Traffic Violations Of Cyclists

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
We live in a town near that mountainous city of Antipolo, the haven of cyclists. During weekends, it is common to see groups of cyclists from Metro Manila trekking up the zigzag road to that city. That road trip of about 30 kilometers is the acid test for new bikes or new bikers.

I normally see those cyclists stopping when the lights become red. But there are cyclists who would turn right and make a detour in order to bypass that stop light. That's a clear violation of traffic regulations.

That happens everywhere. Many cyclists do that because they don't have a licence plate, but they forget that if they are on the road they need to follow rules for the safety of everyone.

I saw no cyclist on my way in , as usual, but saw several offences being committed by drivers and two motorcycle riders have been killed in the last week here locally. In one incident the bikers were racing.

Reactions: Sunflogun
I guess there is hardly a rider out there who has failed to stop at a light or sign if it was perceived safe to do that / the temptation to keep the momentum is just too strong.

I do it on almost every ride. As long as you slow down, and check for traffic, and don't just blow through the light or sign, the cops around here don't care. They don't even pull cars over for the rolling, or "Idaho" stop.

Ok, I almost never stop - but I'm doing 90% of my riding between 3 and 6 am and there is little to no traffic during that timeframe especially Sat and Sun mornings.

Darwin...His awards ceremonies are always making the daily news.

mpre53 said:
I do it on almost every ride. As long as you slow down, and check for traffic, and don't just blow through the light or sign, the cops around here don't care. They don't even pull cars over for the rolling, or "Idaho" stop.
I don't know how you do that there but over here it is a dangerous stunt even if you slow down and look on both sides. A rider should stop when it is a traffic stop because accidents happen on those occasions. There was this speeding truck that had lost its brakes and there was the bike zooming past the red light. You can guess what happened next. It was fortunate that the rider was only sideswiped and not directly hit by the truck which later on hit the establishment in the corner. As the newscaster said, stop when it is a stop.

jhuskey said:
I saw no cyclist on my way in , as usual, but saw several offences being committed by drivers and two motorcycle riders have been killed in the last week here locally. In one incident the bikers were racing.
This is true, drivers commit far more driving offenses than cyclists, not to mention that a car is far more dangerous than a bike.

Sunflogun said:
This is true, drivers commit far more driving offenses than cyclists, not to mention that a car is far more dangerous than a bike.

I have seen the haters post about incidents where two bikes collided and killed one of the cyclists, and this has happened how often? Once maybe but happens daily with autos. Most experienced cyclist I know are very cautious and aware. They use the common sense approach. They know they are at a disadvantage. It is not a contest, it is a compromise as in all things.

Reactions: Sunflogun
I ride the same route most days. From time to time I am not paying attention and simply ride through a red light. I am aware there is a road and check for traffic, but I simply miss the fact that there is a light until I am across the road. It is so embarrassing - even when there is no one around.

But I do see a lot of cyclists violate the law.

I have been cited for obstructing traffic a couple times. Once an a divided highway with no traffic except me and the law enforcement officer.

Alf Engers, time trialist par excellence back in the 70's in England (he did a 49 minute 25m TT on a road bike with aero nothing) once copped for a speeding ticket in a time trial on a descent.

Legend!

King Alf!

engers2.jpg

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
jhuskey said:
I have seen the haters post about incidents where two bikes collided and killed one of the cyclists, and this has happened how often? Once maybe but happens daily with autos. Most experienced cyclist I know are very cautious and aware. They use the common sense approach. They know they are at a disadvantage. It is not a contest, it is a compromise as in all things.
I agree that it is a rare occurrence when 2 cyclists collide resulting in death. To me, it looks like a freak accident to cause death. Over here, it's not really the private autos but the public utilities that are causing accidents. Just a while ago there is a news that a speeding jeepney hit a tricycle (motorcycle with side car) killing the tricycle's driver in the process. And in the interview, the jeepney driver is insisting that he had slowed down and it was the tricycle's fault. You can imagine when that happens to a cyclist - jeepney hitting a rider, oh, oh.

jhuskey said:
Pretty much, when riding a bike we are more careful because the sense of awareness is bigger. Also:

traffic-deaths.gif

There will be dummies on any vehicle, bikes no exception. Sucks that they give us all a bad name.
In my are the worst traffic offenders are those stupid electric scooters.
You don't need any kind of paperwork for them or insurance. They drive like they own the streets and sidewalks.

I think that since we're suppose to follow the rules of the road as a car must then we should be ticketed like a car if we disobey a rule, unless of course there is some specific rule that excludes bicycles and not cars.

I got out of a traffic ticket twice in my lifetime on a bicycle. Once I was doing 35 in an active school zone captured on radar, the judge, who knew me quite well from automotive antics, read the citation and laughed so hard he let me go. The other time I ran a stop sign coming down a mountain road, the cop attempted to pull me over in his cruiser but as I prepared to get off the side of the road I saw a trail leading into a forest...I took the trail to financial freedom. The funny thing is about those tickets, is that they occurred when I was a lot younger, cops seem to pick on teens and 20 somethings, once I got past those years cops just don't seem to care as much anymore, and in Fort Wayne where I live now cops don't care if a cyclist is a teen or not and are riding like an insane moron breaking every rule known, they won't ticket them.

@sunflogun, if that chart is accurate then that means that we bikers and cyclists are the endangered species on the road. Perhaps there should be a law to give more protection to our fellow riders. I really didn't expect what the statistics would show.

Anyway, another bad habit of cyclists here is the towing of themselves by holding on to moving vehicles as if to save on pumping the pedal. A traffic cop said that it is a dangerous stunt and my cause accidents. But they don't give tickets to cyclists and bikers because they don't have a driver's license.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in Hawaii, anyone that comes to a intersection and is in the right lane, and wants to turn right, they can do once the make a complete stop and check for oncoming traffic. They need to stop no matter what. The laws of a car is the same for a bike. I know in the Philippines, they drive like mad men. It's called rolling stops, and if they don't stop they stick their front bumper in the middle of the intersection to let everyone know they have the right of way.

Corzhens said:
@sunflogun, if that chart is accurate then that means that we bikers and cyclists are the endangered species on the road. Perhaps there should be a law to give more protection to our fellow riders. I really didn't expect what the statistics would show.

Anyway, another bad habit of cyclists here is the towing of themselves by holding on to moving vehicles as if to save on pumping the pedal. A traffic cop said that it is a dangerous stunt and my cause accidents. But they don't give tickets to cyclists and bikers because they don't have a driver's license.
Yes, but at the same time it also means that there are far less bikers on the roads than drivers for example, in most countries most people never ride the bike.

Let me just add a very dangerous stunt that bikers here usually do. They ride against the flow which we call counter-flow. Imagine if you are driving a car on the outer lane and suddenly here is a bike coming towards you. Would you stop? Naturally you would unless you intend to hit the biker. And in case you stop and yell at the biker for that dangerous stunt, he would yell back at you. Well?