Trail damage/shock absorbers/suspension

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:29:40 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>. But bikers cause a lot MORE damage. .> .> .> .More than whom? Where are
the data? Give data from reliable sources.

Many mountain bikers have claimed that they have data proving that MTB & hiking have equal
impacts. But they only looked at impact per mile, and ignore distance travelled. Therefore, since
bikers travel several times as far as hikers, they have several times as much impact. QED based on
your own data!

.Alla time yell, yell, yell, but there's no data. .There can be no useful inquiry into the situation
without data & you .thus far have offered none. . .Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:40:11 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>On 7 Apr 2003 06:44:38 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax)
wrote: .> There is no total amount of force that has to .>."land" on the trail. Energy _is_
conserved. .> .Are you ready for this? (I suspect not.) . .>With a suspension, some of .>.the energy
that would have gone into trail erosion or the rider's .>.brakes ends up dissipated as heat by the
damping in the suspension. .> .He IS right, you know. Friction among parts of the system is a great
.energy sink.

I hate to disappoint you, but no amount of friction can change the force of gravity. DUH!

.>That has NOTHING to do with the force on the ground. The force of gravity is .>greater .>
.This would come as a great surprise to Newton; his physics required that .the force of gravity
remain constant.

You obviously know NOTHING about physics. Gravity is an ACCELERATION, NOT a force. DUH! F = ma. DUH!

.>(because the suspension adds weight). .> .You mean mass. By itself, greater mass is meaningless;
it must be .coupled with angular momentum before there's anything going on.

Now you are talking pure nonsense. Thanls for demonstrating just how ignorant mountain bikers are.

.> The horizontal force is greater, .>because the suspension lets the rider more comfortably .> .A
while ago, you were tearing the rider's nuts off. Even, apparently, .the female riders.

No, mountain bikers don't have any.

.>ride faster. .> .This is an unsupported generality

No, it's a FACT.

.>And the .>greater weight gives the bike more momentum .> .Weight (you mean mass) is one component,
angular momentum is another. .The combination of the two produces an action.

More nonsense.

.Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:00:05 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .| On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:33:12 +0100, "Simon"
<[email protected]> .| wrote: .<snip that which mv cant understand> .| .|
.Simon........doesnt the fact you ride a bike on paved streets negate your .| .whole ethos and
arguments anyway? .| .| Why? I don't harm any wildlife there. .| === . .So the laying of streets and
towns over "natural habitat" has caused no .damage to wildlife?

Non sequitur. I don't advocate paving. In fact, I advocate depaving. If you had read my web site, as
you claimed, you would know that.

.Interesting . .Simon .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:01:45 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:03:56 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote: .>
.>.Mike Vandeman wrote: .>. .>.> .>.>Your inability to understand even "DUH" puts you in a class by
yourself. .>.>Special, as in "Special Olympics". .>.> .>.> .>.> .>.> .>.My understanding of such
poor usage is quite complete. And your ad .>.hominem tactics seriously erode any chance of
credibility. I suggest you .>.refine your techniques after consulting the list of logical fallacies
.>.which is neatly presented here: .>. .>.http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm .>. .>.Since
you are known to violate a goodly number of them, you might just .>.gain a thing or two by becoming
familiar with the rules you flout so .>.flamboyantly. .> .>As usual, you claim something vague. If
you had to be SPECIFIC about what I said .>wrong, it would be obvious that you are full of it. .> .>
.> .> .I rest my case.

Your "case" NEEDS a rest. :) It is all tuckered out. No, PETERED out.

.Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:22:48 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>.No need to swear. .>.You are correct. The bike DOES hit with full force.
But, as I explained, .>.the impact is spread across a wider area and period of time with suspension.
.>.As others have also said, the total force remains the same but the force on .>.any particular
piece of trail is less. .> .>So the force of gravity is less in some places? .> .Not what he said at
all. Westie never mentioned gravity nor needed to. . .F(orce) equals the product of M(ass) and
A(cceleration). Had you .fogotten? There's no gravity in that equation.

Gravity IS an acceleration. DUH!

.>I got straight As in Honors Physics from the greatest University in the world .>(especially in
physics) -- U.C. Berkeley. .> .As opinionated a statement as has appeared in these threads for quite
.some time. As I suggested, it indicates that you passed the courses, not .that you necessarily
learned anything.

