Trail damage/shock absorbers/suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terri Alvillar

I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
suspension with damage to terrain? Is the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock
absorbing technology on the vehicle? Terri Alvillar

Terri says:

>I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
>suspension with damage to terrain?

I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage. You might want to try a
road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure the study has been done for cars at some point.
Either way, you're just going to find that the more gonzo riders have more cush, and therefore do
less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?

Steve

"Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Terri says:
|
| >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
| >suspension with damage to terrain?
|
| I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage. You might want to try a
| road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure
the
| study has been done for cars at some point. Either way, you're just going to find that the more
| gonzo riders have more cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?
|
| Steve

Up to a point I am sure that is correct.

However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these masses of wooden structures
via cutting down local trees etc... They are built mainly by people with full suspension bikes. Is
this not trail damamage?

I am not against this just wanted to point it out.

Simon

[email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
> suspension with damage to terrain? Is the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock
> absorbing technology on the vehicle? Terri Alvillar

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction? Terri Alvillar

Terri Alvillar <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote in message
> > I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
> > suspension with damage to terrain? Is the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock
> > absorbing technology on the vehicle? Terri Alvillar
>
>
> Every action has an equal and opposite reaction? Terri Alvillar

Please, if you wish to take this further, do study up on suspension design, action, and especially
'shock absorbers' - they do just what it says, that is, 'absorb shock', not absorb it then dish it
straight back out into the ground.

Shaun aRe - get down with the physics of it, yo.

In article <[email protected]>, "Simon"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | Terri says:
> |
> | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
> | >suspension with damage to terrain?
> |
> | I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage. You might want to try a
> | road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure
> the
> | study has been done for cars at some point. Either way, you're just going to find that the more
> | gonzo riders have more cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?
> |
> | Steve
>
> Up to a point I am sure that is correct.
>
> However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these masses of wooden structures
> via cutting down local trees etc... They are built mainly by people with full suspension bikes. Is
> this not trail damamage?
>
> I am not against this just wanted to point it out.
>
> Simon
>
>

Please post your data regarding what type of bikes the bridge builders are riding. I would like
to read it.

Dave in Minnesota

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> | Terri says:
> |
> | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
> |
> | I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage.
You
> | might want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure
> the
> | study has been done for cars at some point. Either way, you're just going to find that the more
> | gonzo riders have
more
> | cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?
> |
> | Steve
>
>
> However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these
masses
> of wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built mainly by people with full
> suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage?
>
>
> Simon
>
>
During our local IMBA trail maintenance school, we where told that the bridges and platforms were
necessary to avoid removing trees, and creating trails that could wash out due to the dampness of
the soil/air. I would think the wooden structures are an asset and not a detriment to the
surroundings. It's pretty dense and wooded in the area and the structures weave in an out of the
natural obstacles.

Lance

Lance

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> | Terri says:
> |
> |
> | I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage.
You
> | might want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure
> the
> | gonzo riders have
more
> | cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?
> |
> | Steve
>
>
> However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these
masses
> of wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built mainly by people with full
> suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage?
>
>
> Simon
>
>

My understanding of the North Shore it is in a rainforest and the wooden structures carry riders
over the muddy forest floor. There is a ready supply of fallen cedar trees that split well into
slats for bridges and resist rotting in the wet weather. Ok, so they got a little carried away with
them but for the most part they actually prevent erosion.

Mike

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|
| Terri Alvillar <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote in message
| news:<[email protected]>...
| > > I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers
| > > and suspension with damage to terrain? Is the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of
| > > shock absorbing technology on the vehicle? Terri Alvillar
| >
| >
| > Every action has an equal and opposite reaction? Terri Alvillar
|
| Please, if you wish to take this further, do study up on suspension
design,
| action, and especially 'shock absorbers' - they do just what it says, that is, 'absorb shock', not
| absorb it then dish it straight back out into the ground.
|
|
| Shaun aRe - get down with the physics of it, yo.

Otherwise they would ride like pogo sticks.

Would look funny tho'

Simon

"Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, "Simon"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > | Terri says:
> > |
> > | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers
> > | >and suspension with damage to terrain?
> > |
> > | I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage.
You
> > | might want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm
sure
> > the
> > | study has been done for cars at some point. Either way, you're just going to find that the
> > | more gonzo riders have
more
> > | cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic,
no?
> > |
> > | Steve
> >
> > Up to a point I am sure that is correct.
> >
> > However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these
masses
> > of wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built mainly by people with
> > full suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage?
> >
> > I am not against this just wanted to point it out.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> >
>
>
> Please post your data regarding what type of bikes the bridge builders are riding. I would like to
> read it.
>
>
> Dave in Minnesota

"Bike" magazine. ;^)

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
|
| "Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > In article <[email protected]>, "Simon"
| > <[email protected]> wrote:
| >
| > > "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > > news:[email protected]...
| > > | Terri says:
| > > |
| > > | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers
| > > | >and suspension with damage to terrain?
| > > |
| > > | I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage.
| You
| > > | might want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm
| sure
| > > the
| > > | study has been done for cars at some point. Either way, you're just going to find that the
| > > | more gonzo riders
have
| more
| > > | cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic,
| no?
| > > |
| > > | Steve
| > >
| > > Up to a point I am sure that is correct.
| > >
| > > However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these
| masses
| > > of wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are
built
| > > mainly by people with full suspension bikes. Is this not trail
damamage?
| > >
| > > I am not against this just wanted to point it out.
| > >
| > > Simon
| > >
| > >
| >
| >
| > Please post your data regarding what type of bikes the bridge builders are riding. I would like
| > to read it.
| >
| >
| > Dave in Minnesota
|
| "Bike" magazine. ;^)
|
| Mike
|
|
lol.........yes, we get that here in UK too

Simon

"Dave Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| In article <[email protected]>,
| "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| > "Bike" magazine. ;^)
| >
| > Mike
|
| Post it.
|
| Dave

You seem to have missed my point. Albeit badly put.

