Tragedy - Andrei Kivilev (Cofidis)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Trealaw Boy, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    Tags:

  2. That is so very, very sad.

    Sympathies to his family, friends and team mates.

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Very sad indeed. I feared the worst from the way he was motionless on the road. - With deepest
    sympathy for all Dan "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That is so very, very sad.
    >
    > Sympathies to his family, friends and team mates.
    >
    > helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. John B

    John B Guest

    Trealaw Boy wrote:

    > Andrei Kivilev (Cofidis) died of head injuries after crashing during the second stage of
    > Paris-Nice.
    >
    > More at http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/mar03/mar12news2

    This news is awful.

    It was specifically Andrei's riding in the 2001 Tour, when he finished 4th that made my son a fan of
    cofidis and indeed cycle racing. Since then he has followed Kivilev and Millar's results closely.
    Only the other day he was asking for a Cofidis jersey for his birthday to be like his heroes - and
    he rarely goes out without his Cofidis hat.

    I'm dreading my son finding out - he's just 10.

    Sometimes, just sometimes, life sucks big time. This is one of those times.

    Prayers and thoughts go out to Andrei's family.

    John B

  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "Dan Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Very sad indeed. I feared the worst from the way he was motionless on the road. - With deepest
    > sympathy for all Dan "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > That is so very, very sad.
    > >
    > > Sympathies to his family, friends and team mates.
    > >
    > > helen s
    > >

    > > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before
    sending
    > > reply!
    > >
    > > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    > keyboaRRRDdd
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~

    He didn't look good did he, a real shame! :-(

    --

    ---
    "I hardly think a nation that eats frogs and would go to bed with the kitchen sink if it put on a

  6. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    The BBC article stated he was not wearing a helmet. I hope this was not a contributory factor.

    --
    "Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
    above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" JRR Toliken, The Hobbit

  7. John B

    John B Guest

    andyp wrote:

    > The BBC article stated he was not wearing a helmet. I hope this was not a contributory factor.

    Even if it were held up as a case for compulsory helmet wearing, they are _already necessary_ in
    similar circumstances in the UK, ie massed-start racing.

    So I'm afraid no need for a h*lm*t thread.

    John B

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The BBC article stated he was not wearing a helmet. I hope this was not a contributory factor.

    It also says "Cofidis team doctor Jean-Jacques Menuet confirmed that a helmet would probably have
    saved Kivilev's life and called for the authorities to bring in stiffer safety measures". However,
    all the cyclists know the risks of their trade. This is not the first, nor last, death in
    competetive cycling.

    Condolences to his family.

  9. John B

    John B Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > The BBC article stated he was not wearing a helmet. I hope this was not a contributory factor.
    > >

    > It also says "Cofidis team doctor Jean-Jacques Menuet confirmed that a helmet would probably have
    > saved Kivilev's life and called for the authorities to bring in stiffer safety measures".

    In the UK helmets are _already_ compulsory for massed start cycle racing.

    John B

  10. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Please, let's not turn this into a helmet wars thread.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  11. Terry

    Terry Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Please, let's not turn this into a helmet wars thread.

    Here here!

    ---
    This is the worst moment of my entire life. I've spent my last penny on a cat-skin windcheater, I've
    just broken a priceless turnip and now I'm about to be viciously slaughtered by a naked Tunisian
    sock merchant. Blackadder III

  12. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

  13. On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:14:38 +0000 (UTC), Terry wrote:
    >> Please, let's not turn this into a helmet wars thread.
    >
    >Here here!

    What, you want the helmet war somewhere else?!

  14. Mr_rolfi

    Mr_rolfi Guest

    Jean Marie le Blanc said on Eurosport today they must now make the decision on helmets for the
    riders. As sad as this all is, it must be left at the riders discretion. David Duffield and Sean
    Kelly were careful not to bang on about the helmet theme. We all know the risks.

    --

    cheers,

    Dave Rollinson

    > Even if it were held up as a case for compulsory helmet wearing, they are _already necessary_ in
    > similar circumstances in the UK, ie massed-start racing.
    >
    > So I'm afraid no need for a h*lm*t thread.
    >
    > John B

  15. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    news:[email protected]... On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:14:38 +0000 (UTC),
    Terry wrote:
    >> Please, let's not turn this into a helmet wars thread.

    >What, you want the helmet war somewhere else?!

    This just isn't the thread for flippancy IMO ...

  16. On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:22:38 GMT, elyob wrote:
    >This just isn't the thread for flippancy IMO ...

    Maybe you're right, on the other hand; which thread ever is?

    It is a tragedy that Kivilev died, and my sympathies go to his family, but it was also just an
    unfortunate accident for which no-one was to blame or *maybe* he himself. A lot of people die every
    day, a few of them are cyclists, life goes on. I did not know the poor man and odds are no-one else
    here did. If you do feel touched by his death, act upon it. Maybe from now on you'd like to always
    wear a helmet, or maybe you want to pay your respects to Andre=EF and leave a message for his
    friends at http://www.cofidis.fr/credit/loisir/loi_cyc_messages_01

    E.

  17. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "mr_rolfi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jean Marie le Blanc said on Eurosport today they must now make the
    decision
    > on helmets for the riders. As sad as this all is, it must be left at the riders discretion. David
    > Duffield and Sean Kelly were careful not to bang
    on
    > about the helmet theme. We all know the risks.

    "We all know this risks" is not good enough. I do not believe that seat belt wearing nor crash
    helmet (on motorbikes) would be the "norm" today if they were not made compulsory. Knowing the risks
    is something but it is never the dead who have to pick up the pieces or have to try and explain how
    a preventative death occur.

    It was not by intent when I posted my initial response to start a helmet thread, on the other hand
    why not. If tragic events like this are not used as a catalyst for debate what can?

    AndyP

  18. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "andyp" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > "We all know this risks" is not good enough. I do not believe that seat belt wearing nor crash
    > helmet (on motorbikes) would be the "norm" today if they were not made compulsory.

    Indeed they were made compulsory amid claims that the law would dramatically reduce the death rate
    on the roads.

    This did not happen. There's lots of documentation on this, type "seat-belt legislation effect" into
    Google for example. Robert Davis' "Death on the Streets" contains a good summary of this.

    We should be aware of this before calling for other "safety" measures to be made compulsory.

    Toby

  19. John B

    John B Guest

    andyp wrote:

    > "mr_rolfi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jean Marie le Blanc said on Eurosport today they must now make the
    > decision
    > > on helmets for the riders. As sad as this all is, it must be left at the riders discretion.
    > > David Duffield and Sean Kelly were careful not to bang
    > on
    > > about the helmet theme. We all know the risks.
    > >
    > "We all know this risks" is not good enough. I do not believe that seat belt wearing nor crash
    > helmet (on motorbikes) would be the "norm" today if they were not made compulsory. Knowing the
    > risks is something but it is never the dead who have to pick up the pieces or have to try and
    > explain how a preventative death occur.
    >
    > It was not by intent when I posted my initial response to start a helmet thread, on the other hand
    > why not. If tragic events like this are not used as a catalyst for debate what can?

    Well as this is a UK ng and cycle helmets are *already* compulsory for massed start racing here,
    what point would you like to make?

    John B

  20. John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Well as this is a UK ng and cycle helmets are *already* compulsory for massed start racing here

    Hard-shell ones at that, too - the old "leather hairnet" ones are a no-no.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York