So my professors were ignorant when they gave me an A? I doubt it.

.Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:26:29 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 05:48:33 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote: .>
.>.So! It might appear that the manner in which the bike is ridden is, .>.after all, a variable.
That's something dozens of posters have tried to .>.get across to you. .> .>Right. And suspension
bikes allow the rider to go faster, .> .And just how do you compute this particular generality?

It's obvious. What do you think suspension is for?!

And, even given .the "allow," it's problematic whether there's any coercion to do so. . .> hence
hit the trail .>with greater force. .> .This need not follow, even if your above generality should
prove to be .the case. . .> DUH! .> .> .> .Again with the juvenile idiom. . .Pete H

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:36:38 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

.> .>That defies the laws of physics. Both are equal. .> .... .> .>It adds greater weight, hence
greater force on the ground (vertically & .>horizontally, since they are also ridden faster). .> .
.Hmmm, this thread does bring a smile to my face. I'm can't recall where Mr .Vandeman's got his
physics qualification, somewhere well respected I assume, but .I seemed to have taken in more from
my Tertiary course here in the UK (aged .16-17). . .OK - this is how a shock absorber works.

How it works is irrelevant. The fact that it ADDS WEIGHT implies that it increases the force (of
gravity) on the ground. DUH!

.A bike travelling forward hits a bump with the front wheel. . .On a non-suspended bike, the whole
force of that contact is transferred through .the tyre (which has a slight damping effect, but for
the sake of argument, lets .assume you are running wooden wheels!), forks, and riders arms, and
indeed there .is an equal and opposite force transferred into the ground. (The ground it .attempting
to lift the entire weight of rider+bike) . .Now, on a suspended fork, the force of the contact is
actually transferred into .a deforming force of the spring initially, and then is partially
disappated as .heat, the compression of a gas, and sound in the shock 'absorbing' parts of the
.fork. Only a portion of the force is returned to the ground.

BS. Unless you have eliminated gravity, the force is greater than that of a lighter bike. The TIME
of action may be delayed, but eventually, the full force of the bike's total weight gets applied to
the ground.

(Now, I know not .all forks have springs, sometimes its air, or elastomer, but the effect is the
.same) . .Effectively, the rider+frame are treated as a seperate body to the wheel+fork. .They are
both travelling forward with the same speed, and when a bump is .contacted, the wheel and fork
obtain a vertical accelleration which is protected .from the rider. The rider and frame still only
have the forward motion. (or .actually a tiny downward motion with gravity, but ironically enough -
the faster .the rider is going, and the better the shock absorbing technology, the less that .force
will be !)

BS. Gravity doesn't change.

.Use this as an analogy. You are standing still holding a spring which is 50% .compressed by the
weight of a bowling ball on top. In the other hand you have a .stick with a bowling ball on top. If
you quickly jerk upwards with the stick .holding hand, you have to move everything up with a force
equal and opposite to .the weight of the stick and ball, and your hand hurts... If you jerk upwards
.with the spring holding hand, initially, to spring will compress further, and .the ball will remain
unmoved. The point being that that initial jerk upwards its .translated not into the kinetic energy
of the bowling ball, but into a deforming .force of the spring, and your hand doesnt hurt.

But you still feel the full weight (force) of the ball, eventually.

.But then again - I'm not a physicist, though a good friend of mine has a Masters .Degree in
Physics, and I'm sure he would like to get in on this discussion. . .... . .In fact - this is what
he has to say about the subject. This should really be .the last word - please... . .<CONTRIBUTION
BY Marmite (BSc MSc Physics Hons)> .Damage to the ground is directly related to pressure,

Pressure is irrelevant, since the AREA of contact (between suspension & non-suspension bikes) is the
same. The only relevant factor is the ADDED WEIGHT of the suspension, which adds weight (force &
pressure) to the ground.

