Track Work with wind

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Teresa Plymate, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Hi All, gotta question for all you speed-working types.

    Yesterday I was out enjoying my track work (?) at the local Jr High. There was a stiff wind blowing
    from the west, which had me running the backstretch with a strong headwind. Is there any preference
    for which part to run with a headwind, and which a tailwind? I was doing 220s and 440s. I could have
    gone to the other side and had the whole backstretch as a tailwind, but I figured it really didn't
    matter. But thought I'd ask, in case there's some factor I hadn't thought of.

    Thanks!

    Teresa in AZ

    Tags:

  2. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (Teresa Plymate) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All, gotta question for all you speed-working types.
    >
    > Yesterday I was out enjoying my track work (?) at the local Jr High. There was a stiff wind
    > blowing from the west, which had me running the backstretch with a strong headwind. Is there any
    > preference for which part to run with a headwind, and which a tailwind? I was doing 220s and 440s.
    > I could have gone to the other side and had the whole backstretch as a tailwind, but I figured it
    > really didn't matter. But thought I'd ask, in case there's some factor I hadn't thought of.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Teresa in AZ

    You run the conditions you are presented with, as long as you won't get struck by lightning or some
    similar such life threathening condition.

    You can't control the conditions of any given race, therefore you should be prepared for whatever
    may occur. Training in the wind will give you an advantage when you race in the wind.

    A suggestion though, it is usually more windy in the afternoon than in the morning. Try doing speed
    work in the morning.

    Andy