Yes I have helped build trails, jumps etc. I have also helped clean them of litter, dog **** and
obstacles foreign to natural trails. No medal required :eek:)

I was merely trying to say that IMHO people with larger travel bikes tend to want bigger stuff to
ride and as such venture of trail more and build structures bigger and higher.

Simon........like i said just my views and observations.

On 3 Apr 2003 21:30:56 -0800, [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote:

.I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike .equipment shock absorbers and
suspension with damage to terrain? Is .the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock
absorbing .technology on the vehicle?

Yes. By Newton's laws of physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In other words,
the force applied to the ground (or anything else in their path, such as a plant, animal, or person)
is identical to the force applied to the bike. The reason that mountain bikes are built much
stronger than normal bikes is that they encounter much greater FORCES. Therefore, they apply much
greater forces to the ground & everything else in their path. QED

.Terri Alvillar

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On 04 Apr 2003 12:24:57 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

.Terri says: . .>I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike .>equipment shock
absorbers and suspension with damage to terrain? . .I think you'll find that the more shock
absorption, the less damage.

BS. Their added weight guarantees that they will cause more damage, due to their increased momentum.
They are also able go go much FASTER, which also increases their momentum and hence the force they
apply. QED

You .might want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure the .study has been
done for cars at some point. .Either way, you're just going to find that the more gonzo riders
have more .cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no?

No, it's obviously FALSE.

.Steve

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

"Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> e-posturbated in message
> [email protected] (Terri Alvillar) wrote in message
> > I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike equipment shock absorbers and
> > suspension with damage to terrain? Is the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock
> > absorbing technology on the vehicle? Terri Alvillar
>
>
> Every action has an equal and opposite reaction? Terri Alvillar

That's correct. You talk; discerning people gag.

Bill "just tell Mike the conclusions you want, and he'll do the 'studies' for you" S.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:42:31 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .| Terri says: .| .| >I wonder if any studies
have been done to correlate mountain bike .| >equipment shock absorbers and suspension with damage
to terrain? .| .| I think you'll find that the more shock absorption, the less damage. You .| might
want to try a road-building website for info on that, as I'm sure .the .| study has been done for
cars at some point. .| Either way, you're just going to find that the more gonzo riders have more .|
cush, and therefore do less damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no? .| .| Steve . .Up to a point
I am sure that is correct. . .However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these
masses .of wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built .mainly by people
with full suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage? . .I am not against this just wanted to
point it out.

So your email about teaching people to protect the environment was all a LIE, eh? You guys are
transparent!

.Simon .

===

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:26:33 GMT, "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> .> "Stephen Baker"
<[email protected]> wrote in message .> news:[email protected]...
.> | Terri says: .> | .> | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike .> |
>equipment shock absorbers and suspension with damage to terrain? .> | .> | I think you'll find that
the more shock absorption, the less damage. .You .> | might want to try a road-building website for
info on that, as I'm sure .> the .> | study has been done for cars at some point. .> | Either way,
you're just going to find that the more gonzo riders have .more .> | cush, and therefore do less
damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no? .> | .> | Steve .> .> Up to a point I am sure that is
correct. .> .> However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these .masses .> of
wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built .> mainly by people with full
suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage? .> .> I am not against this just wanted to point it
out. .> .> Simon .> .> .During our local IMBA trail maintenance school, we where told that the
.bridges and platforms were necessary to avoid removing trees, and creating .trails that could wash
out due to the dampness of the soil/air. I would .think the wooden structures are an asset and not a
detriment to the .surroundings. It's pretty dense and wooded in the area and the structures .weave
in an out of the natural obstacles.

But to be HONEST, there is more damage with those built than wothiut them.

.Lance . .Lance .

===

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:38:41 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> .> "Stephen Baker"
<[email protected]> wrote in message .> news:[email protected]...
.> | Terri says: .> | .> | >I wonder if any studies have been done to correlate mountain bike .> |
>equipment shock absorbers and suspension with damage to terrain? .> | .> | I think you'll find that
the more shock absorption, the less damage. .You .> | might want to try a road-building website for
info on that, as I'm sure .> the .> | study has been done for cars at some point. .> | Either way,
you're just going to find that the more gonzo riders have .more .> | cush, and therefore do less
damage on the same line. Kinda ironic, no? .> | .> | Steve .> .> Up to a point I am sure that is
correct. .> .> However, if you look at north shore and all the trends to build these .masses .> of
wooden structures via cutting down local trees etc... They are built .> mainly by people with full
suspension bikes. Is this not trail damamage? .> .> I am not against this just wanted to point it
out. .> .> Simon .> .> . .My understanding of the North Shore it is in a rainforest and the wooden
.structures carry riders over the muddy forest floor. There is a ready .supply of fallen cedar trees
that split well into slats for bridges and .resist rotting in the wet weather. Ok, so they got a
little carried away .with them but for the most part they actually prevent erosion.

BS. NOT MOUNTAINM BIKING is the way to prevent erosion. DUH!

.Mike .

===

You are more full of **** than a Christmas Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.