which can be calculated by .dividing the Force by the Area of contact. A simple analogy is try
walking .through a flower bed with boots and stilletoes, how much impact does each of .them do? The
stilletoes will most likely sink straight in. In the case of the .boots the force will be spread
over a larger area causeing the pressure reduce .and stops you sinking into the ground (an extreme
example are snow boots).
. .In the case of a mountain bike, the area of contact is fixed (i.e the area of .contact of the
bike wheels), although the effective area of contact is larger, .which is due to the fact that the
bike isn't stationary, and any extra forces .acting on the ground are spread over the area of
distance travelled for the .duration the force is applied. When talking about damage to the
underlying .ground you also need to talk about the Force. The larger the force on the .ground, the
more the damage. Now looking at Newtons laws you can calculate the .generalistic difference in the
force between using shock absorbers and without.
. .N1 - A body will remain at constant velocity unless acted upon by an external .force. (i.e. the
acceleration of the bike relative to the ground is caused by .bumps etc.). .N2 - The force on the
body is directly proportional to the rate of change of .momentum (i.e. mass * acceleration. The
force on the bike is related to the .magnitude of the acceleration caused by the impact of bumps).
.N3 - Every force applied to a body is matched by an equal and opposite force .(i.e. the Force on
the bike = the force imposed on the ground).
. .If you don't have shock absorbers, the mass of the whole bike is accelerated .sharply by any
bumps in the ground, hence the forces experienced by the bike due .to that change in momentum (N2)
and the equal reaction force to the ground (N3) .are high.
. .In the case of shock absorbers, the change in velocity is applied over a longer .period, hence
the acceleration experienced by the wheels is less (acceleration = .change in velocity / time),
also for the most part, it is only the mass of the .wheels that accelerate up and down, and not
the whole mass of the bike.

BS. At some point, the spring stops moving (at its extreme extent or compression), and the full
force of the bike's weight (including the added weight of the suspension) is applied to the ground!
At that point, the suspension bike is applying a greater force to the ground. QED

.Therefore the actual change in momentum (N2) is less (as both the the mass and .the acceleration is
less), the comparative force applied on the bike and rider .(N2) are therefore lower (giving a
smoother ride) and hence reaction force and .damage applied to the ground (N3) is equally as low.
. .These fundamental laws are used in many other situations, for example crumple .zones and air bags
lower the damage to the driver and the other body involved, .by spreading the impact over a longer
time and hence lowering the force .experienced by the driver.

BS. Air bags don't protect one from gravity. Eventually, the air bag stops moving, & then only
gravity is working.

These fundamental properties in question here may .also be referred to as impulse. .</CONTRIBUTION>
. . . . .CandT

===

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:29:50 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:25:29 -0700, "Jeff
Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> . .> ."Terri Alvillar" <[email protected]> wrote in
message .> .news:[email protected]... .> .> "Jeff Strickland"
<[email protected]> wrote in message .> .news:<[email protected]>... .> .> > "Mike
Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .> .> >
news:[email protected]... .> .> > > On 3 Apr 2003 21:30:56 -0800,
[email protected] (Terri Alvillar) .wrote: .> .> > > .> .> > > .I wonder if any studies have been
done to correlate mountain bike .> .> > > .equipment shock absorbers and suspension with damage to
terrain? .Is .> .> > > .the damage to terrain commensurate with the level of shock .absorbing .> .>
> > .technology on the vehicle? .> .> > > .> .> > > Yes. By Newton's laws of physics, every action
has an equal and .> .opposite .> .> > > reaction. In other words, the force applied to the ground
(or .anything .> .> > else in .> .> > > their path, such as a plant, animal, or person) is identical
to the .> .force .> .> > > applied to the bike. The reason that mountain bikes are built much .> .>
> stronger than .> .> > > normal bikes is that they encounter much greater FORCES. Therefore, .>
.they .> .> > apply .> .> > > much greater forces to the ground & everything else in their path.
.QED .> .> > .> .> > Technically, a mountain bike with a shock absorber should have less .of .> .an
.> .> > impact than one without a shock absorber. Think of the words being .used .> .> > here, SHOCK
ABSORBER. A shock absorber absorbs shocks, therefore by .> .> > definition, less of an impact. .> .>
> .> .> > Think of the water barrels they (CalTrans or others) place on the .> .> > impact-side of a
sign or post. The sign or post might weigh more, but .> .the .> .> > impact upon objects that strike
the sign or post is lessened. In the .> .world .> .> > of bikes and dirt, the dirt is the object
that constantly stirkes the .> .bike .> .> > (trying to keep the analogy straight), or in other
words, the impact .of .> .the .> .> > bike striking the ground repeatedly is lessened because of the
shock .> .> > absorber. Newton's Law does not take into account the affects of .> .external .> .> >
forces, such as a shock absorber. .> .> .> .> .> .> So it seems the greater shock absorbing system
on a mountain bike, the .> .> greater damage is possible because one can travel at greater speeds .>
.> and displace more surface material when braking, skidding, and .> .> accelerating. .> . .>
.Technically, a bike with greater shock absorbing ability will do less .> .damage. Consider the
facts, if you dare. A bike is a moving object, and .the .> .impact each time it touches anything is
either directed at the point of .> .impact if no shock absorbsion system, or is spread across a wide
area if .> .there is a shock absorbsion system. If a tire is impacting the ground, .and .> .there is
a shock, then the impact is very slight at the point of impact, .and .> .is gradually spread over a
wide area. Try as hard as a rider might, a .shock .> .will lessen the burden of impact, that is the
whole point of having one. .> .> Pure hogwash. If a suspension bike is standing still, it already
has .greater .> impact, because it is heavier. So it also has greater impact when ridden. .Which .>
would you rather get hit by -- a regular, or suspension bike? Obviously, .the .> former, which is
much LIGHTER! DUH! . . .Why are we discussing the impact of a bike that is not even moving? A bike
.that is not moving, by definition has no impact.

