Trader Joe's

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:24:06 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> The dried seeds and nuts are pretty good.

> Their nuts are a real bargin. That's the place to go when you need
> pecans!
> --

I usually buy pecans at Costco where I think they are definitely less than
$5 a lb. Because of that I haven't priced Trader Joe's. I also buy English
Walnuts and almonds at Costco in their 2# bags.
But I like to buy the other nuts that TJ's carries; hazelnuts, shelled
pistachios, etc.
Dee Dee

On Tue 18 Apr 2006 06:35:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 09:42:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

> I thought
>> perhaps you might think of something else at TJ's that Serene might
>> like instead of juice.
>>
>> Personally, I love their juices, and I hadn't tried the one you
>> mentioned. Now I will, because it sounds delicious.> Wayne Boatwright
>> @¿@¬

> Thanks, Wayne,
> There are four different juices in four different bottles -- 1) 100%
> pomegrante; 2) 100% sour cherry; 3)100% cranberry 4)triple berry which
> is pomegrante, cranberry & blueberry all in one bottle.

I've had the pomegranite and sour cherry ony. The others are a must try,
especially the triple berry! I will pick some up on my next trip.

> My other liking that I find nowhere else is their Irish Breakfast tea
> bags 80/$3.29. One bag is enough for a 4 cup pyrex pitcher. If you
> like Green Tea, they have a pretty-good quality tea bag of Lung Ching, I
> think it's called (Dragon Well Tea). I believe it has their TJ's name on
> it. We use 2 bags per 4 cup pitcher, but with Dragon Well, it is
> custom that it can be used 3 x. It is a weak tea, so one doesn't know
> when it's finished!

I would probably like the Irish Breakfast Tea, although I drink all tea
iced. :) My favorite is Earl Grey, which I order from McNulty's in
Greenwich Village. I would probably not like the Dragon Well because I
like very strong tea.

> Last time I splurged on their organic butter $4.49#. It is good. The
> only problem is DH will at one meal use almost a stick's worth. Hope
> it's true that butter is better than margarine or I'm going to be a
> widow soon. Dee Dee

Oh, the butter is SO good! I don't use much these days on account of
Weight Watchers, but I love the stuff. I believe what they say about
butter versus margarine, although over-indulgence in any fat is probably
ill-advised (stated by one who knows the consequences). :)

I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at TJ's
that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it, in both
pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream these days,
although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I like some of Trader Joe's luxury items, but what makes me a fanatic
is their regular, non-luxury stuff. If you have a freezer, you could
*easily* spend $90 on frozen veggies. They have the best frozen
spinach I've ever found for $1.19 a pound, a pound of mixed ORGANIC
vegetables for $1.99, frozen green beans, haricot verts, regular or
organic blueberries, mixed tropical fruits (great for smoothies) all at
bargain prices.

(I buy a bit of their frozen prepared foods, just for emergency, and
they're reasonably priced -- like two little bean burritos for $2.49,
frozen pizzas for $4.)

Soy milk is $1.49. They have GREAT cereals, mueslis and granolas.
They also have low-fat yogurt for seventy five cents per little cup.

I *highly* recommend their simmer sauces for emergency meals. They're
$2.50 to $3.00 a jar, and come in flavors like curry, masala, creole,
and Moroccan tagine. Chop a chicken breast, fry it, dump in a jar of
simmer sauce and a pound of their frozen vegetables. Simmer ten or
fifteen minutes, then serve over rice.

As for pantry items, they have vegetable and chicken stock for $1.99 a
carton, inexpensive pasta, lots of soups, spaghetti sauce, etc.

If we still haven't convinced you, I'll happily take them off your
hands! (For a *bit* of a discount, of course. ;) )

>> There are four different juices in four different bottles -- 1) 100%
>> pomegrante; 2) 100% sour cherry; 3)100% cranberry 4)triple berry which
>> is pomegrante, cranberry & blueberry all in one bottle.

> I've had the pomegranite and sour cherry ony. The others are a must try,
> especially the triple berry! I will pick some up on my next trip.

