Trackstanding

Davidm

Guest
Being an SPD'd commuter, I practice trackstanding a bit at the lights, but
today I almost went ****-over. Nothing unusual there, except that this time
it was because me front wheel got caught on the toe of my left shoe! New to
me, but has anyone else had that one? My cleat placement feels OK, but
maybe I've got them too far back?!? It' not like my bike has a very steep
head tube or anything (71.5) or a super short wheelbase or any exacerbating
geometry factor....

Cheers
David M

"Davidm" <[email protected]
> Being an SPD'd commuter, I practice trackstanding a bit at the lights, but
> today I almost went ****-over. Nothing unusual there, except that this
> time it was because me front wheel got caught on the toe of my left shoe!
> New to me, but has anyone else had that one?

Yeah, it just means you have tightish frame geometry, big feet
or a bent fork. You can also alter the position of your feet, i.e.
so instead of being at 3o'clock and 9o'clock have them at
2 and 8 with the aim simply being to keep your feet away from
the front wheel. Which way do you turn the wheel and which
foot do you have forward?

> My cleat placement feels OK,

Don't alter this if it's right!!!

> maybe I've got them too far back?!?

No no no.. you don't mess with cleats for trackstanding!
It's more likely a combo of feet size, frame size and
technique. If you are setup properly for that bike - LEAVE
it. Adjust your technique.

hippy

"Davidm" <[email protected]> writes:

> Being an SPD'd commuter, I practice trackstanding a bit at the lights, but
> today I almost went ****-over. Nothing unusual there, except that this time
> it was because me front wheel got caught on the toe of my left shoe! New to
> me, but has anyone else had that one? My cleat placement feels OK, but
> maybe I've got them too far back?!? It' not like my bike has a very steep
> head tube or anything (71.5) or a super short wheelbase or any exacerbating
> geometry factor....

Just curious, did you have the wheel turned to the right with your
right foot forward? That's how I've been doing them, I can't imagine
getting my feet caught up that way.

> Yeah, it just means you have tightish frame geometry, big feet
> or a bent fork. You can also alter the position of your feet, i.e.
> so instead of being at 3o'clock and 9o'clock have them at
> 2 and 8 with the aim simply being to keep your feet away from
> the front wheel. Which way do you turn the wheel and which
> foot do you have forward?

The goemtry isn't verytight, the feet aren't very big and the forks not very
bent! Must be kinda an accumulation... I generally have my left foot
forward, and turn my bars toward the right. Might try unlearning this and
getting the right foot forward...

> No no no.. you don't mess with cleats for trackstanding!
> It's more likely a combo of feet size, frame size and
> technique. If you are setup properly for that bike - LEAVE
> it. Adjust your technique.

Yeah, you're right of course. Silly to meddle with equipment setup to
compensate for dodgy technique!

Cheers
David M

"Davidm" <[email protected]
> The goemtry isn't verytight, the feet aren't very big and the forks not
> very bent! Must be kinda an accumulation... I generally have my left foot
> forward, and turn my bars toward the right. Might try unlearning this and
> getting the right foot forward...

Looking along the road, I turn the bars to the right,
i.e. steering "up" the road camber. My good foot or
"chocolate" foot (thanks Hans Rey.. legend!) is my
left foot, so my left foot is the one out in front.
If the wheel is straight there's no chance of foot
contact, as you turn the wheel to the right, the rear
of the wheel swings left. At maybe 30deg, you are
in a prime position to contact the back of the wheel
with your left foot (if doing it my way). You should
turn the wheel more. You can get the front wheel
perpendicular to the bike - you don't need to go that
far but you can. Anyway, I remember doing this.. you
just need a bit more practise.

hippy