Track Wheels - Machine or Handbuilt

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a track bike for endurance events (points, scratch, possibly madison and pursuits). I'm fairly comfortable with picking between most parts and selecting gears, but I'm not sure which way to go wheel wise. Can someone fill me in on the costs and benefits of machine vs handbuilt wheels for track? For road I ride heavy handbuilts exclusively in training for their durability and machine built exclusively racing for their high performance and low weight at a decent price. I'm looking to use the wheels exclusively on the track so they shouldn't be taking too many hits, but they need to stiff, fast and aerodynamic (weight seems to be secondary on the track - would you agree?)

The wheels I have been offered are:

Mavic Ellipse Wheelset

or

Phil Wood High Flange Track Hubs
with Double butted Spokes
and CXP 33 Rims

It seems to me the second option is better - what do you all think? I've heard mixed reviews on the CXP33's. Have people had good experiences with these or is there a similarly priced rim (preferably deep) that someone can recommend? Or should I just get the Ellipse wheelset?

Cheers,

Roadie - soon to be trackie!

I haven't looked but are 404's close to the same as the cost of wheels with Phil hubs? Or get a 404/808 in the front with a Suzae or Surly rear. I would venture that at least half of the people out there are riding wheels fresh from EBay. Try something for a while, then you'll find something else that you like later.

I like Velocity Deeps but I wish they had eyelets.