Cranberry is sooooo sour and strong -- I always water it down a bit. Triple
berry and sour cherry are my favorites, tho.

>> My other liking that I find nowhere else is their Irish Breakfast tea
>> bags 80/$3.29. One bag is enough for a 4 cup pyrex pitcher. If you
>> like Green Tea, they have a pretty-good quality tea bag of Lung Ching, I
>> think it's called (Dragon Well Tea). I believe it has their TJ's name on
>> it. We use 2 bags per 4 cup pitcher, but with Dragon Well, it is
>> custom that it can be used 3 x. It is a weak tea, so one doesn't know
>> when it's finished!

> I would probably like the Irish Breakfast Tea, although I drink all tea
> iced. :) My favorite is Earl Grey, which I order from McNulty's in
> Greenwich Village. I would probably not like the Dragon Well because I
> like very strong tea.

If you like Earl Grey, their Irish would probably be too bland for you.
Dragon Well is an acquired taste. Tastes so weak and ordinary to most
people. I was initiated to the taste in China where I bought the most lowly
(if there is such a thing) to the very best grade. Hardly any of the people
we gave it to as gifts expressed a desire to buy it again -- most were local
Hawaii people and they weren't really interested in it -- regardless of
their background. I usually buy it at a Chinese store that I go to about
once a year.

> Oh, the butter is SO good! I don't use much these days on account of
> Weight Watchers, but I love the stuff. I believe what they say about
> butter versus margarine, although over-indulgence in any fat is probably
> ill-advised (stated by one who knows the consequences). :)

I don't eat butter often, but when I do, I want GOOD butter.

> I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at TJ's
> that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it, in both
> pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream these
> days,
> although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

I'm going to check again at TJ's in Centerville when I go there next. It
definitely is not at Darien or Orange CT. They only carry cream in the
small containers anyway, at double the price of the Ultrapasteurized Costco
brand. I'm going to check again at Wegman's and Fresh Fields, though I
don't think I'll have any luck.

DH brought "SO" organic ice cream (at Walmart) made from soy beans
yesterday thinking he would help keep some weight on me while I was
recooping, I guess -- tee hee. OMG, it was terrible, to me. I NEED CREAM
for it to taste like ice CREAM.

Dee Dee

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I like some of Trader Joe's luxury items, but what makes me a fanatic
> is their regular, non-luxury stuff. If you have a freezer, you could
> *easily* spend $90 on frozen veggies. They have the best frozen
> spinach I've ever found for $1.19 a pound, a pound of mixed ORGANIC
> vegetables for $1.99, frozen green beans, haricot verts, regular or
> organic blueberries, mixed tropical fruits (great for smoothies) all at
> bargain prices.
>

> (I buy a bit of their frozen prepared foods, just for emergency, and
> they're reasonably priced -- like two little bean burritos for $2.49,
> frozen pizzas for $4.)
>
> Soy milk is $1.49. They have GREAT cereals, mueslis and granolas.
> They also have low-fat yogurt for seventy five cents per little cup.
>
> I *highly* recommend their simmer sauces for emergency meals. They're
> $2.50 to $3.00 a jar, and come in flavors like curry, masala, creole,
> and Moroccan tagine. Chop a chicken breast, fry it, dump in a jar of
> simmer sauce and a pound of their frozen vegetables. Simmer ten or
> fifteen minutes, then serve over rice.
>
> As for pantry items, they have vegetable and chicken stock for $1.99 a
> carton, inexpensive pasta, lots of soups, spaghetti sauce, etc.
>
> If we still haven't convinced you, I'll happily take them off your
> hands! (For a *bit* of a discount, of course. ;) )

I don't need convincing, but I appreciate your input. I will try their
frozen spinach. I like their haricot verts. They were out last time -- too
popular, I guess. I will also try their mixed tropical fruits, too.
Costco's are/were too icky with some sort of coating/sweetener, I don't know
what it was.

I'll look for simmer sauce -- is that what they call it -- sounds pretty
good and the way you describe to do it makes me want to make some.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

On 18 Apr 2006 16:17:08 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue 18 Apr 2006 06:35:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>Randall?

