Traffic cops on bikes

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
The incoming administration has many innovations and one is giving traffic cops the benefit of the bike. It's not really for the health of the cops but for chasing a criminal and also to fix the traffic. The patrol car is useless when there is heavy traffic on the road but a bicycle can easily weave its way between vehicles that are almost parked due to a standstill traffic.

We still have to see it being implemented since it is just a motion for now. But I guess that would somehow be effective as long as the cops have good legs to pump the pedals.

In fact, there are "police bicycle" designed for cops. Most commonly in the form of a mountain bycicle. They are designed to meet the requirements unique to each department. The maneuverability of these vehicles on crowded sidewalks and their ability to navigate narrow, crowded driveways offer advantages over cars, despite the bicycle's lower speed.

Bicycle patrols are not unusual in an urban environment, with all the narrow alleys and tight traffic, is quite inconvenient to chase or patrol only by car. The use of bicycles instead of cars can make police officers more easily approachable, especially in low-crime areas. Bicycles can also be issued to police officers to enhance the mobility and range of foot patrols. Bicycles are also effective crime-fighting tools when used in densely populated urban areas. The bikes are nearly silent in operation and many criminals do not realize that an approaching person on a bike is actually a police officer. Furthermore, if the criminal attempts to flee on foot, the riding police officer has a speed advantage while able to quickly dismount if necessary.

I can definitely see where it would be an advantage to have them on bikes versus in a vehicle. Our downtown area is a prime example, and I am betting that is the case in a lot of other places. The police men and women in our downtown area do ride horses, though, which is pretty neat, but that is more just for show. I have not seen many on bikes but I am wondering if that will change soon.

There are patrol bikes all over this town (San Diego) near the parks and stuff. It's pretty wild, I've never seen cops on bikes like this. They are not, not intimidating whatsoever, its kind of just funny.

I met a couple traffic cops. I think cops should drive cars so you can see them conning. Sometimes, you have to know when they will be around so you won't receive a ticket for being in the wrong place at night.

Thank you for the encouraging comments. From what I remember, that bike for the cops was already implemented in one city before (I just don't remember the year) for the same reasons - chasing after criminals and attending to the traffic jams. Maybe that would be more effective now since traffic is always heavy on the main roads due to lack of discipline of public utility drivers - we have buses, jeepneys and vans that take passengers anywhere, regardless of the loading zone. Maybe those cops on bikes could deter the lack of discipline on the road.

Traffic cops on bikes are pretty much non-existent in my area. Sometimes they do patrol on horseback, I kid you not!

But the majority of patrolling is done on foot or using a car or motor bike. Then again, there's not much in the way of traffic congestion in my neck of the woods. But I can definitely see the benefits of using a bicycle in congested areas.