BS. Put a nonmoving bike on top of an insect, and see how well it survives. DUH!

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

.
> .But standing still is nothing, it is simply standing still; this is no .different than a hiker at
> rest. You said that the shock absorber adds
shock
> .to the ground because it is heavy, the fact is that shocks are not that
much
> .heavier than the solid parts they replace, and because they acutally
absorb
> .shocks, then the impact on the ground is lessened.
>
> So you admit that shoch absorbers add weight! QED

No, I do not. And, I see no advantage to you in constantly changing the subject.

The fact remains, the weight of a bike depends greatly upon the materials used. A bike with a shock
can easily weigh less than a bike without a shock, given different materials used. Given two bikes
employing the same materials, one with a shock and one without, the one with a shock weighs within
two pounds of the bike without the shock, and the added benefit of the shock to disperse the impact
over a broader area -- thereby reducing the impact overall -- pays dividends in the area of habitat
protection.

You need to focus on either a moving bike or a bike at rest in order to have a meaningful
discussion, but anybody that thinks a shock absorber actually adds to the impact on the ground is
going to have difficulty with any meaningful discussions.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:02:56 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> > .> >That defies the laws of physics. Both
[...]
parts .of the .> fork. Only a portion of the force is returned to the ground. (Now, I know .not .>
all forks have springs, sometimes its air, or elastomer, but the effect is .the .> same) .> .>
Effectively, the rider+frame are treated as a seperate body to the .wheel+fork. .> They are both
travelling forward with the same speed, and when a bump is .> contacted, the wheel and fork obtain a
vertical accelleration which is .protected .> from the rider. The rider and frame still only have
the forward motion. .(or .> actually a tiny downward motion with gravity, but ironically enough -
the .faster .> the rider is going, and the better the shock absorbing technology, the .less that .>
force will be !) .> .> Use this as an analogy. You are standing still holding a spring which is .50%
.> compressed by the weight of a bowling ball on top. In the other hand you .have a .> stick with a
bowling ball on top. If you quickly jerk upwards with the .stick .> holding hand, you have to move
everything up with a force equal and .opposite to .> the weight of the stick and ball, and your hand
hurts... If you jerk .upwards .> with the spring holding hand, initially, to spring will compress
further, .and .> the ball will remain unmoved. The point being that that initial jerk .upwards its
.> translated not into the kinetic energy of the bowling ball, but into a .deforming .> force of the
spring, and your hand doesnt hurt. .> .> But then again - I'm not a physicist, though a good friend
of mine has a .Masters .> Degree in Physics, and I'm sure he would like to get in on this
.discussion. .> .> ... .> .> In fact - this is what he has to say about the subject. This should
really .be .> the last word - please... .> .> <CONTRIBUTION BY Marmite (BSc MSc Physics Hons)> .>
Damage to the ground is directly related to pressure, which can be .calculated by .> dividing the
[...]
whole mass of the bike. .> Therefore the actual change in momentum (N2) is less (as both the the
mass .and .> the acceleration is less), the comparative force applied on the bike and .rider .> (N2)
are therefore lower (giving a smoother ride) and hence reaction force .and .> damage applied to the
ground (N3) is equally as low. .> .> These fundamental laws are used in many other situations, for
example .crumple .> zones and air bags lower the damage to the driver and the other body .involved,
.> by spreading the impact over a longer time and hence lowering the force .> experienced by the
driver. These fundamental properties in question here .may .> also be referred to as impulse. .>
</CONTRIBUTION> .> .> .> .> .> CandT . .Well. That sums that up, don't it?