>I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at TJ's
>that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it, in both
>pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream these days,
>although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(

In all the TJs I have been in, from coast to coast, they usually have
some cream which is not ultrapasturized. It is about all I buy as
well..

Christine

In article <[email protected]>,
Serene <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, a neighbor just brought us a thank-you gift for watching her
> cats while she's away: $90 in gift cards to Trader Joe's.
>
> Okay, folks, now's your chance to recommend stuff (I'll google, too --
> I usually pretty well ignore those threads).
>
> We don't drink wine (or alcohol at all, or soda or juice) or care much
> for sweets, and we're not that interested in junk food unless it's
> really kick-ass junk food. What should we keep an eye out for?

They have really good prices on dried fruit and nuts, especially
apricots, cherries, cranberries, pine nuts and pistachios, we get a
domestic grana there that is a good price, we buy buttermilk there, if
you don't grow basil, they have something like a pound of it for a
dollar or two, we buy their grade B maple syrup if we can't make it up
to Central Market where you can buy it in bulk, roasted peppers in a
jar, frozen peppers (melange a trois), frozen haricots verts. Some
things we get there that aren't the best price, but they are really
tasty, their brown sugar cured ham, their Mediterranean mix of shredded
cheese, the frozen roasted corn. We get their Yemeni coffee there,
because it is so good. We tend not to buy a lot of their premade, or
convenience foods, though we sometimes get things like the sweet salty
trek mix or the honey roasted sesame sticks, also occasionally the sweet
and hot pecans. We bought some really nice aioli there once. We do buy
wine there. We don't go there that often, because it's across the
bridge and not on our way to anything, but there are things we do get
there.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cruise the isles. TJ isn't like Whole Foods. You can get a ton of
> good stuff for your money.... the problem is that it's like CostCo.
> You find so many bargins that you end up spending way more than you'd
> planned, just "saving" money.

Boy, that's the truth. You can blow money there very easily. We
have a whole foods in town, but I don't find much there I care for. I
think I've only bought something there once, about six years ago.

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I was saying (here or in chat, I forget) that I would shop more at
> > Trader Joe's if I had lots more money, because I can't justify the
> > expense for what are mostly luxury items for me.
> >
> > Well, a neighbor just brought us a thank-you gift for watching her
> > cats while she's away: $90 in gift cards to Trader Joe's.
> >
> > Okay, folks, now's your chance to recommend stuff (I'll google, too --
> > I usually pretty well ignore those threads).
> >
> > We don't drink wine (or alcohol at all, or soda or juice) or care much
> > for sweets, and we're not that interested in junk food unless it's
> > really kick-ass junk food. What should we keep an eye out for?
> >
> > Serene

> I would recommend highly their juice in bottles. I believe there are four
> of them; 1) pomegrante, 2) sour cherry 3) cranberry 4) 3 in one- I forget
> what it is called, but it has pomegrante, cranberry & blueberry I believe.
> These are $3.99 and are well worth it in strength. If I didn't go there for
> anything else, this would be it. There are other things, but for me, this is
> the most valuable.

I second that. The full strength juices are great, and at a good
price. Mix them with water and Splenda for excellent drinks. A little
vodka ca be nice too :)

> Dee Dee

--Bryan

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But all is not lost, maybe someone else will read my contribution and like
> it in spite of its redundancy. :))) Ooops, perhaps I'd better look up
> the word 'redundancy.' Too many proofreaders here, don't want to get
> called on that either.

Watch out. The Department of Redundancy Department is monitoring everything
you write.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at TJ's
> that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it, in both
> pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream these
> days,
> although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(
> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

What's better about cream that's NOT pasteurized?

Doug Kanter wrote:

> What's better about cream that's NOT pasteurized?

It's not a matter of the heavy cream being pasteurized, there is a law
that requires it, it is the Ultra-Pasteurization that changes so much
about the heavy cream

To start with, the taste. Next, the way it whips up. The way it
stays whipped without adding a stabilizer.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:35:15 -0400, "Dee Randall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My other liking that I find nowhere else is their Irish Breakfast tea bags
>80/$3.29.

