Traffic Light Actuation Questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Wilton, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. John Wilton

    John Wilton Guest

    There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem to want to acknowledge my
    presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a car going in the appropriate direction to trigger
    them or carefully cross the junction.

    Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    or is that also illegal ?

    I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I need
    to invest in a superconducting electromagnet attachment ?

    Any idea if the light sensors are tunable and if so who do I talk to to get them tuned to bikes ?

    Regards, John Wilton If no-one responds to this then I know its just me !

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    There should be someone in the County Council with responsibility for traffic lights - Cambridge has
    a special team who will deal with such matters. Report them as faulty and thereafter if they are not
    corrected you could be forgiven for assuming them to be faulty and not repaired in which case you
    can cross with care.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

    John Wilton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem to want to acknowledge my
    > presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a car going in the appropriate direction to trigger
    > them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?
    >
    > I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    > low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    > them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I
    > need to invest in a superconducting electromagnet attachment ?
    >
    > Any idea if the light sensors are tunable and if so who do I talk to to get them tuned to bikes ?
    >
    > Regards, John Wilton If no-one responds to this then I know its just me !

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    John Wilton wrote:

    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?

    Riding through is illegal, though if nicked you could probably talk the officer round if you were
    polite and willing to demonstrate the problem. He/she might be in a bad mood though... Pushing
    should be okay though (what I usually do in such circumstances).

    > I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    > low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    > them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I
    > need to invest in a superconducting electromagnet attachment ?

    Doubt it, but have a word with whatever council it is looks after them. They can usually be tweaked
    (so it seems) and will be if you ask. There are a couple of sets in Dundee that have been fiddled
    with and work now where they didn't before.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?

    I think that to be legal you have to *carry* the bike across with wheels completely off the ground,
    as pushing a bike is deemed to be "driving" it!

  5. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:56:09 +0100, John Wilton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem to want to acknowledge my
    > presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a car going in the appropriate direction to trigger
    > them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?
    >
    > I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    > low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    > them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I
    > need to invest in a superconducting electromagnet attachment ?
    >
    > Any idea if the light sensors are tunable and if so who do I talk to to get them tuned to bikes ?

    Yes they can be tuned. Yes you can complain to the local council. No they won't do anything
    about it. (IME)

    I've got one set with the same problem. Nowadays, if there are no cars visible behind me and no cars
    already waiting then I treat it as a give way. IMO it is safer NOT to stop if at all possible as I
    can clear the junction much faster if I don't have to worry about clipping back in.

    I have another set that you have to approach at >20mph if they are going to change. Fortunately it
    is rare that there isn't a car waiting when I reach them on my way home and I'm usually doing >25mph
    anyway although by choice I would start slowing earlier rather than belting up to the lights and
    then slamming the brakes on.

    Regards,

    Tim.

  6. Albert Fish

    Albert Fish Guest

    "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem
    > want to acknowledge my presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a
    car
    > going in the appropriate direction to trigger them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?

    jump em ! (feel the thrill)

    traffic lights are for cars, anyway :)

    as long as there is nothing coming and it's safe to do so, just go for it.

    Albert

  7. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:56:09 +0100, "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem to want to acknowledge my
    >presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a car going in the appropriate direction to trigger
    >them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    >Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    >or is that also illegal ?

    The Highway Code says "If the traffic lights are not working, proceed with caution." It then
    references RTA 1988 sect 36n and TSRGD regs 10 & 33. However none of these address what constitutes
    "not working". Me I'd say they're busted but others would disagree.

    >I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    >low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    >them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I need
    >to invest in a superconducting electromagnet attachment ?
    >
    >Any idea if the light sensors are tunable and if so who do I talk to to get them tuned to bikes ?

    Yes they are adjustable. I've found ringing the local County Council Highways (not Borough) gets
    results. Arm yourself with location of lights and if poss the number printed on the control box. My
    most recent complaint got them fixed within 24 hours. If they don't fix them, complain again.

    Tim

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I think that to be legal you have to *carry* the bike across with wheels completely off the
    > ground, as pushing a bike is deemed to be "driving" it!

    Under the circumstances described the law would be a complete ass if you were prosecuted.

  9. Paul "Speed" [email protected] "Camera" Smith of Scotland, UK wrote:
    ( Asimple forward facing radar reflector would soon answer the ) question.

    The scythes on the wheels are pretty good radar reflectors.

  10. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:26:38 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes they can be tuned. Yes you can complain to the local council. No they won't do anything about
    >it. (IME)

    >I've got one set with the same problem. Nowadays, if there are no cars visible behind me and no
    >cars already waiting then I treat it as a give way. IMO it is safer NOT to stop if at all possible
    >as I can clear the junction much faster if I don't have to worry about clipping back in.

    >I have another set that you have to approach at >20mph if they are going to change. Fortunately it
    >is rare that there isn't a car waiting when I reach them on my way home and I'm usually doing
    >>25mph anyway although by choice I would start slowing earlier rather than belting up to the lights
    >and then slamming the brakes on.