No, it's BS.

. I certainly ain't got no more to say about that. ;-)

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:58:18 +0000, Terri Alvillar wrote:
>
> > So it seems the greater shock absorbing system on a mountain bike, the greater damage is
> > possible because one can travel at greater speeds and displace more surface material when
> > braking, skidding, and accelerating. Terri Alvillar
> > http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html
>
> I love these physics arguments. They are so unproductive....
>
> OK, soil fails not because of FORCE, but because of PRESSURE. Two completely different concepts.
> (Look it up in any soils book; the bearing capacity of soil is in force/area, not force.)
>
> Pressure is always equal to the pressure in one's tires. Exceed that, you get snakebite punctures.
>
> Granted, there are dynamics in play like erosion, liquefaction, and who knows what else, but
> the fact remains that there is no neat, clear answer. No need to argue about suspension or
> anything else.
>
> As to what is worse, who knows? Ultimately, does it matter?
>
> Trails will be built, maintained, and used. If you're against it, get over it, cooperate and
> you'll get a lot more achieved.
>
> BTW, Terri, I looked at your site, and the "illegal" trail. Looks like a well-maintained trail in
> a recreational area. It seems to me that if it was illegal, surely your local Soils Conservation
> folks - or whoever has jurisdiction over soil disturbing activities - would have taken enforcement
> action, no?
>
> Certainly, "thousands of cubic yards" of excavation is a major project that would involve hundreds
> of dump truck loads, excavators, and large backhoes. Not something one does "just for fun". It
> would also have to be permitted under local laws and under the federal Clean Water Act. I can
> maybe see where a bobcat was used to move a bit of dirt. So, is it really illegal, or do you just
> not like it? Or are you exaggerating the "thousands of yards" just for fun? Tell the truth, now.
>
> -Dondo

Yes, enforcement action has been taken. The county is requiring a complete CEQA review and
retroactive permits. It's in the beginning stages. As for the earth moving methods used to construct
the illegal trails, you would have to ask the illegal trail builders, BTC and BTCEB, Forest Knolls
Freewheelers, etc. Terri Alvillar
http://homepage.mac.com/terrialvillar/mountainbikedamage/PhotoAlbum11.html

> .Why are we discussing the impact of a bike that is not even moving? A
bike
> .that is not moving, by definition has no impact.
>
> BS. Put a nonmoving bike on top of an insect, and see how well it
survives. DUH!

Put a nonmoving hiker on top of the same insect, and you have the same problem.

The bike is not the issue in this argument, therefore it is not valid support for banning bikes.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > .Why are we discussing the impact of a bike that is not even moving? A
> bike
> > .that is not moving, by definition has no impact.
> >
> > BS. Put a nonmoving bike on top of an insect, and see how well it
> survives. DUH!
> >

> Put a nonmoving hiker on top of the same insect, and you have the same problem.
>
> The bike is not the issue in this argument, therefore it is not valid support for banning bikes.

Put a nonmoving whitetil deer on the same insect and see what happens.

DUH!

DOS

| On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:00:05 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| .news:[email protected]... .| On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:33:12 +0100, "Simon"
<[email protected]>
| .| wrote: .<snip that which mv cant understand> .| .| .Simon........doesnt the fact you ride a
| bike on paved streets negate
your
| .| .whole ethos and arguments anyway? .| .| Why? I don't harm any wildlife there. .| === . .So the
| laying of streets and towns over "natural habitat" has caused no .damage to wildlife?
|
| Non sequitur. I don't advocate paving. In fact, I advocate depaving. If
you had
| read my web site, as you claimed, you would know that.