Oh, excellent! That's my favorite tea!

serene

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Serene wrote:
>> I was saying (here or in chat, I forget) that I would shop more at
>> Trader Joe's if I had lots more money, because I can't justify the
>> expense for what are mostly luxury items for me.
>>
>> Well, a neighbor just brought us a thank-you gift for watching her
>> cats while she's away: $90 in gift cards to Trader Joe's.
>>
>> Okay, folks, now's your chance to recommend stuff (I'll google, too --
>> I usually pretty well ignore those threads).
>>
>> We don't drink wine (or alcohol at all, or soda or juice) or care much
>> for sweets, and we're not that interested in junk food unless it's
>> really kick-ass junk food. What should we keep an eye out for?
>>
>> Serene

I missed the OP so I'll add mine on here.
The things we buy at TJ's.
Rice milk, usually I buy 16 to 20 quarts at a time
Their cereals are a great buy. When you open it box it's full, not like at
the supermarket. We have liked every one that we have tried.
The Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage is excellent and low(er) in fat.
Frozen Mango, my kids love it (I don't care for it much) it makes for a nice
sweet treat in hot weather, it also makes a good smoothie.
Soy Yogurt
Carrot Juice .. I know you said you don't drink juice but it is good to make
soup.
Soy Cheese
The nut butters are an excellent price, we also buy a lot of dried fruits.
My kids and DH LOVE the salmon burgers. They are easy to make and healthy.
I have bought a few of the frozen desserts, however not often and just to
have on hand for summer company.
Soba noodles, rice noodles, rice and pretty much anything Japanese or
Chinese .. the soy sauce is far better than the grocery store.
I have also had excellent luck w/ their vitamins.
(My daughter has a dairy allergy, that is the reason for all of the soy/rice
products.)

On Tue 18 Apr 2006 08:22:25a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>>> There are four different juices in four different bottles -- 1) 100%
>>> pomegrante; 2) 100% sour cherry; 3)100% cranberry 4)triple berry which
>>> is pomegrante, cranberry & blueberry all in one bottle.

>> I've had the pomegranite and sour cherry ony. The others are a must
>> try, especially the triple berry! I will pick some up on my next trip.

> Cranberry is sooooo sour and strong -- I always water it down a bit.
> Triple berry and sour cherry are my favorites, tho.

I might actually like the cranberry, then, as I enjoy the sourness and I like
strong flavors.

>>> My other liking that I find nowhere else is their Irish Breakfast tea
>>> bags 80/$3.29. One bag is enough for a 4 cup pyrex pitcher. If you
>>> like Green Tea, they have a pretty-good quality tea bag of Lung Ching,
>>> I think it's called (Dragon Well Tea). I believe it has their TJ's
>>> name on it. We use 2 bags per 4 cup pitcher, but with Dragon Well,
>>> it is custom that it can be used 3 x. It is a weak tea, so one doesn't
>>> know when it's finished!

>> I would probably like the Irish Breakfast Tea, although I drink all tea
>> iced. :) My favorite is Earl Grey, which I order from McNulty's in
>> Greenwich Village. I would probably not like the Dragon Well because I
>> like very strong tea.

> If you like Earl Grey, their Irish would probably be too bland for you.

You might be right about that, although I have brewed English breakfast tea
strong and liked it.

> Dragon Well is an acquired taste. Tastes so weak and ordinary to most
> people. I was initiated to the taste in China where I bought the most
> lowly (if there is such a thing) to the very best grade. Hardly any of
> the people we gave it to as gifts expressed a desire to buy it again --
> most were local Hawaii people and they weren't really interested in it
> -- regardless of their background. I usually buy it at a Chinese store
> that I go to about once a year.

Yep, think I'll skip that one. :)

>> Oh, the butter is SO good! I don't use much these days on account of
>> Weight Watchers, but I love the stuff. I believe what they say about
>> butter versus margarine, although over-indulgence in any fat is
>> probably ill-advised (stated by one who knows the consequences). :)

> I don't eat butter often, but when I do, I want GOOD butter.

