traders joes using too much cane sugar

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Hi,I try to avoid processed sugar and so I was eating their granola
    for over 10 years. It was flavored with honey, so I figured it was
    okay, and didn't taste that sweet.

    Last month, they stopped selling the granola in bags, and start selling
    it in boxes. The trouble is now it is sweeted with cane sugar, and it's
    very, very sweet.I bought a box, and I could smell the sugar! I can't
    eat it any more.

    I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.

    I guess cane sugar is less expensive, but they just lost a customer.

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    :: Hi,I try to avoid processed sugar and so I was eating their granola
    :: for over 10 years. It was flavored with honey, so I figured it was
    :: okay, and didn't taste that sweet.
    ::
    :: Last month, they stopped selling the granola in bags, and start
    :: selling it in boxes. The trouble is now it is sweeted with cane
    :: sugar, and it's very, very sweet.I bought a box, and I could smell
    :: the sugar! I can't eat it any more.
    ::
    :: I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit
    :: juices, and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.
    ::
    :: I guess cane sugar is less expensive, but they just lost a customer.

    Why were you eating this crap anyway? Honey, fruit juice, and now cane
    sugar?

  3. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Hi,I try to avoid processed sugar and so I was eating their granola
    > for over 10 years. It was flavored with honey, so I figured it was
    > okay, and didn't taste that sweet.
    >
    > Last month, they stopped selling the granola in bags, and start selling
    > it in boxes. The trouble is now it is sweeted with cane sugar, and it's
    > very, very sweet.I bought a box, and I could smell the sugar! I can't
    > eat it any more.
    >
    > I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    > and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.
    >
    > I guess cane sugar is less expensive, but they just lost a customer.

    Neither one is good for a low-carb way of eating. One ounce of honey
    has about 23 carbs and one ounce of granulated sugar has about 28 carbs.

    --
    Saffire
    205/138/135-140 (aka JUST RIGHT!)

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  4. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On 16 Apr 2006 18:44:50 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    |Hi,I try to avoid processed sugar and so I was eating their granola
    |for over 10 years. It was flavored with honey, so I figured it was
    |okay, and didn't taste that sweet.
    |
    |Last month, they stopped selling the granola in bags, and start selling
    |it in boxes. The trouble is now it is sweeted with cane sugar, and it's
    |very, very sweet.I bought a box, and I could smell the sugar! I can't
    |eat it any more.
    |
    |I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    |and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.
    |
    |I guess cane sugar is less expensive, but they just lost a customer.

    Are you serious?

    Sugar is sugar.

  5. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    A cup of Granola has about 47 net carbs, before sugar or honey is added.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,I try to avoid processed sugar and so I was eating their granola
    > for over 10 years. It was flavored with honey, so I figured it was
    > okay, and didn't taste that sweet.
    >
    > Last month, they stopped selling the granola in bags, and start selling
    > it in boxes. The trouble is now it is sweeted with cane sugar, and it's
    > very, very sweet.I bought a box, and I could smell the sugar! I can't
    > eat it any more.
    >
    > I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    > and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.
    >
    > I guess cane sugar is less expensive, but they just lost a customer.

  6. A.D.C.

    A.D.C. Guest

    but they sell some killer unsweetend popcorn and potato chips [wink]

  7. [email protected] wrote:

    > I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    > and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.

    I eat Stonyfield Farm organic whole milk plain yogurt. It's in regular
    grocery stores in quart containers.

    I sweeten and flavor with either a DaVinci sugarless syrup in the
    flavor of my choice or fruit (a few sliced strawberries or some
    cranberries popped in the microwave).

    Very yummy.

  8. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I eat Stonyfield Farm organic whole milk plain yogurt. It's in regular
    > grocery stores in quart containers.

    Ooohh, me, too! I love the creamy top.

    > I sweeten and flavor with either a DaVinci sugarless syrup in the
    > flavor of my choice or fruit (a few sliced strawberries or some
    > cranberries popped in the microwave).

    I put some chopped pecans, berries and some low carb cereal or granola
    for crunch in. After I've eaten the creamy part plain, in private. ;-)

    Susan

  9. Marsha

    Marsha Guest

    Susan wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I eat Stonyfield Farm organic whole milk plain yogurt. It's in regular
    >> grocery stores in quart containers.

