Traffic Protection

valentin84

Mar 22, 2012
I ride to work on the road while it's still dark outside. Had a few close calls with cars and now I'm starting to think that maybe some light protection would be the way to go. Do any of you guys ride on the road with a spine protector? I'm mainly wondering about a light full faced helmet. I'm wanting more than a standard bike helmet, but I don't want a huge / heavy motocross helmet either. What do you guys use? Any suggestions?

On my motorcycle I would always ride with full leathers, spine protector and full face. Frankly speaking on my bicycle I am an abyssmal role model occasionally not wearing a helmet or even gloves. But always a bicycle helmet and gloves on rainy days, when riding in traffic, or racing.

When I first got my spine protector I used to enjoy throwing myself in full gear against the wall for ***** and giggles. I once tried doing the same without the S/P just to see the difference, needless to say I never rode a motorcycle again without one. The spine is a fragile piece of hardware relatively speaking. I'd be hard pressed to use one on a bicycle though.

I am pretty sure that armor will be of little help in a bike vs. car scenario. Making yourself as visible as possible and driving defensively are your best bet.

What light do you guys suggest? I dont really want to spend more than $50-$60 unless I absolutely have to...