Traffic Light Poll

Originally posted by ozintokyo
Wow - I am truly amazed at how many people stop for traffic lights!

I am even further amazed that some people are decidedly upset that some signals don't register the presence of a bicycle.

:D

I am confused. Why would you be amazed by how many people obey the law and not amazed by how many break it?

I sincerely wish that there were bicycle operator's licenses that could be revoked in the same way as automobile licenses.

Try any of the following for a week or two and see how long you still have a license:

Drive on the sidewalk.

Drive on the wrong side of the road.

Run every stoplight that you can possibly run without hitting someone.

Drive on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the road.

Run every stop sign that you can possibly run without hitting someone.

When some jerk in an automobile yells at me to "get off the road", he is not the ONLY one responsible for his behaviour, blame must also go to the 90% of cyclists that he sees every day, all of who are riding on the sidewalk and to the 5% who ride in an illegal manner on the street and therefore shouldn't be allowed there (wrong-siders, light runners, etc.)

I so wish that the same rules really DID apply to cyclists: run lights and ride on sidewalks and you will first get tickets, then lose your license, and then if you continue to ride at all, go to jail.:mad:

My amazement lies in how so many people follow the law, even if the law makes little practical sense.

Of course I understand the necessity of laws, and I even agree that these laws in relation to traffice lights etc should exist to enforce their purpose, that of safety to individuals and the regulation of traffic. Where the law is NOT REQUIRED to be enforced or followed is when not obeying the law causes no disruption to the flow of traffic, nor causes any danger to any individual.

I believe that it is the spirit of the law that should be obeyed, rather than the strict letter of the law that needs be obeyed.

It is my observation that a good number of police have generally the same attitude. (The story from tcklyde not withstanding of course!) :)

In the state of NJ you have to follow the same laws as motor vehicles. If you run a red light, disregard a stop sign, failure to signal for turn, etc... you can be ticketed.

Ron

Even more than traffic conditions influencing my decision, it's whether or not I feel any need to practice my track stand.

here in oregon they passed a law that cyclists can go through a stop sign at a safe speed. I cna't remember what dumb thing happened to cause it. but if there are no cars at a 4way I go through without stopping.

Be smart. Stop at lights.

If it is long, and no traffic, how bad is a right, u-turn, right to get through it?

Another question is stop signs... I got wrecked by someone running a stop sign, but I still slip through them sometimes. Maybe my dog learns better than I do.

Originally posted by sandiegosteve
Be smart. Stop at lights.

If it is long, and no traffic, how bad is a right, u-turn, right to get through it?

Another question is stop signs... I got wrecked by someone running a stop sign, but I still slip through them sometimes. Maybe my dog learns better than I do.

Interesting diversity. Stopping at lights = smart. Stopping at signs = optional. Hmm, I can't recommend that people fail to comply with traffic control devices but sometimes the intersection is so completely and obviously clear. And, as mentioned many times, the lights rarely detect bicycles. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

:)

I will run lights, but only if I have satisfied myself that there is nothing coming.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm an impatient bugger. :p.

I'm with SomeGuy here. I don't know why it is, but I just cannot even imagine waiting at traffic lights on my bike if it is obvious that the way is clear. It seems pointless.

I will often wait at large, complicated traffic lights, but that is simply because I cannot then be certain that all ways are clear.

I recently did our clubs pie ride. Where we ride to a shop that specializes in baking great pies. As one of ride leaders, I was riding from the rear when I was caught at a traffic light. I simply go off the bike and walked across the intersecion since there were no cars coming. Then I got back on and caught the group.

Chris Daigle
Broussard Louisiana, USA

bikinchris - that is a very interesting comment that I would like you expand on if you wouldnt mind.

You mentioned that you got off your bike and walked across the intersection and then got back on again - why? Is walking against a traffic light every bit as much against the law as riding through it on a bicycle?

I can understand this being done with a motorcycle - I have seen it often here.

I always wait. Doesn't cost anything, except a few seconds, and breaking a red light risks trouble with the law, an accident (no-one's perfect, right), and earning the contempt of motorists, which does cycling in general no favours. If for some reason I absolutely cannot wait, e.g. if I am following someone and I will get lost if I do not stick with them, I get off, get on the pavement, walk past the lights and then get back on the bike. Technically legal, although not exactly in the spirit of the law.

While I do occasionally roll though pedestian lights if I can see that the peds using them have already crossed, I do largely stick to the letter of the law. Now I consider myself to be a capable, intelligent adult who can cross a road without endangering myself and others. The problem with me ignoring the laws that I feel I'm bright enough to do without is that almost EVERYONE who breaks a law like that feels that they're doing so in a reasonable manner, including drink drivers, people breaking the speed limit by a significant margin, people who decide that they should be entitled to take the law into their own hands and beat the snot out of someone else etc etc. Clearly, there's a good portion of the population that's NOT capable of thinking for themselves in many circumstances. If I break the law, regardless, of how careful and capable I may be, then why shouldn't they? Your judgement of your own capability is far from objective. So I follow the law because I expect others to. Incidentally, this is why I support gun control. You and I might be responsible enough to own a firearm and never use it in an inappropriate manner, but take a walk around your local shopping mall and ask yourself if you really want everyone in there armed... </rant>

On SUnday morning ride, I came up to a redlight that had a van sitting at it.

The driver was talking on thier cell phone. I did not see any crosstraffic I went through (after stopping)

The van went through when I did, the light was still red.

Luckly there was no other traffic for this to be a problem and the driver should have watched the light and not me going through.

Ever since then I stop and wait for the light just so I am not the cause of an accident

Is walking against a traffic light every bit as much against the law as riding through it on a bicycle?

This light is on a switch and would not have changed for me until about 4 minutes at least. That is if I would have run over the switch many times. It also does not have a controlled cross walk. And if there are no cars coming at all it is not illegal to cross by foot.

Well, unfortunately for some of us, most drivers where i live could care less if there is a bike on the side of the rode. If they don't give cyclists the same right-of-way as they receive, why should we try to be kind to them. Most of the cops around here don't care as long as they cyclist doesn't cause accidents.

I'm not saying to go blowing through every stop light/sign you see. Use your own judgement to determine whether or not to stop.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
I always wait. Doesn't cost anything, except a few seconds, and breaking a red light risks trouble with the law, an accident (no-one's perfect, right), and earning the contempt of motorists, which does cycling in general no favours. If for some reason I absolutely cannot wait, e.g. if I am following someone and I will get lost if I do not stick with them, I get off, get on the pavement, walk past the lights and then get back on the bike. Technically legal, although not exactly in the spirit of the law.

Right there with you...it's cost nothing and buys a micro-nano-gram of good will for cyclists in general, which of course will get completely trampled by the next nignog sidewalk cruiser who runs down a little old lady....

Gee, folks, won't it be great when there's enough of us out there that we aren't each and individually representatives of the **entire** cycling community.

Gee, folks, won't it be great when there's enough of us out there that we aren't each and individually representatives of the **entire** cycling community. [/B]

this day may fast be approaching. I hope. who knows!!!!!!

I dream of a traffic jam of bikes on my commute to work.

DREAM of it.

:)

My philosophy is the same whether I'm in my car or on my bike..No Cop, No Stop!

I always slow down for lights, but if the intersection is empty and no one is coming you gotta go. It's the same if you were walking, do you wait for the little walk signal, or do you go when it's safe? I go when it's safe.