    > Ooohh, me, too! I love the creamy top.
    >

    >> I sweeten and flavor with either a DaVinci sugarless syrup in the
    >> flavor of my choice or fruit (a few sliced strawberries or some
    >> cranberries popped in the microwave).

    > I put some chopped pecans, berries and some low carb cereal or granola
    > for crunch in. After I've eaten the creamy part plain, in private. ;-)
    >
    > Susan

    Susan,
    Aren't you the one who posted a while
    back about the creamy part being almost
    a spiritual experience and anyone in
    your family who got to it before you was
    in big trouble?

    Marsha/Ohio

  10. Laureen

    Laureen Guest

    I eat Mountain High Plain fat free. Have you ever made yogurt cheese? I
    line a fine mesh small colander with a paper towel filter ( coffee
    filter was a bit too fine to drain right) and put a cup of yogurt in
    it. I let it sit over a wide mouth jar with saran wrap on it (so it
    doesnt collect food smells) I let it drain for a few days. Make sure to
    flip the paper towel over top so towel doesnt drip after wicking out
    the moisture from the yogurt. Whats left is this thick cream
    cheesetextured tangy spreadable cheese. I have spread it plain,
    seasoned it with dill, garlic, or a bit .....I mean a bit like 1/2
    teaspoon of dry salad salad dressing powder (uncle dans, italian
    dressing etc), or added some salt and sun dried tomatoes to it and I
    spread it on plain Rye Crisp, Wasa Rye Fiber Crackers, or plain Miltons
    crackers. It delicious and different. I use it cuz its fat free and I
    love the tangy bite. I think fat free sour cream and cream cheese taste
    like crap and cream cheese is too fatty for me so it's a great
    alternative.

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/freakinlunachick/album?.dir=/90dd&.src=ph&.tok=phhJ9gCBLmL1VUob

    Laureen

    Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I eat Stonyfield Farm organic whole milk plain yogurt. It's in regular
    > > grocery stores in quart containers.

    > Ooohh, me, too! I love the creamy top.
    >

    > > I sweeten and flavor with either a DaVinci sugarless syrup in the
    > > flavor of my choice or fruit (a few sliced strawberries or some
    > > cranberries popped in the microwave).

    > I put some chopped pecans, berries and some low carb cereal or granola
    > for crunch in. After I've eaten the creamy part plain, in private. ;-)
    >
    > Susan

  11. Alice Faber

    Alice Faber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I then looked at the yogart, that used to be sweeted with fruit juices,
    > > and It is sweeted with cane sugar. Can't eat that either.

    > I eat Stonyfield Farm organic whole milk plain yogurt. It's in regular
    > grocery stores in quart containers.
    >
    > I sweeten and flavor with either a DaVinci sugarless syrup in the
    > flavor of my choice or fruit (a few sliced strawberries or some
    > cranberries popped in the microwave).
    >
    > Very yummy.

    Trader Joes also has a plain yoghurt. If I want fruit-flavored yoghurt,
    I use the same options as Jackie, or, sometimes, a teaspoon or so of
    low-carb jam (sweetened with Splenda).

    Commercially sweetened yoghurts, no matter what they're sweetened with,
    are really awfully sweet. In my opinion, it just takes a tad of
    something sweet to counter the tartness of the yoghurt.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  12. "Laureen" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I eat Mountain High Plain fat free. Have you ever made yogurt
    > cheese?

    Yes, a few times now. I do it in larger quantities than you do, but
    the process is similar. I start by making yogurt with about a
    half-gallon of milk, and letting it 'yogurtify' in a big thermos. The
    next day, I hang the yogurt to drain for 24-48 hours in a piece of
    sheer curtain material that I use rather than cheesecloth.

    It seems a lot like regular cream cheese to me, maybe a little
    tangier, but my taste buds aren't very discriminating. The texture is
    much smoother than the cream cheese I've made the traditional way,
    with rennet and buttermilk as the starter and cutting it into cubes
    and all that.

    --
    Aaron -- [email protected] -- 285/240/200
    http://www.myspace.com/aaronbaugher

    "Where have you gone, Burt Lancaster, and why'd you take most of the
    cool shit with you?"