a better way to hold the schools accountable
for results
- I'd support it in a heartbeat. But the testing that goes
on isn't something that SHOULD take "special classes" to
pass. If the schools produce kids with even remotely
adequate reading, writing, math and logic skills they'll
do fine. If they're turning out students that require
special classes to pass the test, the problem isn't the
test, IMHO.

A Muzi wrote:

> ... One suggestion is to carry a trackie's wrench:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/PNUTWNCH.JPG Otherwise known
> as a 'peanut butter wrench'.

These also work well for the nutted axles found on
SRAM/Sachs internally geared and internal/cassette
(3x7/8/9) hubs.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Rob-<< can one use a quick release on the track ? or must
> in be bolt and nut type of axel are they hard to change ?
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Not hard to change and if the track is managed at all,
> they will not allow QR on wheels.

Worse yet, some tracks even allow recumbents at times. ;)

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:09:29 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

>Still, Mr. Bush does not show much of that Ivy-league
>education in his speeches. Every time he says the word
>"nucular", it's like fingernails on the blackboard to me.

I think he picked that up from Jimmy Carter (who was a
nuclear engineer I believe). Must be a southern thing.

>> I wish I knew a better way to hold the schools
>> accountable for results - I'd support it in a heartbeat.
>
>So would I. But that does not, in my mind, justify the
>current program.

I have yet to hear a better option though.

>> But the testing that goes on isn't something that SHOULD
>> take "special classes" to pass. If the schools produce
>> kids with even remotely adequate reading, writing, math
>> and logic skills they'll do fine. If they're turning out
>> students that require special classes to pass the test,
>> the problem isn't the test, IMHO.
>
>Agreed, but neither is the test the solution. Problem is,
>that is essentially all that is offered under the "no
>child" program. Maybe my old-fashioned New-Deal liberalism
>is showing through here, but somehow, if a school shows
>poor student performance, cutting the funding to that
>school would not seem to be the way to improve that
>performance.
>
>I have seen the difference in performance of schools in
>Philadelphia, compared to the outlying suburbs. There are
>buckets of money going into the Philadelphia school system,
>so it would seem, but I never have been able to find out
>the difference in $/student between the systems. I do see
>that the Philly schools look like ****, and they use hand-me-
>down books and ancient computers. Suburban schools have all
>the latest. Either Philly schools don't get the funding the
>suburban schools do, or it is siphoned off before it gets
>to the kids.

The Washington DC schools have one of the highest (maybe it
is the highest) $ per student ratio in the country - and
among the worst results. I think it's pretty clear that the
problem really isn't just money - there'd be some sort of
correlation if that was the case, and fixing the problem
would be simple if it were just a matter of spending more.

>Sure, some of it is discipline and all the other problems
>in big-city schools. But I suspect a lot is also plain old
>graft. To think that cutting funding will help is naive.
>The "privatization" that has happened here has also been
>merely a way to re-channel the flow of money, but not to
>the students.

If the funds cut from the school go to support other private
schools in the area, that can work out. Like most other
industries, the government has trouble performing at
anything near the level of a private entity, and I've done a
lot of work with youth, and you can pick out the home
schoolers a mile away. There are viable options to public
schools and I'd say if they work better in a given city -
they should be given the chance to take up the slack.

>To test the teachers and fire those who can't pass seems
>like a good solution, but only if there are other, better-
>qualified teachers ready to step in. There is no long line
>of prospective teachers trying to get into the Philadelphia
>school system.

My hat's off to anyone who wants to teach in an urban
environment (my sister did that for a while). But good
intentions (or maybe "just a pulse") aren't enough - they've
gotta be good at what they do.

>No, I do not know the solution to the problems. But that
>does not suggest to me that I should support a clearly
>shortsighted program aimed more at garnering votes than
>improving schools.

I'd be willing to support a better plan - there simply isn't
one (that I've seen at least). It's clear that without
accountability, our schools are going to continue to
horribly fail our kids - to me, that's entirely
unacceptable. At least the NCLB program brings some
accountability to schools so maybe some day we don't have to
hear about half or more of a "graduating class" not being
functionally literate.