Trader joe

Miss Violette

Guest
OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's. What
would buy from there, and in what quantity if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just
can't wait

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> What would buy from there, and in what quantity if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who
> just can't wait

I usually buy my Kashi cereal there (really cheap). They have great low point chicken sausages in
various flavors. The buffalo and venison burgers are low points and really good.

--
Started Weight Watchers together February 2002: Chris
332.4/184.6/185 Lifetime since 12/13/03 Pat

If you like dried fruit, they have a wide selection. See if they have the Raisin Medley - a mix of
golden, flame, regular raisins and some very large ones, too.

As Chris mentioned, lots of cold cereal choices and a good price on McCann's real oatmeal. I like
their high fiber cereal.

Good frozen fish. Cheap prices on wines (G)

A great variety of condiments but not necessarily WW friendly (too many points due to olive oil
base) Tomato pesto, cilantro pesto, dried tomatos in oil.....

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's. What
>would buy from there, and in what quantity if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just
>can't wait

This is tough Lee, as I don't know what you like to eat ... and what you totally detest (other than
the low carb pasta - LOL). So I'll just give you my favorites and let you make up your own mind.

- British whole wheat english muffins (is the only place I can find whole wheat english muffins that
work out to 2pts each)

- Blueberry bran muffins - these are more like mini muffins, very good at about 1 or 1.5 pts each.
Be careful though! There are no preservatives and they tend to go moldy very quickly. If you buy
in any quantity, FREEZE ... store in fridge when thawed for longer life.

- McCann's steel cut oatmeal - if you like oatmeal. Not an instant variety though.

- frozen lean cuisine type dinners: roasted vegetable enchiladas, garden vegetable lasagna. Be
careful with these when figuring point values as the package may be considered 2 servings (still
pretty reasonable pointwise)

- the frozen fish is fantastic - this I usually buy half a dozen packages of and freeze and really
is my main reason for going. I've tried the halibut, striped bass, orange roughy, salmon, ahi tuna
and another tuna ... all equally as good. The frozen scallops and shrimp are also very good. Guess
I really haven't had any bad seafood from there yet.

- frozen fruit ... I love their berry medley. Think it's raspberries and blueberries, very very good
and different from what I see in the grocery store. I often have a cup of this with toast or
english muffin for breakfast (thawed of course)

- roasted red pepper with garlic spread. Fantastic on sandwiches (instead of mustard or mayo),
different, hard to explain. I have also used it as a sauce for pasta, dip, lots of uses.

- not very point friendly: vodka sauce (a red pasta sauce that is cream cheese based ... out of this
world) ... crab ravioli (in the fresh section), again not so point friendly at 1 point each, but
very very worth it (with a smidge of the vodka sauce served atop)

- In the fresh meats section they have a lot of different varieties of skinless chicken sausages,
all are extremely good. Our favorite is the italian seasoned variety, and the tomato basil (I
think) ... I've heard all are good. I buy these frequently and freeze them. I believe they are 2
points per link, I use them sometimes for sausage sandwiches (grilled), usually cut up 2 or 3
links, add to a little cooked rigatoni or other pasta, tons of veggies, tomatoes or that red
pepper sauce ... makes a reasonably pointed yet hearty dinner. They also have smaller breakfast
sized links of the skinless chicken sausages ... very, very good and 1 point each.

- If you like dried fruit they have a lot of great mixtures as well as packages of individual
varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried apple rings.

- I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says it is his favorite wine.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll chime back
in.

Joyce

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's. What
>would buy from there, and in what quantity if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just
>can't wait

I'll second the seafood comment, I haven't had bad seafood from TJ's. Joyce pretty much covered
everything else.

Julie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried apple
rings.

> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
> cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says it
is his
> favorite wine.
>
> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
chime back
> in.
>
> Joyce
>

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> >What would buy from there, and in what
quantity
> >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

Thank you, Lee
Chris <zysmith@@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
> berlin.de:
>
> > OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> > What would buy from there, and in what quantity if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who
> > just can't wait
> >

> I usually buy my Kashi cereal there (really cheap). They have great low point chicken sausages in
> various flavors. The buffalo and venison
burgers
> are low points and really good.
>
> --
> Started Weight Watchers together February 2002: Chris
> 332.4/184.6/185 Lifetime since 12/13/03 Pat
> 198.4/174/155 2002 combined loss 139 2003 combined loss 33.2 Total combined 172.2 lbs

Drooling, maybe I shouldn't have asked this after, thanks, more drooling,
dried fruit, mmmmm Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you like dried fruit, they have a wide selection. See if they have the Raisin Medley - a mix of
> golden, flame, regular raisins and some very large ones, too.
>
> As Chris mentioned, lots of cold cereal choices and a good price on McCann's real oatmeal. I like
> their high fiber cereal.
>
> Good frozen fish. Cheap prices on wines (G)
>
> A great variety of condiments but not necessarily WW friendly (too many points due to olive oil
> base) Tomato pesto, cilantro pesto, dried tomatos in oil.....
>

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> >What would buy from there, and in what
quantity
> >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

drooling to dehydration now... Truth is Joyce, the only cooked vegetable I
don't eat is cooked carrots, the only raw one I would rather not eat is
broccoli, one of the reasons I am here now is that I just plain love to eat
most things and except for the items I am allergic to haven't met too much I
won't at least try once. Chime away I think I am dehydrated Moore reading
this than I have been in a long time, Lee
> [...]
> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried apple
rings.

> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
> cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says it
is his
> favorite wine.
>
> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
chime back
> in.
>
> Joyce
>

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> >What would buy from there, and in what
quantity
> >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

I remembered one other thing that we really like, actually, daughter put in a request for it. I'm
not sure exactly what it's called, but it is found in the fresh meat/salsa section of the store
(refrigerated) - is an island mango salsa, or caribean or something along those lines. It is
fantastic, we use it on seafood or mix it in with couscous ... different, but very tasty.

Joyce

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:23:34 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried apple
>rings.
>>
>> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
>> cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says it
>is his
>> favorite wine.
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
>chime back
>> in.
>>
>> Joyce
>>

>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"
><[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
>> >What would buy from there, and in what
>quantity
>> >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

thanks, to you also, Lee
skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
apple
> rings.
> >
> > - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
> > cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says
it
> is his
> > favorite wine.
> >
> > Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
> chime back
> > in.
> >
> > Joyce
> >

> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"
> <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
> > >What would buy from there, and in what
> quantity
> > >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

That sounds interesting, Lee
> [...]
very,
> >very good
> >> and 1 point each.
> >>
> >> - If you like dried fruit they have a lot of great mixtures as well as
> >packages of
> >> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried
apple
> >rings.
> >>
> >> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ...
and
> >> reasonably priced. My cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says
it
> >is his
> >> favorite wine.
> >>
> >> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
> >chime back
> >> in.
> >>
> >> Joyce
> >>

> >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"

is grocery that has wonderful things and the closest one to me is about 3
hundred miles away so since I will be in chicagoland I am taking advantage
of it, Lee
dcsena <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What or who is a Trader Joe??

DH loves the bruchetta that you find in the fridge section. It's not too bad on the calories, but
it's not free either. He loves their salsa too. To him there is no bad way to serve tomatoes (other
than ketchup).

> [...]
very,
> >very good
> >> and 1 point each.
> >>
> >> - If you like dried fruit they have a lot of great mixtures as well as
> >packages of
> >> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried
apple
> >rings.
> >>
> >> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ...
and
> >> reasonably priced. My cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says
it
> >is his
> >> favorite wine.
> >>
> >> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
> >chime back
> >> in.
> >>
> >> Joyce
> >>

> >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"

If you have the time to spare, just slowly wander around the store. It isn't a large place, my local
store only has 5 or 6 aisles, not including the liquor section. But it really is loaded with a lot
of things I have never seen elsewhere. Have fun, and I hope you like it as much as I do!

