traditional and sustainable food culture

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Eat Manifesto, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. I'm concerned about how the dramatic increase in corporate control over food production, processing
    and sales are affecting our health and the livelihoods of farmers in developing countries. Equally I
    am angered by the new celebrity and fusion food culture produced by the increasing corporatisation
    of food. Much written or presented in newspaper food reviews, "gourmet" magazines and fast moving
    cooking shows trivialise the complexity of ages old cuisines. All in all we are facing a world with
    less choice for the producers and consumers of food while profits soar for corporations.

    I started a website at http://www.eatmanifesto.com to promote a traditional and sustainable food
    culture. Please visit.

    Tags:

  2. <Rj>

    <Rj> Guest

    On 14 Dec 2003 05:08:44 -0800, [email protected] (Eat
    Manifesto) wrote:

    >I'm concerned about how the dramatic increase in corporate control over food production, processing
    >and sales are affecting our health and the livelihoods of farmers in developing countries. Equally
    >I am angered by the new celebrity and fusion food culture produced by the increasing
    >corporatisation of food. Much written or presented in newspaper food reviews, "gourmet" magazines
    >and fast moving cooking shows trivialise the complexity of ages old cuisines. All in all we are
    >facing a world with less choice for the producers and consumers of food while profits soar for
    >corporations.
    >
    >I started a website at http://www.eatmanifesto.com to promote a traditional and sustainable food
    >culture. Please visit.

    "Eat Manifesto" ???

    Is that an Italian dish ?

    Should that be "Eat More Manifesto" ?

    How do you prepare "Manifesto" ? ;o) <rj

  3. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    Manifesto) wrote:

    >I'm concerned about how the dramatic increase in corporate control over food production, processing
    >and sales are affecting our health and the livelihoods of farmers in developing countries. Equally
    >I am angered by the new celebrity and fusion food culture produced by the increasing
    >corporatisation of food. Much written or presented in newspaper food reviews, "gourmet" magazines
    >and fast moving cooking shows trivialise the complexity of ages old cuisines. All in all we are
    >facing a world with less choice for the producers and consumers of food while profits soar for
    >corporations.
    >
    >I started a website at http://www.eatmanifesto.com to promote a traditional and sustainable food
    >culture. Please visit.

    This is a *very* complex subject. There are good and bad things about industrialized food
    production. "Traditional and sustainable" often means either boutique operations or hardscrabble
    poverty. Often, not always. Successful food items tend to travel. I don't think "fusion" has much to
    do with corporate culture. What was Italian food like before the tomato? Or Indian before the chile?
    Papaya and pineapple both originated in the Americas. Apples (as in "as American as apple pie")
    apparently in the Caucasus.

    I've read many of the 'bad food' books and articles, but the remedy isn't turning the world into
    a series of small farms. Through industrialized methods and global trade, we in the US have some
    of the cheapest and most varied food in the world. We also have the McDonald's potato and a
    'choice' of red or yellow "delicious" apples. And what can't be ignored, a *tremendous* market
    for these products.

    Much of the world, incl. folk in the US, isn't concerned with the available variety of artisan
    cheeses. It's more focussed on being able to nourish a family. Good thing there are groups and
    watchdogs pointing out the bad sides of food production, marketing, etc. And cumbersome and
    imperfect government agencies trying to keep poisonous practices out of the food chain.

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    wrote:

    > "Eat Manifesto" ???

    Kitchen Workers of the World Unite

  5. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >How do you prepare "Manifesto" ?

    Same as pesto, but substitute old packing slips or invoices for the basil.