Tragedy

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John B, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. John B

    John B Guest

    Tags:

  2. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

  5. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    Dying is hard for everyone, especially in the sorrow of families afterwards.
    As I grow older the prospect of death shadows me constantly.

    Death from the unexpected in circumstances like these is always sad for
    those remaining behind and people struggle to express their feelings

    So here am I doing just that.

    James Berry was out on his bike doing his thing and very likely enjoying
    himself with friends when he was injured and killed -- out of the blue!

    Whilst the sorrow felt by his family will be overbearing at this time, and I
    mean this most sincerely, it is a good way to leave this life -- in full
    flow and without months/years of pain.

    Since I do not believe in God, I cannot offer a prayer for him

    But here on this NG I add his name. not a nameless news cutting.

    JAMES BERRY,
    who will be remembered by his friends

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > John B wrote:
    >> http://www.bcf.uk.com/news/2005/01_January06/01_James.shtml
    >>
    >> How awful.
    >> This news is shattering. Sincere condolences to family and friends.
    >>
    >> John B
    >>

    > Dear God thats horrible.
    >
    > Stan Cox

  6. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
    >On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:31:10 GMT, John B <[email protected]> said in
    ><[email protected]>:
    >
    >>This news is shattering.

    >Too true. Shocking, really shocking.

    Yes.

    So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    --
    Sue ]:(:)

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Sue White wrote:

    > So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    > for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    > all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    Or nuts not checking the wheel ;-)
    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:35:30 +0000, Sue White <[email protected]>
    said in <[email protected]>:

    >So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    >for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    >all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    I can't say I've seen that happen, though I understand it does from
    time to time (hence the little tabs that HGVs now commonly have).
    Having one come off and hit a road user not in a cage? That arguably
    is a freak accident.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  9. John B

    John B Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:35:30 +0000, Sue White <[email protected]>
    > said in <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    > >for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    > >all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    > I can't say I've seen that happen, though I understand it does from
    > time to time (hence the little tabs that HGVs now commonly have).
    > Having one come off and hit a road user not in a cage? That arguably
    > is a freak accident.

    ISTR that there are no MOTs on the IOM.

    John B

  10. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Sue White wrote:
    > >
    > > So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    > > for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    > > all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.
    > >

    > Or nuts not checking the wheel ;-)
    > --
    > Tony
    >
    > "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    > right."
    > - Lord Hailsham

    I don't remember the exact figures but every time the provincial police
    here do a large truck safety check (HGV?) we have about 20-25% fail
    with many being immediately towed, not driven, away. I hope inspections
    are better in the UK :(
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  11. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Sue White wrote:

    > So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    > for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    > all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    Is this a confession?

    There are many scenarios in which a wheel can come off an HGV, loose
    wheelnuts is only one.
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  12. badger

    badger Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    >>So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    >>for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    >>all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.

    > I can't say I've seen that happen, though I understand it does from
    > time to time (hence the little tabs that HGVs now commonly have).
    > Having one come off and hit a road user not in a cage? That arguably
    > is a freak accident.
    >
    > Guy

    Was it even in use? I've seen truck wheels lying in the road (late night
    motorway run with main beams on otherwise I'd have hit it, which begs
    the question why do so many drivers only use dipped?) and dad had one
    fall off the top of a passing truck bounce over him!
    Not all truck drivers carry properly secured spares...

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    badger wrote:

    > Not all truck drivers carry properly secured spares...

    ....or loads

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. M-gineering wrote:
    > Sue White wrote:
    >

    > > So shocking that nobody's questioned the description "freak accident"
    > > for a wheel falling off an HGV - that's not a freak accident, it's an
    > > all-too-common result of not checking the wheel nuts.
    > >

    > Is this a confession?
    >
    > There are many scenarios in which a wheel can come off an HGV, loose
    > wheelnuts is only one.
    > --
    > ---
    > Marten Gerritsen

    Loose wheel nuts is most likely - HGV near side nuts would tend to
    loosen so are usually left hand threaded. Occasionally a right hand hub
    is fitted by mistake such as after brake maintenance. If this isn't
    rectified then wheels get lost - sometimes without the driver being
    aware of anything if there are two wheels on the hub. So it's
    negligence.

    Jacob

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    badger wondered:
    > (late night
    > motorway run with main beams on otherwise I'd have hit it, which begs
    > the question why do so many drivers only use dipped?)

    Erm, perhaps to avoid dazzling other drivers, as required by common
    courtesy and by HC rule 94?

    I hate those idiots who use full beam on the motorway when I happen to
    be either ahead of them, or travelling in the opposite direction on the
    other side of the motorway.

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

  16. "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > badger wondered:
    >> (late night motorway run with main beams on otherwise I'd have hit it,
    >> which begs the question why do so many drivers only use dipped?)

    > Erm, perhaps to avoid dazzling other drivers, as required by common
    > courtesy and by HC rule 94?
    >
    > I hate those idiots who use full beam on the motorway when I happen to be
    > either ahead of them, or travelling in the opposite direction on the other
    > side of the motorway.

    Very occasionally it's possible and necessary to. Normally there are indeed
    other cars to light things up.

    --
    Ambrose

  17. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> badger wondered:
    >>
    >>> (late night motorway run with main beams on otherwise I'd have hit
    >>> it, which begs the question why do so many drivers only use dipped?)

    >> Erm, perhaps to avoid dazzling other drivers, as required by common
    >> courtesy and by HC rule 94?
    >>
    >> I hate those idiots who use full beam on the motorway when I happen to
    >> be either ahead of them, or travelling in the opposite direction on
    >> the other side of the motorway.

    > Very occasionally it's possible and necessary to. Normally there are
    > indeed other cars to light things up.

    Here we have ambulances which have, besides enough flashing lights to
    kitt out a disco, a relay alternating dipped and main beams. I think
    it's 'the looking for business mode'

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I hate those idiots who use full beam on the motorway when I happen to
    > be either ahead of them, or travelling in the opposite direction on the
    > other side of the motorway.

    <aol> Me too! </aol>

    --
    Tony

    "Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence
    of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones."
    - Bertrand Russell