    Many lights trigger change by doppler radar. Is the main problem that bikes provide a poor radar
    reflection? Or is it that they are usually travelling below the trigger threshold speed?

    A simple forward facing radar reflector would soon answer the question.
    --
    Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
    cameras cost lives

  11. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    There is a set at a T-junction at which I always wanted to turn right onto the main road. The
    council put new pedestrian lights in (which I'd been onto them for ages to do). After that, my bike
    did not trigger the lights.

    I rang the help number "Clarence" in Wiltshire, and eventually I got onto the engineer who told me
    which part of the induction loop would be activated by the bike. Unfortunately this was the bit at
    the extreme left, which means that if I hold the bike there, some arse in a car then comes up
    alongside me and overtakes me as we turn right.

    So yes, do 'phone up, and if they can't help you then try escalating. Ask your local police dept
    what their view is. Then go to the local paper. It would help if there are kids riding to school,
    but I guess that on the A6 they probably aren't.

    Peter.

    "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem
    > want to acknowledge my presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a
    car
    > going in the appropriate direction to trigger them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?
    >
    > I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    > low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    > them - my bike is a
    'gaspipe
    > special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar. Do I need to invest in a
    > superconducting electromagnet attachment ?
    >
    > Any idea if the light sensors are tunable and if so who do I talk to to
    get
    > them tuned to bikes ?
    >
    > Regards, John Wilton If no-one responds to this then I know its just me !

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    : Yes they can be tuned. Yes you can complain to the local council. No they won't do anything about
    : it. (IME)

    Depends on the council. York are excellent at doing this if asked.

    arthur

    Lord Lester

  13. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:54:47 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones scrawled: ) The scythes on the wheels are
    pretty good radar reflectors.

    Look, scythes aren't fitted as standard. If you're such a proponent then I advise getting the
    council to provide some sort of scythe grant for the underfunded like myself.

    J-P
    --
    James Ellroy's doppelganger was cornholed with the biggest vibrator I'd ever seen in Russia.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:54:47 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones scrawled: ) The scythes on the wheels are
    > pretty good radar reflectors.
    >
    > Look, scythes aren't fitted as standard. If you're such a proponent then I advise getting the
    > council to provide some sort of scythe grant for the underfunded like myself.

    Doesn't the University offer a deal on scythes if you get a bus pass to Blackbird Leys?

    Colin

  15. "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]htview.com>...
    > There is a set of traffic lights on the A6 near my house that don't seem to want to acknowledge my
    > presence on my bike. I either have to wait for a car going in the appropriate direction to trigger
    > them or carefully cross the junction.
    >
    > Has anyone any thoughts on the legality of cycling through them on red - should I get off and push
    > or is that also illegal ?

    Nope, dismounting and pushing is, as far as I know, perfectly OK; it's certainly the only way to
    legally get across the road on a pedestrians-only (as opposed to the ones with an extra bit for
    bikes) pelican crossing.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  16. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:33:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn scrawled: ) Doesn't the University offer a deal
    on scythes if you get a bus pass to ) Blackbird Leys?

    Yes: in line with the other great offers from the university, it's buy one, get another for the same
    price as the first.

    J-P
    --
    Permorphous polyvert

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:33:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn scrawled: ) Doesn't the University offer a deal
    > on scythes if you get a bus pass to ) Blackbird Leys?
    >
    > Yes: in line with the other great offers from the university, it's buy one, get another for the
    > same price as the first.

    I thought it was get three for the price of four.

    Tony

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    > low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to trigger
    > them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar.

    Try laying your bike over on the induction loops until it's almost flat. You obviously have to put a
    foot down but don't need to dismount fully to do this.

    --
    Dave...

  19. John Wilton

    John Wilton Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote in message ...
    >Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >:>
    >: Yes they can be tuned. Yes you can complain to the local council. No they won't do anything about
    >: it. (IME)
    >
    >Depends on the council. York are excellent at doing this if asked.
    >
    >arthur
    >
    >--
    >Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
    >Lord Lester

    After some phoning round to find the right person to talk to I have just been told by Area Traffic
    Control that they will adjust the setting. We shall see......

    Thanks for your help, John

  20. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 9 Apr 2003 08:37:57 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >"John Wilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I have tried weaving backwards and forwards over the induction loops while pedalling rapidly in a
    >> low gear as suggested in a previous thread but with no response. Any other ideas on how to
    >> trigger them - my bike is a 'gaspipe special' that probably has more steel in it than a SmartCar.
    >
    >Try laying your bike over on the induction loops until it's almost flat. You obviously have to put
    >a foot down but don't need to dismount fully to do this.

    Is this done by careering upto the lights at full whack, slamming the steering over and yanking on
    the back brake? What we called a "broadie" when I was a lad and it was all field round here? I
    rather hope so.

    Tim