trackstand

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    How do you do it? Sometimes I can maintain upright while being almost motionless (muscle twitching
    to compensate) on my MTB... maybe a little less on my road bike. Is it simply getting out of the
    saddle and shifting weight to keep balance? Occasional forward pedaling/braking-backwards kinda
    stuff? Kinda like oscillating to get an average center position?

    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Phil) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > How do you do it? Sometimes I can maintain upright while being almost motionless (muscle twitching
    > to compensate) on my MTB... maybe a little less on my road bike.

    Most roads tilt slightly from the center to the edge. Aim your front wheel uphill and pedal
    slightly. Back pedal and brake a little and roll back slowly. Repeat.

  3. Stu

    Stu Guest

    l would think that it is a little easier on a track bike with no freewheel more practice is what you
    need and like the last post said point your bike uphill

  4. Dansmeyers

    Dansmeyers Guest

    If you do a Google search you'll find some good sites. I did earlier this winter to learn
    how myself.

    Dan

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do you do it? Sometimes I can maintain upright while being almost motionless (muscle twitching
    > to compensate) on my MTB... maybe a little less on my road bike. Is it simply getting out of the
    > saddle and shifting weight to keep balance? Occasional forward pedaling/braking-backwards kinda
    > stuff? Kinda like oscillating to get an average center position?
    >
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    To add to the others fine comments, it's also kind of a 'zen' thing. If you think about it too much
    it is more difficult to do. My friend rode up to me once and stopped to talk. Nearly a minute of
    conversation went by when we both suddenly realized he was trackstanding the whole time without
    thinking about it. He can't do one to save his ass if he thinks about it. I guess the point of this
    is to keep from over-correcting. Kind of like carrying a full cup of coffee, if you don't look at
    the cup you won't spill as much.

    Mike

  6. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Phil)

    >How do you do it?

    I've been trying to learn this myself. Didn't know about pointing uphill. I have learned that
    turning your wheel into the direction of fall will bring you upright again. But I tend to
    overcompensate and often rapidly turn left and right which gets you moving forward. Can do it for
    about 30 seconds, but I look like a spaz. Keeps the cars away!

    Sig Chicago

  7. Ivo

    Ivo Guest

    [email protected] (Charles Beristain) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I did a writeup last winter.. describing how I learned how to trackstand.. maybe it will be
    > helpful to you.
    >
    > http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/trackstands.html
    >
    > charlie

    Fine, but the other one, "bouncing in place", seems to utilize a very kinky crankset. To quote:
    "Stand on the pedals ( 3 and 6 o'clock) with powerfoot forward..." Can you please post a picture of
    said crankset?

  8. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    Ivo <[email protected]> writes:

    > [email protected] (Charles Beristain) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I did a writeup last winter.. describing how I learned how to trackstand.. maybe it will be
    > > helpful to you.
    > >
    > > http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/trackstands.html
    > >
    > > charlie
    > >

    > Fine, but the other one, "bouncing in place", seems to utilize a very kinky crankset. To quote:
    > "Stand on the pedals ( 3 and 6 o'clock) with powerfoot forward..." Can you please post a picture
    > of said crankset?

    Here's one such crankset:

    http://www.samhuffman.com/biking/11_02_2002/Images/8.jpg

    I haven't tried a track-stand on it though.

    Sam

  9. I have watched people perform a trackstand and it's like observing Jesse Jackson speaking when
    you're sure he's going to get the words so balled up that it becomes incomprehensable (and yet he
    never does). The trackstander is on the verge of falling the whole time, it seems impossible that he
    won't, and yet he never does.

    Bob Taylor

  10. sorry about that... as you probably figured out from looking at the pictures, I should have written
    3 and 9 o'clock.. I'll make that fix. thanks charlie

  11. Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How do you do it?

    On my track bike, I get my cranks horizontal or the front one facing upwards a bit. Then I stay
    motionless, occasionally pedaling forwards and backwards (I have the backwards luxury on this bike).
    I keep my right foot forwards and my front wheel turned to the right. I find that it is helpful if I
    rest a leg against my top tube. I agree that it is somethin of a Zen thing. On my track bike, it
    took about two months to learn this. I highly recommend staying in your driveway or wherever after
    (or before) each ride and practice trackstanding for a couple minutes.

    On my mountain bike, it's a different story. I've had this bike for several months, but can't
    trackstand very well yet. I guess I need to hit the driveway and practice some. I need to get more
    into my Zen groove, I suspect, because I'm too used to pedaling forwards and back. Now I need to
    just be still. Good Luck!
    --
    Alexander Kahn