Oh I know what your website states. I am fast believing you are not against anything except
mountainbikes. What you are saying though is this: you dont like paving and would like to remove it
but whilst its there you shall use it. Seems like me really, i dont like any damage to the
wilderness but hey if someones already built jumps why not use them!

Your own chaotic approach to debating is rather strange.

Simon

CandT wrote:
> [...]
> acceleration experienced by the wheels is less (acceleration = change in velocity / time), also
> for the most part, it is only the mass of the wheels that accelerate up and down, and not the
> whole mass of the bike. Therefore the actual change in momentum (N2) is less (as both the the mass
> and the acceleration is less), the comparative force applied on the bike and rider
> (N2) are therefore lower (giving a smoother ride) and hence reaction force and damage applied to
> the ground (N3) is equally as low.
>
> These fundamental laws are used in many other situations, for example crumple zones and air bags
> lower the damage to the driver and the other body involved, by spreading the impact over a longer
> time and hence lowering the force experienced by the driver. These fundamental properties in
> question here may also be referred to as impulse. </CONTRIBUTION>

Didn't I already say that? I've put the ol' troll back on the killfile, as should you all...
although this thread is a pretty entertaining read ;)

Jon Bond

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:56:03 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

>BS. Unless you have eliminated gravity, the force is greater than that of a lighter bike. The TIME
>of action may be delayed, but eventually, the full force of the bike's total weight gets applied to
>the ground.

:)

>BS. Gravity doesn't change.

:-D

>BS. At some point, the spring stops moving (at its extreme extent or compression), and the full
>force of the bike's weight (including the added weight of the suspension) is applied to the ground!
>At that point, the suspension bike is applying a greater force to the ground. QED

LOL

>BS. Air bags don't protect one from gravity. Eventually, the air bag stops moving, & then only
>gravity is working.

ROTFLMAO

>===
>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
>help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Thanks Mike - I really needed that... I'd have paid money to sit through comedy like that usually...

Go on - get it out of your system - I'm not replying because.... um let me see... because I can't
refute your irrefuteable arguments and logic. Yep - your right - I have no defense against your
particular brand of 'logic'. All I have is this annoying 'common sense'.

CandT

Mike Vandeman wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:04:20 -0400, PeterH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> .>But you don't know what that effect is. For example, standing still,
>the .>suspension is nothing but ADDED DEAD WEIGHT. .> .> .> .This thread concerned, at one time,
>the effects of an activity. F=MA . .Dead weight does not enter that rather straightforward
>equation.
>
>Thanks for showing your complete ignorance of physics. Gravity IS an acceleration! So dead weight
>is caused by gravity. DUH!

Gravity is mutual attraction between masses. Even the President of MIT is ready to say, indeed has
said in a Scientific American article - I'll dig out the reference for your elucidation - that there
is no coherent explanation for gravity. The A of the equation is angular momentum or change of
relative position through a given period of time. If the measured A of an object at rest is zero,
the destruction of habitat beneath that object is mighty questionable.

DUH DUH DUH DAH

--
The best thing to do with a stupid remark is to not hear it.
R. Heinlein

Mike Vandeman wrote:

>. .Why are we discussing the impact of a bike that is not even moving? A bike .that is not moving,
>by definition has no impact.
>
>BS. Put a nonmoving bike on top of an insect, and see how well it survives. DUH!

All your blither-blather began with harrangues over soil/terrain damage allegedly caused only by
mountain bikes. Now your examples are buggy.

Ptee H

--

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> going to have difficulty with any meaningful discussions.

We sure got that! And for the forseeable future, also.

Pete H

--

Mike Vandeman wrote:

>ECIFIC about what I said .>wrong, it would be obvious that you are full of it. .> .> .> .> .I
>rest my case.
>
>Your "case" NEEDS a rest. :) It is all tuckered out. No, PETERED out.

By St. Menses, you do have a glimmering of figurative language after all!

Pete H