Joyce

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:17:02 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried apple
>rings.
>>
>> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ... and reasonably priced. My
>> cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says it
>is his
>> favorite wine.
>>
>> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
>chime back
>> in.
>>
>> Joyce
>>

>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"
><[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >OK we will be in the Chicago area this weekend, I get a trip, time permitting to trader Joe's.
>> >What would buy from there, and in what
>quantity
>> >if money and storage were not issues, Lee, who just can't wait

Good deal part of the reason I asked what you guys would buy is I assumed it
would be one of those huge places. Since you say it is smaller I can handle
a bit of shopping, Lee
Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> [...]
very,
> >very good
> >> and 1 point each.
> >>
> >> - If you like dried fruit they have a lot of great mixtures as well as
> >packages of
> >> individual varieties. One of my favorites is the granny smith dried
apple
> >rings.
> >>
> >> - I've never tried any, but I've heard their wines are very good ...
and
> >> reasonably priced. My cousin stops there whenever he is in town, says
it
> >is his
> >> favorite wine.
> >>
> >> Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If I do, I'll
> >chime back
> >> in.
> >>
> >> Joyce
> >>

> >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:59:11 -0600, "Miss Violette"

thanks, Lee
> [...]
>

> "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I remembered one other thing that we really like, actually, daughter put
> in a
> > request for it. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but it is found
in
> the
> > fresh meat/salsa section of the store (refrigerated) - is an island
mango
> salsa,
> > or caribean or something along those lines. It is fantastic, we use it
on
> seafood
> > or mix it in with couscous ... different, but very tasty.
> >
> > Joyce
> >
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:23:34 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > >I'll second the seafood comment, I haven't had bad seafood from TJ's.

Joyce,

They just built a new one in Batavia/Geneva (it's at the corner of Fabiyan Pkwy and Randal Rd,
Joyce) and for a Trader Joe's it's roomier. They have things that I haven't seen at my usual store
(Arlington Heights), so you might want to check it out if you have a chance.

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> [...]
> > section. But it really is loaded with a lot of things I have never seen elsewhere. Have fun, and
> > I hope you like it as much as I do!
> >
> > Joyce
> >
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:17:02 -0600, "Miss Violette"
> <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >drooling to dehydration now... Truth is Joyce, the only cooked
vegetable
> > >don't eat is cooked carrots, the only raw one I would rather not eat is broccoli, one of the
> > >reasons I am here now is that I just plain love to
> eat
> > >most things and except for the items I am allergic to haven't met too
> much I
> > >won't at least try once. Chime away I think I am dehydrated Moore
> reading
> > >this than I have been in a long time, Lee Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message

ARGH!!! And of course, AFTER you had already left for the week-end I thought of something else. They
have some prepared soups that are packaged in boxes ... the Roasted Pepper Tomato soup is to die
for. Oh well, maybe next time you make the trip? So how did you like Trader Joes and what all did
you stock up on?

Joyce

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:50:37 -0600, "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> section. But it really is loaded with a lot of things I have never seen elsewhere. Have fun, and
>> I hope you like it as much as I do!
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:17:02 -0600, "Miss Violette"
><[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >drooling to dehydration now... Truth is Joyce, the only cooked vegetable
>> >don't eat is cooked carrots, the only raw one I would rather not eat is broccoli, one of the
>> >reasons I am here now is that I just plain love to
>eat
>> >most things and except for the items I am allergic to haven't met too
>much I
>> >won't at least try once. Chime away I think I am dehydrated Moore
>reading
>> >this than I have been in a long time, Lee Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message

I'd been watching that one going up for quite some time. I pass by it whenever I go out to my
brothers house (he is in Elburn). You do a lot of traveling, don't you? <G> Thanks for passing on
the tip though, I'll take a run out there one day (when the weather gets nicer). I really do love
that place!

Joyce