Can't blame you there!

>> I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at
>> TJ's that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it,
>> in both pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream
>> these days, although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

> I'm going to check again at TJ's in Centerville when I go there next.
> It definitely is not at Darien or Orange CT. They only carry cream in
> the small containers anyway, at double the price of the Ultrapasteurized
> Costco brand. I'm going to check again at Wegman's and Fresh Fields,
> though I don't think I'll have any luck.

That's too bad. I really don't like the Ultrapasteurized cream. It has a
cooked taste to me and an aftertaste.

> DH brought "SO" organic ice cream (at Walmart) made from soy beans
> yesterday thinking he would help keep some weight on me while I was
> recooping, I guess -- tee hee. OMG, it was terrible, to me. I NEED
> CREAM for it to taste like ice CREAM.

UGH! I have never tasted a soy-based "milk" type product that I could manage
to drink. It must be an acquired taste, but I think it tastes really awful.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

On Tue 18 Apr 2006 11:07:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
Suran?

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>

>> What's better about cream that's NOT pasteurized?
>>

> It's not a matter of the heavy cream being pasteurized, there is a law
> that requires it, it is the Ultra-Pasteurization that changes so much
> about the heavy cream
>
> To start with, the taste. Next, the way it whips up. The way it
> stays whipped without adding a stabilizer.

Exactly so. I don't mind regular pasteurized cream at all. Occasionally,
though, I like to make a batch of clotted cream which doesn't work well
with pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized cream. If I go to one of the local
rural dairies, I can usually persuade them to part with a quart or two of
untreated cream.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 18 Apr 2006 16:17:08 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue 18 Apr 2006 06:35:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>Randall?

>>I seem to recall you mentioning that you couldn't get heavy cream at TJ's
>>that wasn't ultra-pasteurized. The TJ's here in AZ does have it, in both
>>pints and quarts. That's the only place I will buy heavy cream these
>>days,
>>although that, too, I must use sparingly. :-(

> In all the TJs I have been in, from coast to coast, they usually have
> some cream which is not ultrapasturized. It is about all I buy as
> well..
>
> Christine

Thanks, Christine, I mentioned this to the dairy man at Darien, CT and he
said that that 'is what the suppliers bring me, and it might be different in
different places.' We chatted a bit about it -- but there has been no
change in Darien.
Dee Dee

"Serene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:35:15 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>My other liking that I find nowhere else is their Irish Breakfast tea bags
>>80/$3.29.

> Oh, excellent! That's my favorite tea!
>
> serene

I'm having a cuppa right now -- after eating a chicken stew made with Jill's
Scot grandmother's dumplings; I had more chicken and dumplings, than liquid,
so it was kinda like chicken-pot-pie == all gone now!

Hope it's good for you -- it's convenient in bags. I usually make tea from
leaves, but this way I have a constant hot tea as DH makes it with bags
without even thinking about it.
Dee Dee

"Serene" wrote >I was saying (here or in chat, I forget) that I would shop
more at
> Trader Joe's if I had lots more money, because I can't justify the
> expense for what are mostly luxury items for me.
>
> Well, a neighbor just brought us a thank-you gift for watching her
> cats while she's away: $90 in gift cards to Trader Joe's.
>
> Okay, folks, now's your chance to recommend stuff (I'll google, too --
> I usually pretty well ignore those threads).
>
> Serene

Check rec.food.cooking in Google. There was a very long thread on what to
buy at Trader Joe's a few months back.

Dora

"Serene" wrote
>I was saying (here or in chat, I forget) that I would shop more at
> Trader Joe's if I had lots more money, because I can't justify the
> expense for what are mostly luxury items for me.
>
> Well, a neighbor just brought us a thank-you gift for watching her
> cats while she's away: $90 in gift cards to Trader Joe's.
>
> Okay, folks, now's your chance to recommend stuff (I'll google, too --
> I usually pretty well ignore those threads).
>
> Serene

Be sure to check rec.food.cooking in Google. There was a very long thread a
few months ago on what to buy at Trader Joe's.

Dora